Non responders dumb question

  • Ron Miller
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 30, 2001
      Went to my PCP last week to have my epilepsy meds level checked he did a
      battery of blood test,called today said everything ok keep taking my
      epilepsy med as mormal,also said my liver enzymes are 65/70 CMP and the same
      test 1.5 years ago was 51/52. WHAT dose all this mean??
      Ron Miller
      D.T.V. Texas
    • Edie
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 30, 2001
        Ron,

        It is normal for liver enzymes to cycle almost by the minute. As for what
        is high or not, it depends on the test. You'd have to ask your dr. if your
        numbers are high.

        I have had ALT/AST numbers as low as 13 and as high as 50. On my particular
        test, 51 was considered 'high'.

        Edie

        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 30, 2001
          --- Ron Miller <rlmbkm@...> wrote:
          said my liver enzymes
          > are 65/70 CMP and the same
          > test 1.5 years ago was 51/52. WHAT dose all this
          > mean??

          Ron, that really means nothing. That is no significant
          change whatsoever. Those enzymes fluctuate up and down
          all the time, from day to day. It's really not enough
          of a change to worry about - although you might should
          have them checked more often!
          Take care,
          Claudine

          PS: There are NO dumb questions!

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • Ron Miller
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 30, 2001
            Ok,is lower better or higher?
            Ron Miller
            D.T.V. Texas

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 30, 2001
              Lower is better than higher, but don't panic. Two
              weeks prior to when your blood was drawn this time,
              the enzymes might have been 40/49. Or 68/89. No way to
              know. They go up, they go down. They are out of what
              is considered normal range, and that is about all it
              says. Elevated LFTs are a sign that some ongoing
              inflammation is occurring, but they don't tell you how
              bad it is, and it also doesn't tell you anything about
              how much damage/fibrosis has occurred. Only a biopsy
              can really tell you what is really going on in your
              liver.
              Claudine

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 30, 2001
                Hi Ron and Claudine

                How often should we be tested for AST/ALT levels? I've only been once
                and AST was double normal and ALT was above normal. I'm seeing the GI
                on Nov. 15th so expecting a lot of tests then...just curious as to how
                often it should be done?

                Carol

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 30, 2001
                  With my limited knowledge Ron, lower is better...someone correct me if
                  I'm wrong. I think lower anything is better when it comes to HVC.

                  Carol

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 30, 2001
                    --- Carol <csean@...> wrote:
                    > How often should we be tested for AST/ALT levels?

                    Hi Carol,
                    I don't think there is one right answer. I would
                    say, in general, for someone not on treatment,
                    probably every 6 months. But each person is an
                    individual, and individual conditions might warrent
                    either more frequent testing (like someone with
                    advanced fibrosis or cirrhosis) or even less frequent
                    (like for someone with known fibrosis score of zero,
                    and consistantly normal or near normal LFT, once a
                    year may be enough.) Other factors, such as other
                    health conditions or medications may require more
                    frequent monitoring. I'm sure all doctor's probably
                    have their own ideas too. Before I knew I had HCV I
                    had a doctor who was having me come in every 3 months
                    to have my LFT checked. He was very confused that they
                    were slightly elevated consistantly. He never thought
                    to check me for hepatitis! He just kept telling me to
                    'stop drinking so much', I would say 'I'm not', and he
                    would say, 'well, I guess it's the muscle relaxers and
                    pain meds then'. ????? I think that really he
                    thought I was lying about how much I drank - which
                    really was not much, only a glass of wine or a beer
                    occasionally. Now, knowing all I know - that I don't
                    have any fibrosis left, and very little inflammation,
                    I don't worry too much about my LFT's. The main reason
                    I continue to get them check fairly regularly is
                    because I take Vioxx daily. A biopsy is THE important
                    test to have. The ALT and AST really don't mean much
                    until you know how they are in relation to what
                    condition your liver is in. They are not reliable in
                    and of themselves.

                    http://personals.yahoo.com
                  • AndromedaGurl
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 31, 2001
                      I think my alt/ast scores were in the 30's and 40's a few months ago. My
                      limits were something like 50 or 60 something. Sorry I can't be more clear,
                      I seem to have misplaced my labs, and I try to keep them!

                      So if you are in that range I think you are prolly in the OK range. Your lab
                      report should give you the limits. It'll say something like < 60 or
                      something like that which means that if the test result is less than 60 (a
                      number I just picked not a real test limit), then you are cool. If above 60
                      then you are out of spec, above the "norm" for their lab tests.

                      Your alt/ast labs look fairly normal to me and I wouldn't worry about them
                      too much, but if you are concerned definitely talk to your Doc. Your liver
                      enzymes like your PCR will fluctuate.

                      For someone not on treatment, how often you get tested is up to you and your
                      doctor, of course, but doing a basic CBC, getting your liver enzymes
                      periodically just kinda lets the doc know nothing really drastic is
                      happening (you hope). People with cirrhosis can have normal liver enzymes,
                      tho that isn't the norm. So they are sort of a guideline, loose and not very
                      specific.

                      Your basic and most important hep test is of course the liver biopsy, and
                      the viral load (PCR), then maybe the genotype if you are considering
                      treatment.

                      I concern myself with how often to biopsy. I get a CBC done every year to
                      every 2 years. (got em a helluva lot more on treatment, as I should) How
                      often you get yours is kinda up to you and doc, working as a team.

                      Sometimes when I am feeling very bad for a long time and no other thing can
                      be identified to cause it, I'll go in to the doc and ask for a CBC just to
                      check things out.

                      Like this damned itching I have! What do they call it "urticarta"? something
                      like that, wierd name for the old fashioned hives. Have had this since
                      itching since June and I'm taking Atarax for it to keep me out of the funny
                      farm! haha. When I went to doc for it, when I realized it wasn't gonna go
                      away, doc did some bloodwork to make sure it wasn't bilirubin or somesuch
                      causing the itching. Fortunately, my CBC was just peachy keen and as usual
                      with hives, it's what we call at work an NTF - No Fault Found. ARG! Very
                      frustrating haha but at least not life threatening.

                      So it's good to get your bloodwork done periodically, keep the tests for
                      comparison, and work with your doc on any changes in hep sides. If you feel
                      there are some hep symptoms that are not usual, or something happens or
                      changes on you, don't hesitate to tell doc and research the problem.

                      Good luck!

                      alley
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 31, 2001
                        --- AndromedaGurl <andromedagurl@...> wrote
                        > Like this damned itching I have! What do they call
                        > it "urticarta"? something
                        > like that, wierd name for the old fashioned hives.
                        > Have had this since
                        > itching since June ... it's what we call at work an
                        NTF - No
                        > Fault Found. ARG! Very
                        > frustrating haha but at least not life threatening.
                        Alley,
                        My mother had this problem, constant breaking out with
                        hives, her doctor could not find a cause. He kept
                        giving her antihistamines, then a low dose of
                        prednisone, for almost a year. That barely kept them
                        in check. I finally talked her into changing doctors,
                        to one who would refer her to an allergist. It turned
                        out she was allergic to cat hair, peanuts, shellfish,
                        and bananas. She took shots for a year, because she
                        has cats and wouldn't get rid of them, but no more
                        medications, and no more hives either, for several
                        years now. She did try taking that stuff for joints,
                        Glucosamine and Chondroiten (sp?), a few months ago,
                        and broke out in hives again, but upon reading the
                        label discovered it was derived from shellfish. So you
                        might consider a food allergy to something. Naturally,
                        it's usually something you love! (She was always
                        eating peanut butter and banana sandwiches)

                        http://personals.yahoo.com
                      • AndromedaGurl
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2001
                          Well with this cancer and surgery coming up, I may not need to worry about
                          an allergist haaaaaaaaaaa (morbid humor I know)

                          I think I'm allergic to grandkids. Most definitely!

                          thanks

                          allergic alley