Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] The mosquito is not a vector for hepatitis C

  • sylvati
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2001
      OK so its not a reservoir for hepC but if a mozzy were to bite a hepper,
      then soon after bite a non hepper couldn't there still be a risk of
      transmission? no different to sharing a needle, surely

      love Sylv

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2001
        --- sylvati <sylvati@...> wrote:
        > OK so its not a reservoir for hepC but if a mozzy
        > were to bite a hepper,
        > then soon after bite a non hepper couldn't there
        > still be a risk of
        > transmission? no different to sharing a needle,
        > surely
        That is kind of the impression I got too. Not
        impossible, just not probable. 11% of those caught in
        HCV+ homes tested +? That may be reassuring to some,
        but I actually didn't like it at all! Those pests are
        a nightmare here! If one 'feeds' and is brushed off,
        what if it goes right on to the next person? How many
        people does it take to fill one up? I have no clue
        whatsoever.

        http://phone.yahoo.com
      • Doc
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2001
          Mosquitoes have definitely been inplicated in the transmission of Hep B.
          Hep C virus is not a sturdy virus plus it is not easliy transmissable by minute amount of blood.
          However they can be a possible source of infection when the amount of blood transmitted
          increases..like more fresh bites. Practically it is not probable.

          Dr Sharat C Misra MD, DM