So darn confused

  • cher_002@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2001
      Okay, so is rebetol the same thing as ribavarian??? A girl I know who
      jut finished the "older version" of interferon, i am almost sure she
      ws on rebetol which is the same as ribaarian, which is just another
      name for it, right??? So since Peg alone is useless, really, without
      the ribavarian, why can't they get a script fro the dr for the peg
      and then a separate script for the ribavirian. Of course, I am not
      understanding this right I am sure. If I can ever get it thru my dr's
      head that peg is approved and if it can be prescribed (the rebetol or
      ribavarian-if tht is the same thing) then it ws almost be worth it to
      wait the few extra weeks, but of course that would also mean the
      little secretarys in his office would hv to start all over in their
      office to get my insurance to approve it. They were none to happy
      about hving to deal with my insurance company to start with regarding
      my insurance as my insurance says "pending pre-authorization from
      dr". Which I hv been told that if they can just get a piece of paper
      mailed or faxed to fill out that usually after that it is approved
      for me to hv the medication where they will pay for it or most of it.
      But the way I look @ it, that is those secretarys jobs but they acted
      none to happy with the fact that they were the ones who had to deal
      with my insurance company and not me. There ws nothing I cd do since
      it had to be "bounced back" to the dr's office.
      Anyway, if anyone cd help me clear this up for me I wd appreciate it.
      cher
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2001
        Cher,
        Yes, Rebetol is the 'brand' name for ribavirin.
        Your friend was on a pre-packacked treatment called
        'Rebetron' (the names are very close!) which was a
        'kit' that contained Intron-A, and Rebetol
        (ribavirin). It used to be the only way to get Rebetol
        (ribavirin) was to buy the kit Rebetron. A very shrewd
        deal for the drug manufacture! However, when they
        developed the Peg-Intron, all the sudden they were
        loosing money, since they had approval from the FDA to
        only sell the Rebetol/ribavirin in a kit form with the
        Intron-A. So they filed an amended drug application
        with the FDA to begin selling the Rebetol/ribavirin
        alone - not in that kit. The FDA approved the sale of
        Rebetol/ribavirin alone on July 25th.
        --- cher_002@... wrote:
        So since Peg alone is useless,
        > really, without
        > the ribavarian, why can't they get a script fro the
        > dr for the peg
        > and then a separate script for the ribavirian.

        That is what I've been trying to say! You CAN get a
        prescription for the Peg-Intron, and another
        prescription for the Rebetol! Who cares if it makes
        more work for the secretraries to redo the letter to
        the insurance company? IT IS THEIR JOB! They get paid
        for that! And it's not like it is all that much work
        anyway. You are paying a lot of money for your
        insurance, you may as well get the BEST that you can
        while you can! And since this Peg-Intron along with
        ribavirin (Rebetol) has been approved by the FDA for
        people who have never been on treatment (that's
        treatment naive) they will have to pay for it. The
        'preapproval' letter thing is just a formality. By the
        time the paperwork is done the pharmacy should be able
        to get the Rebetol from the drug mfg. for you.

        http://im.yahoo.com