Chronic Hepatitis C Virus Infection Associated With Primary Warm-type Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2001
      Chronic Hepatitis C Virus Infection Associated With
      Primary Warm-type Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia

      Ta-Chung Chao, M.D.; Chih-Yen Chen, M.D.; Yi-Hwan
      Yang, M.D.; Po-Min Chen, M.D.; Full-Young Chang, M.D.;
      Shou-Dong Lee, M.D.

      From the Division of Gastroenterology and Oncology,
      Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General
      Hospital and National Yang-Ming University School of
      Medicine, Taiwan.

      JOURNAL OF CLINICAL GASTROENTEROLOGY 2001;33:232-233

      Abstract

      Autoimmune hematologic abnormalities are not well
      recognized in chronic hepatitis C virus infection. We
      demonstrate an unusual association between primary
      autoimmune hemolytic anemia and chronic hepatitis C
      virus infection. A 69-year-old woman who had a history
      of hepatitis C virus�related liver cirrhosis was found
      to have deteriorating anemia with reticulocytosis when
      admitted to the hospital. Laboratory work revealed
      both positive direct and indirect Coombs' tests, and
      warm-type immunoglobulin G against surface antigens of
      red blood cells. After prednisolone therapy, her
      anemia improved dramatically. To our knowledge, this
      is the first reported case of chronic hepatitis C
      virus infection linked with autoimmune hemolytic
      anemia in its natural course, not related to prior
      interferon treatment. Our report suggests that
      isolated autoimmune hemolytic anemia may be one of the
      unusual hematologic manifestations of chronic
      hepatitis C virus infection.

      Key Words: Autoantibody; Autoimmune; Hemolytic anemia;
      Hepatitis C; Warm

      J Clin Gastroenterol 2001 September;33(3):232-233
      Copyright � 2001 Lippincott Williams & Wilkins
      All rights reserved

      Ta-Chung Chao, M.D.; Chih-Yen Chen, M.D.; Yi-Hwan
      Yang, M.D.; Po-Min Chen, M.D.; Full-Young Chang, M.D.;
      Shou-Dong Lee, M.D.

      From the Division of Gastroenterology and Oncology,

      http://phone.yahoo.com