QUESTION

  • Photoart
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 26, 1999
      I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF HERBS AND VITAMINS FOR HEP, THEY WANT TO DO THE 18 COMBO,THE 1ST DIDN'T WORK,BUT DON WANT TO GO THREW THAT AGAIN,
      PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MARTINE BEVEL
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
        Thank you for answering my e-mail.I just joined ..Please forgive my
        ignorance..Are you a member the doc. ? Thank you again...Barbara
      • sbfla@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
          i am sorry I forgot to send the original letter from you..Barbara

        • CONSHYJO@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
            NO im just another patient with hep c strugling along.
            Joe
          • sbfla@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
              o.k.Joe..thanks..we live in Fla. do you mind if I ask where you live?
              And how are you doing? barbara

            • CONSHYJO@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                No Problem Conshohocken Pa. 10 miles west of Phil My son lives in fla in
                Gainesville
              • NexusTeam@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                  Barbara:
                  No, I'm not a doc or in the medical profession at all. He does respond to
                  questions when he can though.

                  The support group you joined has a master list and everybody gets a copy of
                  your questions, comments, and answers and you get a copy of our stuff too.
                  Hopefully there will be some information that you can use! I guess you could
                  always e-mail whoever you wanted to, without everybody getting a copy.
                  Here's the doc's e-mail address (gidoc@...) if you feel more comfortable
                  corresponding with just him. Of course, we're happy to have you along also!
                  :)

                  I'm in the group because I have Hep C also. Your husband was lucky that he
                  could tolerate the combo therapy, because after two months on it I sure
                  couldn't. I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to tolerate a new drug in
                  the future.

                  Hugs, Hollie
                • sbfla@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                    Gainesville is about an hour west of here.
                  • CONSHYJO@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                      Ok yor near jacksonville
                    • NexusTeam@xxx.xxx
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                        So you're close to Cedar Key? That's where the husband and I usually go for
                        special occassions (birthdays, anniversaries). Nice area! Hollie
                      • AABASSO@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                          your chat emails are going out to thousands of people. can you guys chat
                          privately. your loading up everyones mailbox's
                        • sbfla@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                            I am sorry..I just joined and was not aware of this.Barbara

                          • byteme
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                              I also live in Central Florida, and I am a provider of health care. If I
                              can help, let me know. Marty
                            • Doc
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                                For Barbara,
                                Here is the info of your interest:
                                Approximately 5%-10% of sustained responders will relapse with HCV
                                infection over the next 5-10 years
                                All HCV patients who achieve a sustained response to interferon
                                monotherapy have been shown to have a "durable" response. Ninety-five
                                percent of such patients continue to have undetectable virus when
                                followed for 3-5 years. Whether this finding holds true for patients
                                receiving combination interferon/ribavirin therapy has not previously
                                been addressed but results one such study are available now.
                                A subset of 316 sustained responders have now been followed for more
                                than 6 months to determine whether the response to treatment is durable.
                                Ninety-seven percent of patients demonstrated a durable response
                                (defined as the absence of detectable HCV RNA when followed a further 12
                                to 36 months after cessation of therapy). Thus, the late relapse rate
                                was < 3% and the durability of the response appeared to be equivalent
                                for combination interferon/ribavirin and interferon monotherapy. These
                                findings indicate that irrespective of treatment strategy, a sustained
                                virologic response 6 months after cessation of treatment will most
                                likely be maintained in the majority of patients. This study will
                                continue with a total follow-up of 5 years.
                                However, A subset of 316 sustained responders have now been followed for
                                more than 6 months to determine whether the response to treatment is
                                durable. Ninety-seven percent of patients demonstrated a durable
                                response (defined as the absence of detectable HCV RNA when followed a
                                further 12 to 36 months after cessation of therapy). Thus, the late
                                relapse rate was < 3% and the durability of the response appeared to be
                                equivalent for combination interferon/ribavirin and interferon
                                monotherapy. These findings indicate that irrespective of treatment
                                strategy, a sustained virologic response 6 months after cessation of
                                treatment will most likely be maintained in the majority of patients.
                                This study will continue with a total follow-up of 5 years.
                                However results of previous studies have shown that individuals with
                                hepatitis C and advanced fibrosis or cirrhosis respond less well to
                                antiviral therapy.
                                The viral genotype also has an effect on treatment outcome.
                                70%-80% of those infected with genotypes 2 and 3 will be sustained
                                responders to therapy compared with only 10%-20% of patients with
                                genotype 1. He also noted that approximately 5%-10% of sustained
                                responders will relapse with HCV infection over the next 5-10 years.

                                Dr Sharat C Misra MD, DM
                                Consultant Gastroenterologist & Hepatologist
                                Each morning is the doorway to a new world,
                                A beginning of infinite possibilities.

                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                                  In a message dated 1/10/2000 1:14:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                  AABASSO@... writes:

                                  << rom: AABASSO@...

                                  your chat emails are going out to thousands of people. can you guys chat
                                  privately. your loading up everyones mailbox's

                                  I fail to see where your problem is with the "chat" emails. For some, this
                                  list is the only support they have. Yes, we definitely rely on

                                • Brendagoez@xxx.xxx
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 11, 2000
                                    Dear Barbara,
                                    What was/is his PCR level when he ended treatment? And why was he on it for
                                    only 6 months?
                                    Love,
                                    Bren
                                  • McCoyAngel@xxx.xxx
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 11, 2000
                                      I was on interferon alone for 6 mos and couldn't take it anymore. Then went
                                      on the combo when it was approved. After the first...the response lasted
                                      only as long as the shots. But its now been 6 mos since the combo and LFT's
                                      are still normal. I will get a HEP C RNA done tomorrow and we'll see.
                                      Amy
                                    • Brendagoez@xxx.xxx
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 11, 2000
                                        Good Luck Amy - let us know your results.
                                        Love,
                                        Bren
                                      • Papaspridg@xxx.xxx
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 11, 2000
                                          Amy, Hello
                                          Sorry to sound uninformed but could you explain RNA, is that the viral load?
                                          Tom
                                        • Papaspridg@xxx.xxx
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 11, 2000
                                            Hello All
                                            This will sound strange but I'm still lost with all the abbreviations what do
                                            all of the RNA, MCW, RDW, VL and all the rest mean? I get a print out and an
                                            explanation of my lab results but when I get out of the office and have time
                                            between work being sick and most of all the kids, I'm lost for what
                                            everything means.
                                            Could someone please help?
                                            Tom
                                          • Brendagoez@xxx.xxx
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 11, 2000
                                              <A HREF="http://www.carbonbased.com/cbcblood.htm">CBC Blood Chemistry
                                              Definitions</A>
                                            • Brendagoez@xxx.xxx
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 12, 2000
                                                In a message dated 1/11/2000 8:55:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                                Papaspridg@... writes:

                                                << RNA, is that the viral load? >>RNA stands for "Rbionuclear acid" What
                                                does that mean? ha ha I'll try to explain it as best I can without further
                                                confusing you. HCV is a single stranded RNA virus. And yes, you could say it
                                                is your viral load although the correct term for your viral load is PCR RNA.
                                              • VJannell@xxx.xxx
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 15, 2000
                                                  Hi-see if you can download Layman's Guide to Hep C Viral Load - part 2 in
                                                  series. This was best thing I ever read explaining in "dummy" terms what is
                                                  going on. Good luck. Vickie
                                                • Mark Reynolds
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 15, 2000
                                                    To GI-World-Hepatitis@onelist.com
                                                    Please take me off this list. I"m flooded with to much mail signed
                                                    marey@...

                                                  • kalidurga@webtv.net
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Apr 15, 2000
                                                      I am in my eight month of the combo and most of the physical side
                                                      affects are gone, except being tired, and having sore arms if i sleep
                                                      too long on one side at night. I was on Interferon alone in 1993 and i
                                                      did it for six months, so i didnt know what to expect after the six
                                                      month mark this time.
                                                      well beside having NO interest in sex, which is fine with me, I have
                                                      been getting depressed alot. I am on Wellbutrin, because of my history
                                                      of depression, and now my psychiatrist just started me on a low dose of
                                                      Prozac also. I havent told me specialist or primary care, because they
                                                      said they would never have put me on it, unless was on meds for the
                                                      depression. now that the depression seems to be hitting me stronger, i
                                                      dont want them to pull me off the meds. My viral load and labs are good.
                                                      Im genotype 1b and need to stay on for 48 weeks.
                                                      My question;

                                                      is it wise to take a week or so off to take a rest from the drugs? will
                                                      that take away from the depression if i do take a week or so off? Or
                                                      would that be dumb, and not be good for my liver?

                                                      The depression just was starting to bother me the day after the shot, i
                                                      do mine at 9 pm, so the next morning i am pretty wiped out and down. but
                                                      now it seems to have a mind of its own. it just hits me. i could be
                                                      laughing with a friend, or watching tv, or someone might say something
                                                      and 'pow', i literally feel myself falling into a depression. i hate it,
                                                      because i reminds me of when i was a child.

                                                      i know a side affect is depression from the combo, but as anyone else
                                                      actually stoped the combo for a short while? and if so, did it help?

                                                      i am 31 years old and have not been this depressed since my teenage
                                                      years. i have always worked ALOT and i am known for my energy, which
                                                      bothers me now since i have none, i am a vegetarian and eat healthy,
                                                      dont drink or smoke or do drugs. i am not working, which i think makes
                                                      me feel isolated, but sometimes i am wiped out, i do get out and walk my
                                                      dog 1 to 3 hours a day, i live near a fenced dog park in the city and i
                                                      socialize alot there, that helps.
                                                      but i a so sick of the ups and downs. this is how i know its the combo.

                                                      i hate to vent, i dont post much. i have joined many onelist groups,
                                                      ones for; hep, depression, loneliess and i was hoping that would help.

                                                      the two hep support groups here in boston are once a month, and i was
                                                      told they are basically medically orientated, and not like a support
                                                      group to talk about emotions.

                                                      if anyone has any suggestions PLEASE get back to me. i want to fight
                                                      this awful disease. i just had a frend who had a kidney transplant, his
                                                      sisters gave him one, WOW!!!, and it really hit home to what may lie
                                                      ahead.

                                                      im open for suggestions.
                                                      Thanks.
                                                    • mlenear@healthcite.com
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 31, 2001
                                                        --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@y..., "Photoart" <photoart@v...> wrote:
                                                        > I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF HERBS AND VITAMINS FOR HEP, THEY
                                                        WANT TO DO THE 18 COMBO,THE 1ST DIDN'T WORK,BUT DON WANT TO GO THREW
                                                        THAT AGAIN,
                                                        > PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MARTINE BEVEL

                                                        Hi Martine,

                                                        You can find a bunch of information about Hep B at the following
                                                        http://www.healthcite.com/HealthReview/p2215.html

                                                        If you look under the Treatments section you will find stuff about
                                                        conventional treatments as well as alternative/herbal therapies.

                                                        Best Regards,

                                                        Monica Lenear
                                                        HealthCite
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                                                          Hi Martine,
                                                          I missed this message from you I guess, never saw
                                                          it. When is it from? What reason did whoever give
                                                          you for wanting you back on combo, when it didn't work
                                                          once already? Is it the exact same dose and
                                                          everything? I will see what info I have on
                                                          alternatives, but I don't think it's much. Keep in
                                                          mind they may help, but none will get rid of the
                                                          virus. I did find a really great place to look up
                                                          info on herbs and supplements, including toxicities,
                                                          side effects, and indications, also drug interactions,
                                                          etc. It is: The Natural Pharmacist -
                                                          http://www.tnp.com/home.asp
                                                          Good luck,
                                                          Claudine