RE: So darn confused--thanks

  • cher_002@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2001
      Thanks for the pep talk Claudine--u r exactly right-it is the
      secretaries job to deal with these insurance companies. I would think
      that would come under her job description! And if the insurance
      approves that drug and agrees to pay for some or all of it and I need
      to change the prescription--again it is her job to deal with them -
      again-if she hs too!! I've been waiting now for almost 3 weeks for an
      answer from her from the insurance company and when I call (each
      week) I get the answer (I'm working on it) Apparently, she can't seem
      to get the insurance company to send her some type of form so I guess
      tht one isn't her fault. I just feel so powerless in the "not knowing
      thing" if they r going to approve and pay 4 this or not as I
      certainly can't afford to pay for it at all. What do people do who hs
      this disease that hs absolutley no insurance--which could very well
      hv been my case--just lucked out on it this one time--otherwise there
      is no way I would hv been able to get a biospy or all the lab work
      they want to do all the time to keep an eye on your numbers. That is
      the main reason I put off being tested for this for so long because
      b4 i didn't hv any insurance and figured if i did hv it (which I
      strongly suspected I did) I cdn't afford to do anythig about it
      anyway. But really, what do the people do that don't hv insurance to
      cover these biopsies, labs, and the very expensive medicine. Perhaps
      that is y the percentage is so high in hep deaths is because people
      can't get treated because they can't afford it and hs no insurance.
      If that is the case then I would imagine the statitics would be very
      inaccurate because a high percentage of the deaths from this disease
      would not be from the disease itself but from non-treatment beacuse
      people cdn't afford it or hd no insurance.I know that a small
      percentage can get on trials or studies to cover some expenses but
      most wouldn't/coudn't get on that 4 some reason or another. So
      really, what do people do??
      cher
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2001
        --- cher_002@... wrote:
        I've been waiting now for
        > almost 3 weeks for an
        > answer from her from the insurance company and when
        > I call (each
        > week) I get the answer (I'm working on it)
        > Apparently, she can't seem
        > to get the insurance company to send her some type
        > of form so I guess
        > tht one isn't her fault.

        Maybe, maybe not. If I were you, I'd call the
        insurance company myself to find out what is going on.
        There could be stalling on either or both ends.
        However, after dealing with more than one insurance
        company over the years I'd say USUALLY when something
        just insn't happening it's because the doctor's office
        has NOT asked for or filled out the proper paper work.
        Not always - I did have an ins. co. rep tell me they
        wouldn't cover a certain doctor (after I had already
        been to him of course) after they had already said
        they did.... Two phone calls and I had it straightened
        out. Also, they know your insurance won't last forever
        so stalling may be to their benefit. I would call
        them, and write down dates, time, and person you
        talked to. Often the phone calls are recorded too.
        Once it's documented that you are aware of a delay and
        want it resolved, it somehow seems to get resolved!
        They can probably FAX whatever form your doctor needs
        that same day - if that is the real problem. Amazing!
        It sounds like you need to work BOTH ends. I could be
        wrong, but I would bet the delay is coming from the
        nurse. A call to the insurance company should get
        things rolling though. A missing form is a pretty lame
        excuse.
        I don't know what people with no insurance do
        either! I was told that the San Antonio Metro. Health
        Dist. does free HCV screening, but they don't
        'promote' it, because they don't really know what to
        do with those who test positive. They are aware there
        is probably a huge HCV positive population, and those
        who are coming in and being tested and are + are being
        referred to county health services, Medicaid if they
        qualify, or to some private doctors who they have
        worked out agreements with, but they have stated there
        is simply not enough money to treat all the people who
        would probably turn up positive. They don't know what
        to do either. It is definitely a real problem,
        especially the lab tests required.

        http://im.yahoo.com