cher again

  • cher_002@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 30, 2001
      Thanks to all for the responses--thanks claudine and Doc. Okay,
      question, say there is something on the off chance going on with say
      my gall bladder--wdn't there be other symtons. What wd I need to be
      looking out for and wdn't they hv seen that when they did the biopsy
      as i had a ct scan-full body-and I belive i saw ultra sound somewhere
      on one of bills, but not real sure. I will hv to go back to look.
      Like i said with the urine--I can get up in the morn and it will be
      just as normal looking as can be but as the day wears on by 5:00 it
      is all of a sudden dark-like a bright orange looking color-sometimes
      almost like the color of orange pop and then i can drink some water
      and there is back to normal again. Today I didn't drink that much
      water so I want to see what the color will be in the morn. Prob think
      i'm strange to keep checking the color like this but it is really
      blowing my mind @ at times. Yes, claudine, I wd like to get into to
      see another dr, but I wonder if i wd hv 5 months or longer with the
      disease getting steadily worse-that is is a biggie that bothers me
      with the enzymes steadily climbing all the time. Also, yes, I do live
      in the stae of VA and i'm sure I wd hv to hv a referral to the UVA
      from another dr. Okay, another question, so now I know for sure all
      this new medication which i hv read hs higher response rates
      especially the one where they want people who hv never been on any
      treatment b4 (I wd be perfect candidate for that) but still after
      reading all the articles that everyone sent tell me exactly the one I
      need to be asking for that is on the market now with the highest
      response rate. I read somewhere that one of the new ones--Peg-
      something hs a 56% rate of success versus the older version of
      treatment of 20-30% response rate. And with me hving a 2b my odds cd
      possibly be even higher. Another thing, I hv to be real careful about
      is -see- at the moment I ws laid off my job a couple of months ago
      and ws smart enough to keep the insurance under the COBRA ACT (even
      though that means exhorbant premiums for me) but luckily I kept it
      and pay the high premimusm but the thing is I am kind of on a time
      limit with be able to keep this insurance so time is of essence in
      being able to keep it. It's not like I get to keep it for a real long
      period of time. So I am really up against. I just want the best
      treatment available out there. What exactly do i need to be asking
      the dr for. I am so confused even with reading all the articles.
      HELP! What is out there right now that I need to be asking him four
      than is approved with the best response rate. If its out there, I'm
      just going to hv to get aggressive with him and get the damn best
      prescription I can get out of him and if that means he hs to do some
      homework so be it, but I bet he is already giving the older version
      of treatment injections for approval to my insurance company. Time is
      not really on my side on this one. I ws thinking as soon as I get
      the script out of him then get him to refer me to UVA so that if
      this doesn't work, I can least be somewhere where they can suggest
      something else.My next question to him is how many hep patients he is
      treating @ the time. Howveer, he will prob tell me he "can't answer
      that" or some crap like that. I do know that the pharmaicist in that
      building he is practicing hs 4 people they r getting the medicine for
      as the pharmacist told me that. I mentioned the newer peg versions of
      treatment to the pharmacist also and they kind of looked @ me like I
      had 2 heads or something!! What's up with that?? Who knows. Thanks
      for putting up with all my ignorance--everyone seems so educated and
      knows exactly what to do and i feel as though I am out here in left
      field somewhere. Thanks
      Cher
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 30, 2001
        Cher, this is want you want, and IS available NOW.
        Schering's Peg-Intron. Then, you also want the drug
        ribavirin. It should be available in the pharmacies
        within a couple of weeks or so. And within a few
        weeks, you should be able to get the two medicines
        packaged together. A few weeks may sound like a long
        time, but it's really not. Why don't you make copies
        of those approval notices and take them to your GI
        doctor, tell him obviously his sales rep is slacking
        off. You DON'T want the old combo. If you have to,
        take the Peg-Intron and add the ribavirin as soon as
        you can. I'd suggest getting some help from your other
        doctor too. Talk this other doctor about
        antidepressants (if you aren't already on one). Ask
        your GI NOW how he will treat side effects like
        nausea, joint and muscle pain, depression. If he's not
        prepared to help, see what you can work out with your
        primary care doc. Another thing to consider,
        especially with your insurance situation, is studies
        and clinical trials. Call the Univ. of VA, see if they
        have any going on, or know of any doctors doing
        studies. One good place to find out about studies is
        at http://www.hepatitisneighborhood.com/ (there is a
        lot of good info at that site) However, there are
        often many studies NOT listed.
        About your urine color - could you be simply not
        drinking enough water throughout the day? It is pretty
        easy to get dehydrated, especially in this summer
        heat, and that will turn your urine a dark color.
        Take care,

        http://im.yahoo.com
      • Constance Dickson
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
          Do you think if I can that I should go the new
          Interferon. Even though I am doing 5 million of it
          now every night. Before I did the customary dose the
          3 x 3....I feel human again that stuff that Cara, what
          ever it is......Take Care, Connie
          LOL, well one thing it will do is be able to find a
          spot for a shot

          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Pat
          Message 4 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
            Cher..

            What Claudine said DRINK LOTS OF WATER! cokes, tea and coffee dont' count.

            Definitely be on a good antidepressant BEFORE you start treatment.

            Definitely have a doc who will work with you on the sides of treatment - joint pain, nausea, headaches, etc. I was dumped to a different doc when my gastro moved and that doc said that if I'm having migraines I should stop treatment and I was doing it 6 months already! I used a LOT of 4 letter words to him! And found another doc. The migraines were temp, hepc isn't!

            However I disagree with Claudine on the PEG... PEG so far is only available in a syringe. I HATE syringes. I could have waited for PEG and chose not to. The pen for interferon was a piece of cake, didn't feel a thing, and the way I did my dosing, every other day, no breaks, I got more interferon in my system than I would have with PEG. PEG lasts only 4 to 6 days in your system. How you feel is a lot based on the ups and downs of the amount of interferon in your body. I'm not telling you to not do PEG, just my thots on it and how and why I did my combo.

            Definitely do the interferon and the ribavirin. Much much better success rate. A genotype two "usually" only has to do 6 months of treatment. Now this of course may be different for you and your situation.

            I forgot where you were, if you're in Canada, the PEG may be slower in being able to be used with the riba. Check it out.

            And don't be in a hurry to do this. Make sure your life is at a point where you can cope with all the sides.

            Good luck!

            alley

            Pat

            mailto:alleypat@... andromedagurl@...

            note: alleypat@... will be disconnected at the end of August

          • Pat
            Message 5 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
              Cher.... I dunno about Doc and the rest, but I been reading up on hep C and hep B for about 10 years now.

              Message 6 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
                --- Constance Dickson
                <constance_clearwater_florida@...> wrote:
                > Do you think if I can that I should go the new
                > Interferon. Even though I am doing 5 million of it
                > now every night.

                I think it's probably such a close toss-up as to which
                is better, it probably doesn't matter. But one
                injection a week, as opposed to 7..... guess which I'd
                choose, lol! I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.

                http://im.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
                  --- Pat <andromedagurl@...> wrote:
                  > However I disagree with Claudine on the PEG... PEG
                  > so far is only available in a syringe. I HATE
                  > syringes. I could have waited for PEG and chose not
                  > to. The pen for interferon was a piece of cake,
                  > didn't feel a thing, and the way I did my dosing,
                  > every other day, no breaks, I got more interferon in
                  > my system than I would have with PEG. PEG lasts only
                  > 4 to 6 days in your system.

                  And I have to disagree with you on this alley!
                  I did the same combo (I even did 5mu instead of the
                  3mu), but with syringes. They have tiny little
                  needles, and are not difficult to use! However, what I
                  mainly disagree with you on is effectiveness. The
                  pegylated interferons gradually (within a few weeks)
                  build up until there is a steadier amount in your
                  system. You have a much more level, steady amount in
                  your body with the pegylated than regular interferon.
                  Regular interferon is completely gone out of your
                  system in LESS than 24 hours. That means that between
                  each injection (if you are doing them every other day)
                  the virus STILL gets a 24 hour break, plenty of time
                  in which to recuperate - which it does with a
                  vengeance! (HCV has a very short life span, and can
                  multiply at up to a trillion viruses a day!) And if
                  you do it the typical, 3 times a week schedule, then
                  once each week the virus has 48 hours to recover. This
                  is why this type of interferon is not effective for
                  most people, and why the pegylated interferons have
                  better success rates. The only way the regular
                  interferon/ribavirin combo effectiveness comes close
                  to the peg-combo effectiveness is if the injections
                  are given every day. This is a virus you don't want
                  to give even a tiny break, and the old comb gives it a
                  big break! Personally, I would wait for the Pegasys
                  (Roche brand of pegylated interferon), which has a
                  longer half life than the Peg-Intron, and may have
                  less side effects, but it probably won't be available
                  until next year now.
                  (Ok, that's my rebuttal, lol!)

                  http://im.yahoo.com
                • Constance Dickson
                  Message 8 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
                    Claudine I was wondering that .....would they give me
                    one shot and it equal out to 35 mil that I am getting
                    now?

                    --- claudine intexas <claudineintexas@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- Constance Dickson
                    > <constance_clearwater_florida@...> wrote:
                    > > Do you think if I can that I should go the new
                    > > Interferon. Even though I am doing 5 million of
                    > it
                    > > now every night.
                    >
                    > I think it's probably such a close toss-up as to
                    > which
                    > is better, it probably doesn't matter. But one
                    > injection a week, as opposed to 7..... guess which
                    > I'd
                    > choose, lol! I'm glad to hear you are feeling
                    > better.
                    > Claudine

                    http://im.yahoo.com
                  • Constance Dickson
                    Message 9 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
                      Anyone here know how to kill GA roaches they are icky
                      but smart...neighbors moved and they be coming to live
                      with Connie
                      How they are smart is they see you or sense you
                      going to whack them.....And they jump and/or just let
                      loose and fall. I have never seen anything like it.
                      FL roaches be dumbbbbbbbbbb I have used 5 cans of
                      spray on these suckers as they run by and wave at me,
                      now I have some Boric Acid that my Mom would use and
                      we never had them. HELPPPPPPPPP I HATE THEM and they
                      are not afraid..............TC, Connie

                      http://im.yahoo.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
                        Boric Acid....

                        You can buy it in large containers in hardware stores and most pest
                        supply places now carry it. Sprinkly it around the sides of your
                        cabinets, around the edges of rooms, etc.

                        Roaches are very clean insects and when they return to their nests, they
                        always clean themselves before going into the next. There is a chemical
                        reaction in their systems with boric acid (you know, like you use for
                        eye washes....or even like in Borateen the laundry stuff) and it causes
                        them to explode. All my neighbors have problems with roaches and I
                        haven't seen one in my apartment in years. The only thing I use is boric
                        acid....I don't use poisens because they get in the air, I breathe the
                        air and those toxins enter my body and then my liver has to deal with
                        the toxins.

                        Another interesting tip....Ants will not cross a line of salt. If you
                        have problems with ants coming in through a window or a door sill, lay a
                        nice thick line of salt down...they won't cross it.

                        Tatezi

                        Constance Dickson wrote:

                        > Anyone here know how to kill GA roaches they are icky
                        > but smart...neighbors moved and they be coming to live
                        > with Connie
                        > How they are smart is they see you or sense you
                        > going to whack them.....And they jump and/or just let
                        > loose and fall. I have never seen anything like it.
                        > FL roaches be dumbbbbbbbbbb I have used 5 cans of
                        > spray on these suckers as they run by and wave at me,
                        > now I have some Boric Acid that my Mom would use and
                        > we never had them. HELPPPPPPPPP I HATE THEM and they
                        > are not afraid..............TC, Connie

                        > Messenger
                        > http://im.yahoo.com
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                        [Lose 20 lbs by November 5th!]

                        by the way its animals are treated." ~Mahatma Gandhi~

                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
                          --- Constance Dickson
                          <constance_clearwater_florida@...> wrote:
                          > Claudine I was wondering that .....would they give
                          > me
                          > one shot and it equal out to 35 mil that I am
                          > getting
                          > now?
                          Connie,
                          I have NO idea. Maybe Doc knows. I'm not even sure
                          what the dose is for the Peg-Intron! However, I'm not
                          really sure if that would make a huge difference in
                          your case. You are not in a usual situation.
                          'Maintainence' dosing is still guess work.
                          And I doubt if you having antibodies to B would have
                          anything at all to do with your C virus not
                          responding. They are two entirely different viruses,
                          not even related! You are just one of the unlucky
                          ones, like me, who have a truly interferon-resistant
                          strain of this virus. It can happen with ANY genotype,
                          just much more often in us 1s. So, we just have to
                          hang in there, try to do what ever we need to do to
                          keep our livers in as good of condition as possible,
                          until they come up with something that our viruses are
                          not so resistant to.

                          http://im.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
                            You know all that poisen is bad for your liver!!! But
                            yeah, I know, somehow you have to get rid of them! Try
                            the roach baits. They don't work IMMEDIATLEY, but
                            within a couple of weeks, no more roaches. We have
                            some whopper roaches here in Texas and that is what I
                            have found to work best. Just follow the directions. I
                            have not seen a roach since they came out with this
                            stuff. However, your neighbors will need to use it
                            too, or theirs will just keep moving over to your
                            house!

                            http://im.yahoo.com
                          • Constance Dickson
                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
                              They EXPLODE, WOW, exploding roaches....I got some
                              boric acid today happen to see it and remembered my
                              Mom using it. She actually used soda caps the old
                              kind...real glass... ahe used bottle caps to the Boric
                              Acid and then mixed sugar with it I suppose that was
                              to entice them. I Dunno, sounds good to me though I
                              have a neighbor with ants I will tell her about it,
                              Thanks

                              http://im.yahoo.com
                            • Constance Dickson
                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
                                You talking like the roach motels. I thought about it
                                being toxic the spray. But I can not stand roaches.

                                http://im.yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
                                  --- Tatezi <tatezi@...> wrote:
                                  > Boric Acid....
                                  Don't know about GA, but boric acid didn't make a dent
                                  in my Texas roach population when I still lived in San
                                  Antonio! I spent a whole weekend putting the stuff
                                  EVERYWHERE. Nothing, no results! Shortly thereafter,
                                  the house was burned badly in a fire, that got rid of
                                  them. That is pretty drastic though, I'd try the roach
                                  baits first, lol!

                                  http://im.yahoo.com
                                • Constance Dickson
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
                                    How about a club and a Torch. Root them out and then
                                    burn them up or slug them with the club...LOL...Think
                                    it would work....I am just renting, and the landlord
                                    said I could do anything I wanted....LOL.....I think
                                    he meant painting and stuff what you think?....TC, C

                                    http://im.yahoo.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
                                      Dear Connie,
                                      Have you ever seen the movie or read the book "Damnation Alley". I have
                                      lived with roaches and gotten rid of them. I'm with every body
                                      else..........boric acid.

                                      I won't spray my house because I have cats, not to mention me. I've been
                                      exposed to enough chemicals, thank you very much. It works every time.

                                      If you have mice, too, I have another trick for that, short of a shotgun,
                                      which always works, but blows one heck of hole in your floor.

                                      If you have a fly problem, or a slug problem put out beer in a glass. They
                                      all come running and drown. Just remember to empty them everyday and refill
                                      the bowl. They won't come near it if the sense they're dead compadres.

                                      Hope this helps.

                                    • Doc
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Aug 31, 2001
                                        Peg is convenient to inject once or twice a week..dosage delivered is essentaily similar but higher
                                        doses can be delivered too.
                                        I think in Connie's case I would just continue the same regimen as she is tolerating it reasonably
                                        well till now. Switching to PEG will be easy on her but I dont know if she will be able to get hold
                                        of it.

                                        Dr Sharat C Misra MD, DM

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 1, 2001
                                          Anne these are great suggestions. I don't have roaches, anymore. I moved out
                                          of an apartment building to get rid of them....drastic yes, but I can't stand
                                          them. The big problem in apartment buildings is the managment usually sprays
                                          the vacated apartment near yours, thus they come to you. It's a roller coaster,
                                          so I moved to a house and that took care of that.

                                          Carol

                                          AVansi7465@... wrote:

                                          > Dear Connie,
                                          > Have you ever seen the movie or read the book "Damnation Alley". I have
                                          > lived with roaches and gotten rid of them. I'm with every body
                                          > else..........boric acid.
                                          >
                                          > I won't spray my house because I have cats, not to mention me. I've been
                                          > exposed to enough chemicals, thank you very much. It works every time.
                                          >
                                          > If you have mice, too, I have another trick for that, short of a shotgun,
                                          > which always works, but blows one heck of hole in your floor.
                                          >
                                          > If you have a fly problem, or a slug problem put out beer in a glass. They
                                          > all come running and drown. Just remember to empty them everyday and refill
                                          > the bowl. They won't come near it if the sense they're dead compadres.
                                          >
                                          > Hope this helps.
                                          >
                                          > Anne

                                        • AndromedaGurl
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 2, 2001
                                            They must be the smart relatives of Texas two-step roaches lol

                                            We recently had our house treated for roaches, ants and waterbugs. Nowadays
                                            they do a kind of spray into the walls, a foam stuff that lasts 45 to 60
                                            days and they put the powder down (which I always use). I was concerned
                                            because the grandkids live here and I didn't want anything that might harm
                                            them.

                                            If you are in an apt, notify the landlord/managers immediately.

                                            good luck!

                                            alley
                                          • AndromedaGurl
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 2, 2001
                                              My roaches were picky, they NEVER went in those damned baits!
                                            • AndromedaGurl
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 2, 2001
                                                Claudine said <<But one
                                                injection a week, as opposed to 7..... >>

                                                Yeah but I'd choose the pen over the syringe any day.
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 6, 2001
                                                  In a message dated 9/1/2001 9:32:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, csean@...
                                                  writes:

                                                  > Anne these are great suggestions. I don't have roaches, anymore. I moved
                                                  > out
                                                  > of an apartment building to get rid of them....drastic yes, but I can't
                                                  > stand
                                                  > them. The big problem in apartment buildings is the managment usually
                                                  > sprays
                                                  > the vacated apartment near yours, thus they come to you. It's a roller
                                                  > coaster,
                                                  > so I moved to a house and that took care of that.
                                                  >
                                                  > Carol

                                                  Dear Carol,

                                                  You're right, but the same problem can occur if your neighbors next door move
                                                  and the little suckers don't have any food left to eat. Guess who's next on
                                                  the list......you.

                                                  I agree, apartments are worse, BUT having been a landlady who lived on sight,
                                                  I had a STEADFAST rule

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Sep 6, 2001
                                                    writes:

                                                    > Anne these are great suggestions. I don't have roaches, anymore. I moved
                                                    > out
                                                    > of an apartment building to get rid of them....drastic yes, but I can't
                                                    > stand
                                                    > them. The big problem in apartment buildings is the managment usually
                                                    > sprays
                                                    > the vacated apartment near yours, thus they come to you. It's a roller
                                                    > coaster,
                                                    > so I moved to a house and that took care of that.
                                                    >
                                                    > Carol

                                                    Dear Carol,
                                                    Sorry my husband came in and put his hand on the wrong button.

                                                    Anyway, my rule was the house is bug free, now. You're the new tenant, if
                                                    you bring them in and I find them, you will pay for making them disappear.
                                                    No paper bags, no food left on the counter, etc. I DON'T DO ROACHES, and if
                                                    your landlady discovers them, You will wish that you had never met her.

                                                    That was written as a part of the lease.

                                                    Back to practical. Boric acid does work.

                                                    Glad you solve your immediate problem.
                                                    Take care,