Interesting support group meeting tonight

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 13, 2001
      Hi everyone!
      We had a guest speaker at our support group
      meeting tonight, a transplant coordinator from the
      University Health System here. We talked about many
      things, but one of the things she brought up was the
      ability to transplant HCV+ livers into HCV+ people.
      She said NO special donor information is needed in
      advance. Just the usual things, like signing a donor
      card, discussing ahead of time with your family that
      you want to be an organ donor. At the time brain death
      is determined in an organ doner, they are ALL tested
      for blood borne diseases. Then the donor organ (liver)
      is examined to see if it is in good enough condition
      to be donated to an HCV+ person. She said right now
      not all transplant centers are doing this, it is
      fairly new, but they have been doing it here in San
      Antonio for several years now with excellent results.
      She also said that right now no other organs other
      than the livers are being used, but they are looking
      into the possibility of kidneys. She did not think
      they could use hearts, lungs, or corneas, although she
      didn't say why. The other really interesting thing
      she said was the the NEW, current estimate of how many
      people in the United States are infected with HCV is
      now 18%! This is up from the CDC's old estimate of
      1.4%. They (CDC) had recently admitted they knew it
      was an underestimate (they had never included prison
      populations in their original estimate, and it seems
      like there was another group too but I can't
      remember!) but they were WAY off. My math is not too
      great, but that is nearly 1 out of every 5 or 6 people
      in the US who is infected, and most don't even know
      it. This is scary. Her opinion also is that there is
      not a decrease in the number of new cases each year,
      like some have said, (now that blood is screened for
      HCV), just the #1 mode of transmission has changed. It
      used to be blood transfusion, now it's IV drug use. (I
      have seen estimates of a 90% rate of HCV infection in
      the IV drug user population - please don't ask me
      where, I can't remember for sure! It may have been the
      person from the SA health department a few months ago,
      and she may have just been talking about here in San
      Antonio) With those kind of numbers SOMEONE is going
      to have to wake up and start paying attention to this
      problem. I've heard it said that for every one person
      with HIV, there are 5 with HCV. With this new estimate
      of 18%, I wonder how that figure changes? And still,
      most people don't even know what HCV is! Well, I
      thought all that was kind of interesting and thought
      maybe some of you would find it interesting too!

      http://personals.yahoo.com
    • Lora
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 14, 2001
        I haven't been posting much but have been reading :-). I really want to thank you for the time & effort you take to obtain & share the info you come across & research!
        God bless ya bunches! Lora

        ---