Another question

  • cher_002@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 31, 2001
      Wait a min--what do do u mean "packaged" together. R u saying u can
      get them separate or what...just trying to understand. So Ribavarian
      is already on the market??/ Just not packaged "with" the peg intron
      together??? And if i get to the dr's office the 14th (he goes by appt
      only--not like I can re-schedule an earlier appt just to talk to him
      again) If u call u get blocked by the damn receptionist/secretary who
      is none to helpful. For the longest time she held me up in seeing a
      psch because she gave off the strong impression that i had to see
      someone that they recommended so she certainly held that aspect up
      till the very last min on me.
      Oh, okay, now about that urine. Like I said it ws a little dark by
      yesterday evening again....usually normal color in the morn. And yes,
      I think u r right it is because of the not enough fluids. I hv laid
      off everything except the selenium vit E vit C alpha lipoic acid and
      milk thistle and I will certainly be looking 4 another milk thistle
      that u mentioned. Don't think me weird but I also had my daughter pee
      in a cup and checked the color of hers compared to mine and it ws
      just a little dark also, but I KNOW she doesn't drink enough fluids
      so she is changing her ways. We all forget to drink that water, I
      think. I know b4 I got this I certainly never drank near enough. Well
      thnks again for any feedback. Ummmmm maybe I should "mail" some print
      outs to his office since the seceretary "blocks" his phone calls. And
      I'll bet u dollar to doughnuts when I mention how he wd handle the
      sides with me he will say something like "well, that just goes with
      it" I'll bet u on that one. Just seems that way.
    • Pat
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 31, 2001
        Riba the pills and interferon the shots used to be "bundled" and the FDA or whatever, maybe just the drug maker, didn't allow separation of the pills and the shots. Maybe so you couldn't do another drug maker brand of interferon and do the riba, who knows, a marketing strategy for sure.

        So, Schering, the drug maker, had to get permission from FDA I think to separate the two and allow the riba to "come with" the PEG interferon, or be sent separately.

        When the doc wriote a script, before peg, it was for rebetron, which meant combination of interferon and ribavirin. It was a big deal for my doc to be able to write a script for more interferon, according to my ins company, who already had their "packaged" together and shipped from their own pharmacy/warehouse.

        luckily it wasn't a hassle with my ins company, but I can imagine with some it could be quite a hassle.

        Pat

        mailto:alleypat@... andromedagurl@...

        note: alleypat@... will be disconnected at the end of August

      • Pat
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 31, 2001
          <<"well, that just goes with it" I'll bet u on that one. Just seems that way.>>

          Hope you dont' own a gun haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

          Hey I let my combo rage loose when my doc did something I didn't agree with!!!!! I'm always one to utilize my weaknesses into strengths hahahahaha.

          What antidepressant are you on?

          And that attitude by your doc WON"T be acceptable when you are hurting. Try to clear a path of understanding with your doc now, before you need help that he may not provide.

          I wonder if a court would rule it insanity if I'd have beheaded my gastro while on combo?

          (Can just see Doc shivering! Just kidding!!!... sorta :)

          Gengis Alley Combo Kahn

          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 31, 2001
            --- cher_002@... wrote:
            > Wait a min--what do do u mean "packaged" together. R
            > u saying u can
            > get them separate or what...

            Before, the only way you could get ribavirin was to
            buy the Schering brand of interferon, Intron-A,
            pre-packaged with the ribavirin (Rebetol), the combo
            packaging being called 'Rebetron'. You could buy the
            interferon by itself, but not the ribavirin. Now
            however, you can get the ribavirin separately or
            prepackaged with the Peg-Intron. (You see, the FDA has
            to approve each of these ways it can be sold). The
            benefit is that now a doctor can legally prescribe
            ribavirin so you can use it with another brand of
            interferon, and NOT just Schering's brand. Soon (early
            2002?) there will be another brand of pegylated
            interferon available, made by Hoffeman-La Roche,
            called Pegasys, and by the FDA approving the sale of
            ribavirin 'unbundled' from the interferon, a doctor
            could prescribe Pegasys and write a separate
            prescription for ribavirin. A person will have more
            options now. Not all interferons are the same!

            >Ummmmm maybe I should
            > "mail" some print
            > outs to his office
            Good idea - mail now, but take along copies anyway at
            your next appt. date.

            > I'll bet u dollar to doughnuts when I mention how he
            > wd handle the
            > sides with me he will say something like "well, that
            > just goes with
            > it" I'll bet u on that one. Just seems that way.
            Try to ask some really specific questions and be
            persistant. If it doesn't work, then try talking to
            your primary care doctor about your concerns. Try to
            get his help, take him info if he's open to it. The
            worst side effects are usually in the first few weeks,
            so it's right there in the beginning you need the most
            help! Try to prepare for it now. I guess you can say,
            prepare for the worst, but expect the best. Some
            people have very few side effects, and you could be
            one of them!
            Claudine
            PS: If your already not drinking enough, get in the
            habit NOW! The treatment medications really dehydrate
            you and dehydration can/will make everything much
            worse - fatigue, nausea, headaches, etc. DRINK lots of
            water!

            http://im.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 31, 2001
              Hi Alley....I hope this becomes available in Canada soon. I met a woman today who's 50 and has had HCV for 30 years. She has been to a gastro but NEVER has had a liver biopsy!! Sheeesh, Canada is so far behind....we'll never catch up. I bet Canada has never heard of interferon either....I'll find out at next
              Dr. appt. Sheeeeesh.

              Carol

              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 31, 2001
                Hmmmm, I'd like to see you make a "test" case of this....would rival the OJ trial. lol Alley.

                Pat wrote:

                > <<"well, that just goes with it" I'll bet u on that one. Just seems that way.>>
                >
                > Hope you dont' own a gun haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                >
                > Hey I let my combo rage loose when my doc did something I didn't agree with!!!!! I'm always one to utilize my weaknesses into strengths hahahahaha.
                >
                > What antidepressant are you on?
                >
                > And that attitude by your doc WON"T be acceptable when you are hurting. Try to clear a path of understanding with your doc now, before you need help that he may not provide.
                >
                > I wonder if a court would rule it insanity if I'd have beheaded my gastro while on combo?
                >
                > (Can just see Doc shivering! Just kidding!!!... sorta :)
                >
                > Gengis Alley Combo Kahn
                >
                > Pat
                >
                > mailto:alleypat@... andromedagurl@...
                >
                > note: alleypat@... will be disconnected at the end of August

              • Constance Dickson
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 1 7:33 AM
                  They have heard of it Carol, they have had a class
                  action suit against Blood Banks there......13 Million?

                  Come on guys if I am stating the wrong thing, TC...C

                  http://im.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 1 9:28 AM
                    Rebetron should be available in Canada. I know a fellow hepper who lived
                    in Newfoundland (closest town was St. Johns) who fought to get on
                    treatment when they first approved it to be part of their socialized
                    medicine. She succeeded in getting tx and that was probalby one and a
                    half years ago. She has now left this earth walk so I can't get any
                    additional details for you.

                    Now, she wasn't always honest with me but I seriously doubt she would
                    have lied about that. And she had a real legal battle to be approved for
                    treatment because they had just approved it and she was fairly advanced
                    in liver fibrosis.

                    Just thought I'd toss that out..

                    Tatezi

                    Carol wrote:

                    > Hi Alley....I hope this becomes available in Canada soon. I met a
                    > woman today who's 50 and has had HCV for 30 years. She has been to a
                    > gastro but NEVER has had a liver biopsy!! Sheeesh, Canada is so far
                    > behind....we'll never catch up. I bet Canada has never heard of
                    > interferon either....I'll find out at next
                    > Dr. appt. Sheeeeesh.
                    >
                    > Carol
                    >
                    > Pat wrote:
                    >
                    > > Riba the pills and interferon the shots used to be "bundled" and the
                    > FDA or whatever, maybe just the drug maker, didn't allow separation of
                    > the pills and the shots. Maybe so you couldn't do another drug maker
                    > brand of interferon and do the riba, who knows, a marketing strategy
                    > for sure.
                    > >
                    > > So, Schering, the drug maker, had to get permission from FDA I think
                    > to separate the two and allow the riba to "come with" the PEG
                    > interferon, or be sent separately.
                    > >
                    > > When the doc wriote a script, before peg, it was for rebetron, which
                    > meant combination of interferon and ribavirin. It was a big deal for
                    > my doc to be able to write a script for more interferon, according to
                    > my ins company, who already had their "packaged" together and shipped
                    > from their own pharmacy/warehouse.
                    > >
                    > > luckily it wasn't a hassle with my ins company, but I can imagine
                    > with some it could be quite a hassle.
                    > >
                    > > Pat
                    > >
                    > > mailto:alleypat@... andromedagurl@...
                    > >
                    > > note: alleypat@... will be disconnected at the end of August

                    > > Welcome to GIHepWorld
                    > >
                    > > Post message: GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com
                    > > Subscribe: GIWorld-Hepatitis-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

                    > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    [Image]
                    [Image][Image][Image] Gender:[Image]

                    Female
                    Male
                    [Image] Weight:
                    [Image] lbs.kg.
                    [Image][Image][Image][Image] [Image]

                    by the way its animals are treated." ~Mahatma Gandhi~

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 1 8:48 PM
                      Thanks Connie....I was just getting so disgusted with Canada and the fact that
                      they haven't even done a biopsy on a friend who's had HCV for 30 years. I was
                      being sarcastic me thinks lol. I know about the class action suit for anyone
                      infected through blood banks. What I didn't know, was that Canada bought blood
                      from USA. Since blood donations here are not for monetary reward but strictly
                      from compassion I guess a lot of people fell under the false impression that
                      the blood was safer. Of course it isn't if it's not screened.

                      Carol

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 1 9:15 PM
                        Dear Carol,
                        Please be advised that when Bill Clinton was governor of the state of
                        Arkansas, he sold blood to Canada. This blood came from prisoners in the
                        state prison. No tessts for HCV or HIV were preformed beforehand. There has
                        been a book written about this. I don't have all the literature, but it was
                        my understanding that Cananda had sued him and the state of Arkansas. You
                        might want to check into this. When I finish up with my own mess, I will
                        help you. Right now, I can't.
                        LOL,

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 1 10:54 PM
                          Thanks Anne....but I wasn't infected through a blood transfusion so I'm not in
                          the litigation process, thank God....I don't think I could handle that right
                          now. I was simply interested in the fact that it happened. I was quite
                          shocked. I think if there was more publicity over this a lot of Canadians would
                          be up in arms, so to speak.

                          Thanks anyway Anne
                          Happy moving
                          Carol

                          AVansi7465@... wrote:

                          > Dear Carol,
                          > Please be advised that when Bill Clinton was governor of the state of
                          > Arkansas, he sold blood to Canada. This blood came from prisoners in the
                          > state prison. No tessts for HCV or HIV were preformed beforehand. There has
                          > been a book written about this. I don't have all the literature, but it was
                          > my understanding that Cananda had sued him and the state of Arkansas. You
                          > might want to check into this. When I finish up with my own mess, I will
                          > help you. Right now, I can't.
                          > LOL,
                          > Anne

                        • runabout_104
                          Message 12 of 22 , Feb 21, 2002
                            If your enzymes are coming down is there a good chance that your
                            viral load is too? Or is that a whole different ball game? Also,
                            someone asked me the other dy if interferon is given to people with
                            cirochiss. No virus just cirochiss. I didn't think it ws given for
                            that but I don't want to be giving out any wrong information. If a
                            person that has severe cirochiss and stops the offending behavior
                            (alcohol) will the liver start to heal or is it too late. Someone I
                            know stopped drinking 3 months ago and then built up very badly with
                            fluid--since she hs stopped the offending behaviour will the liver
                            start to rejuvinate itself at all??
                            cher
                          • Patricia Jean
                            Message 13 of 22 , Feb 21, 2002
                              liver enzymes and liver damage don't "always" match up, and especially with
                              viral load.

                              My liver enyzmes are normal, my viral load is >850,000 IU, and I have mild
                              liver damage. So altho they can be indicators of a problem happening, if the
                              enzymes aren't up, doesn't mean nothing is happening. Hope that makes sense.

                              Good questions about the cirrhosis. But I don't know I'll let someone else
                              answer that one :)

                              alley
                            • Edie
                              Message 14 of 22 , Feb 21, 2002
                                Cher,

                                Before I started treatment, my liver enzymes bounced around like crazy.
                                They went up and down like a roller coaster. Then, as treatment went on and
                                on, my doctor noticed that my enzymes pretty much started to stay level. He
                                remarked this to me at about week 18.

                                He told me it was a good sign.

                                Then, at week 24, I found out my viral load was undetectable!

                                I don't know if there is a correlation here. This is just my experience. I
                                had very minimal liver damage to start with. I am a 1a that started with
                                3.2 million copies. Also, in week 48, my enzymes are still staying in the
                                20-30 range.

                                Edie
                                Week 48 of Combo

                                > If your enzymes are coming down is there a good chance that your
                                > viral load is too? Or is that a whole different ball game? Also,
                                > someone asked me the other dy if interferon is given to people with
                                > cirochiss. No virus just cirochiss. I didn't think it ws given for
                                > that but I don't want to be giving out any wrong information. If a
                                > person that has severe cirochiss and stops the offending behavior
                                > (alcohol) will the liver start to heal or is it too late. Someone I
                                > know stopped drinking 3 months ago and then built up very badly with
                                > fluid--since she hs stopped the offending behaviour will the liver
                                > start to rejuvinate itself at all??
                                > cher

                              • runabout_104
                                Message 15 of 22 , Apr 6, 2002
                                  Like I posted before, I am almost done with recommended treatment of
                                  6 month course for genotype 2b w/cirochiss. I ws just wondering if u
                                  r still experiencing symptons of hep, I guess that means the viral
                                  load and virus is still there and the chance of reaching undetectable
                                  would not be good. Symptons i am talking about are still dark urine.
                                  However, if i drink a glass of water, it goes normal. Also, I hv had
                                  the red palms (which is also a symton of hep) for years and years and
                                  that is still there. My eyes are not yellow nor my skin, but eyes
                                  look cloudy. So, i see symptons of hep still lurking around so this
                                  can't be good if i am physically seeing this, right??? Also, i
                                  thought there ws suppose to be a viral load done @ 12 weeks and here
                                  I am almost finished and I hvn't had one done and only hv had 2 liver
                                  tests that tells about the enzymes alt and ast and both of them were
                                  normal. The first one ws done @ 7 weeks into treatment and they were
                                  normal and the second one the enzymes were even lower, but I guess
                                  one doesn't hv anything to do with the other. Just because u hv
                                  normal enzymes doesn't necessarily mean the viral load is coming
                                  down, right. I know I sound and I am getting really anxious right now
                                  and a little scared because if the dr won't extend the course of
                                  treatment for me, this is it for me and I am coming down to the wire
                                  now. So if anyone hs any responses for me and and all r appreciated.
                                  This group hs been so helpful to me and u hv always been there for me
                                  and I very much appreciate this.
                                  cher
                                • Doc

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 7, 2002
                                      Cher, I am a 2b too. I didn't go undectable until my 9th month of treatment!
                                      I had stage II fibrosis, normal enzymes. My starting viral load was greater
                                      than 5 million copies. I was kept on treatment for 13 months and as of Feb.
                                      I have remained undectable. I too developed hemolytic anemia and had weekly
                                      labs for all 13 months. Couldn't take full dose of the Riba. Anyway, ur doc
                                      should keep u on longer if u haven't gone undectable yet. It just may take u
                                      a little longer like it did me. Best of luck, hang in there. This too shall
                                      pass! lvoe, mzgee

                                    • runabout_104
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 6, 2002
                                        Also, I hv heard a lot of people talk abut the coQ10 for energy. Does
                                        it work and is it also liver friendly. I know it is also a little on
                                        the expensive side but if it works it wd be worth it. Also, I need to
                                        find a GOOD multi-vitimin and a GOOD calcium vitamin and i get so
                                        confused when i go to the vitamin section and look as i don't want to
                                        get anything that will "hurt" me. Also, is it good for us to drink
                                        those ensure drinks if we feel we r not getting enough of whatever in
                                        our diets. My diet hs been the most hardest to change and i just
                                        can't seem to do. Old habits die hard. I don't even know how to cook
                                        anymore with this stuff, although my GI did say for right now, eat
                                        whatever I want, but i kind of doubt this. Same as the nurse at the
                                        begining when i asked when i ws first put on treatment if there
                                        should be some special diet to follow or certain things to eat and
                                        not eat and ws told "NO, u either make it or u don't". Dr's
                                        especially in these rural areas (and prob other places too, but more
                                        so in the rural areas) had better get a grip on this and do it fast.
                                        One girl ws turned down @ my dr.'s office when they asked what kind
                                        of medication she ws on and she ws honest and told them everything
                                        including methadone and ws tld it ws his policy not to treat anyone
                                        on methadone. I am being treated so isn't that on the discrimination
                                        side. I ws prob the first he had seen though and it hs never been an
                                        issue and it hs never come up except the one time he asked in his
                                        office what meds i ws on. Now, he is hving his receptionist ask when
                                        people call for appts. What's up with that??? I hv read a few studies
                                        on methadone treated patients vs patients receiving treatment without
                                        methadone and as far as out come of result there weren't any unless
                                        the person continued to use drugs while on treatment, but looks to me
                                        that would be easy enough to find out thru tox screens or whatever. I
                                        hv given my gastro permission to talk to the clinic i go to and vice
                                        versa so it wd be easy enough to check out and my friend wuld also hv
                                        signed the releases. Does anyone know if Shering and Plough can do
                                        sonething about this or do they care?? Just a thought???? Now my
                                        friend doesn't know what to do and she is discourged and afraid of
                                        being honest the next time for fear of not being seen or even
                                        treated. I also don't feel it is right that a receptionist hs the
                                        right to ask these medical questions over the phone. Wdn't that also
                                        be a confidential issue. Lots to think of..Any info appreciated.
                                      • Patricia Jean
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 6, 2002
                                          From what I've read, most people on methadone and with HCV do not get to do treatment while on meth. Treatment could cause them to return to the drugs they are trying to get off of. I had mild sides while on combo, but still I kept my Vicodin and other pain meds handy and did need them from time to time.

                                          I'm sure the doc is more concerned with causing more problems than anything for people who are on methadone. If he allowed them to do treatment while on meth and something happened, like they returned to their illegal drug use or killed themselves from depression, etc., then the doctor could be held liable. I don't know the details but that is my impression.

                                          I have talked to a few alcoholics who were sober several years and the treatment screwed up their brain and they went back to drinking. It's not that the treatment is so bad in itself, but it can screw with the body and mind enough to make someone who is already battling past problems like addiction return to their old lifestyle. It kind of unbalances ya when what the person might need is a sort of balance and control.

                                          If you are on methadone and doing treatment, then I have to assume that your doc feels comfortable with that and knows what's going on. Or, do you think he made a mistake putting you on methadone and now is making sure he doesn't do it again? It's really uncommon for someone on meth to do treatment. I sure as hell wouldn't want to do that.

                                          I don't know why a receptionist would ask if they were on methadone on the phone. I think that may constitute an ethical issue and maybe needs to be addressed with the doctor. It could just be a misunderstanding.

                                          When I have gone to ER for migraines I've had a couple of nurses ask me how I got hcv and I say 2 c sections and rho gam shots, take yer pick. But they definitely look at me like I'm a druggie. I try to remind myself they are just working people and have the wrong information and I feel it's my duty to share the info on hep c when I can.

                                          So maybe you should discuss that with your doctor. See why he is doing something a particular way. He may have some reasons we can't see.

                                          alley

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 6, 2002
                                            Ask a 100 people about the 'right' diet and you will get a 100
                                            different answers. So - here's mine!

                                            I don't think there is any 'magic' diet, or one that is the 'right'
                                            one for everyone. Everybody is different. I think the most important
                                            thing is to eat a low fat, well balanced diet, and don't eat any
                                            iron-fortified foods. (That is mostly processed breakfast cereals).
                                            Try to eat a variety of foods. Remember those 'food groups' you
                                            learned about in school? I think that is still the most important
                                            guide line. Lean meats, chicken, eggs, or other protein sources;
                                            whole grain breads and cereals, vegetables, low-fat or skim milk,
                                            cheese, yogurt, lots of veggies and fruits - the fresher the better.
                                            And start with what you like! If you try to make a bunch of drastic
                                            changes you probably won't stick with it. Those nutritional
                                            supplement drinks are ok, just read the labels before buying. Some
                                            have a higher iron count than others, and go with low-fat. Also,
                                            drink lots of water.

                                            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                                          • runabout_104
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Aug 24, 2002
                                              I hv a question regarding a person I hv not met yet, but hs hep C and
                                              I was asked to talk to him in regards to hepatitis since I had been
                                              on treatment, he hd no where to turn or no one to ask questions of.
                                              Anyway, the only info I hv @ the moment is that the dr. he is seeing
                                              right now won't treat him because he hs cirochiss. I too, hv
                                              cirrochis. Can someone give me some info regarding y he won't be
                                              treated or direct me to some sites for info. Could it be he hs found
                                              a dr that is from the "old school" and thinks cirochiss is "the
                                              end".The dr that ws treating me made the remark that he recommended
                                              treatment, at least I wd be doing something towards it. What kind of
                                              statement is that anyway??? I just don't get it. Anyay, any info that
                                              u can give me to help this guy or sites u can direct me to that I can
                                              get some info that this guy can take to his dr, I wd appreciate it,
                                              if anyone hs time. Thanks
                                              cher
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Aug 24, 2002
                                                Treating a person with cirrhosis is considered to be strictly up to
                                                the doctor and each person should be individually evaluated. Some
                                                doctors just won't consider it however. It could be he has a doctor
                                                who just doesn't want to treat him, or feels like his cirrhosis is so
                                                advanced that it would be dangerous. However, some doctors will even
                                                cautiously treat people in liver failure while on a transplant
                                                waiting list. It is really at the doctor's discretion. If he has
                                                early cirrhosis he should definitely be on treatment unless he has
                                                other health conditions you don't know about. He should probably get
                                                a second opinion. If his cirrhosis is really very advanced it is true
                                                that treatment is much more risky. (Of course, so is doing nothing.)
                                                If it were me I would definitely be looking for another doctor.
                                                Claudine

                                                http://finance.yahoo.com