Thyroid shutdown

  • Go Friend
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 13, 2001
      What drug actually has the adverse effect on the
      thyroid in treatment? Is it the interferon, the
      ribavarin, or the combo?

      Losing my thyroid is one reason I am holding off on
      treatment until something better comes along, but if
      it wsa the ribavarin, then the peg interferon starts
      to look less unattractive.

      http://im.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13, 2001
        --- Go Friend <gofriend8@...> wrote:
        > What drug actually has the adverse effect on the
        > thyroid in treatment? Is it the interferon, the
        > ribavarin, or the combo?

        It is the interferon. However, recognize that what
        happens is that the interferon simply 'triggers'
        something that was probably going to occur anyway,
        sooner or later. Thyroid disorders tend to be genetic
        and simply require something to trigger the disorder
        into action. (The genetic tendency can be ANY
        autoimmune disorder, not just thyroid.) When the
        interferon does cause problems with the thyroid in
        people with no genetic tendency to autoimmune problems
        the thyroid function often slowly returns to normal
        when treatment is discontinued. I have known of
        several who were gradually able to discontinue their
        thyroid medications once they were finished with
        treatment, although it took many months. On the other
        hand, my own thyroid function has continued to worsen.
        Of course, both my grandmother and greatgrandmother
        had thyroid disease, and one of my thyroid function
        tests was a bit 'off' before I started treatment. Keep
        in mind that a thyroid problem is MUCH easier to deal
        with than an advancing liver disease.

        http://im.yahoo.com/
      • Constance Dickson
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13, 2001
          Hi All,
          I have been sitting on this for a few days. I
          guess I am a bit shocked. My Viral Load was 3,484,600
          (2/14/01) at the beginning of this go round. I had
          the PCR done (8/3/01) and now my viral load or
          whatever it is, is 2,362,600.
          Some of you might remember I am on a heavy dosage of
          the Interferon, 5 mu's shot nightly also the Ribavarin
          I take 6 pills @ 200 mg each, by my body weight 5
          pills of Rib would be the right dosage. I have been
          doing the heavier dosage for app 3 1/2 months I have
          been treated this go round very agressively.
          Had got my hopes up because of my LFT's getting in
          the normal range. At the start of combo, this time
          they were 108 AST and 91 ALT range. Now they are:
          AST 67 ALT 41.. Also my Thyroid has went overactive.
          I also have diabetes now, I take 5 mg of Glucotrol XL
          daily. I keep wondering what am I doing wrong. I
          have been on Keflex 5000 mg 4 times a day for acute
          bronchitis (actually I would only been on the first
          day of Keflex) when blood was drawn. I wonder if that
          could have anything to do with the high RNA. I forgot
          to ask. I just can't figure out what I am doing
          wrong. I took 2 sips of someones beer at a restauant
          in May, I didn't figure it would do a whole lot. I
          forgot to mention that also. I sit here and wonder
          constantly what I am doing wrong.....Maybe some of you
          know something. My Genotype is 1a..............Take
          Care, Connie
          I will continue this dosage as long as they let me.

          http://im.yahoo.com/
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 13, 2001
            Connie,
            I'm really sorry to hear this! You are not doing
            anything wrong, you just have a very resistant strain
            of HCV. I don't think the Keflex would make any
            difference, and I know 2 sips of a beer aren't going
            to make a difference either. It's NOT you, it just
            this virus. Mine hardly dropped at all either when I
            was on treatment. I know you are very disappointed
            that your viral load has dropped so little. However,
            do try and look at what positive there is: Even though
            it took a while, your LFT are now in the normal range,
            and that is GOOD. In fact, if you can, I would
            strongly consider staying on at least the interferon
            for a while longer, at least a year, although I don't
            know that the high dosing you're doing now is really
            necessary. The area of maintanence dosing is still
            being studied, but I know a few people who are on
            regular or low doses just to keep any more damage from
            occuring to their liver. In fact, one man I know is
            only taking two injections of reg. dose Infergen a
            week, and that seems to be stopping progress. There is
            quite a bit of evidence that interferon can help stop
            and even reverse fibrosis. At this point maybe that
            should be your main concern. Eventually they will find
            a cure for this disease but you need to still be
            around when it gets here. I know most people thought
            my doctor was a bit crazy to keep me on treatment for
            a full year with no significant drop in viral load,
            even with high dosing, but now I have zero fibrosis,
            and that is better than the stage one I had before!
            There are always alternatives too, either in
            conjuction with interferon, or alone. I don't know of
            any that will actually help get rid of the virus, but
            there are some that do seem to help the liver and help
            stop or slow the damage. Unfortunately they do tend to
            be expensive. I really wish I had some more positive
            and hopefull things to say. If I think of anything,
            I'll let you know!
            Hugs,

            http://phonecard.yahoo.com/