Thyroid and heat issues

  • srw1954@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 10, 2001
      Hi gang,
      My thyroid blew out a couple of months after ending treatment, which I
      understand is not uncommon. It took almost six months to get me adjusted to
      the right dosage of medication (levothyroxine is the generic that I take,
      synthoid is not generic)...first 100 mcg, then 125, now 150 mcg/day. I
      wonder, if someone takes too high of a dosage of synthroid, could you become
      hyperthyroid, and thus become heat sensitive? Just a thought.
      Sara

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 10, 2001
        --- srw1954@... wrote:
        > wonder, if someone takes too high of a dosage of
        > synthroid, could you become
        > hyperthyroid, and thus become heat sensitive? Just
        > a thought.
        > Sara

        Probably! But I do know that wasn't the situation, in
        my case. It also took a good 6 months before the first
        endocrinologist I was seeing got my TSH down to a low
        level (about 1.), and I felt pretty good then. But I
        was still sensitive to heat and sweated a lot. My TSH
        was stable for about a year, then began to climb. When
        it was up around 3.5 I was really feeling bad and
        having many symptoms of hypothyroidism again even
        though that was considered a normal TSH. I asked to be
        referred to another endocrinologist, who left my T4
        supplement (Synthroid) the same (.112mg), but added a
        T3 supplement (Cytomel, 12.5mg). He said this is still
        controversial and many doctors don't believe you need
        it. (My view is if you don't need it why does the
        human body normally make it???) Since I began taking
        BOTH supplements my TSH is staying under 1, I feel
        MUCH better, and I am not nearly as heat sensitive,
        and am not sweating as much. My memory is also better,
        I'm not as irritable, and my hair is no longer as dry
        and brittle. The T3 supplement made a big difference
        for me.

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
      • Margie Delese
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 10, 2001
          Claudine, I'm starting to believe my heat sensetivity is caused from thyroid
          on two test I had last year in March mine was 2.95 in Sept. it was 3.2. I
          have started noticing a lot more hair loss and dry brittle hair. The doc I
          wnt to (an internist) said I had a small goiter but had nothing to worry
          about. End of that. I started the bad sweating about four or five months
          ago. I'm going to my GI doc on Monday and I'll see what he has to say.
          Thanks for all the info. I get on this site. Marjorie

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 10, 2001
            That's an interesting thought although my thyroid has finally gotten
            down to normal with .125 synthroid. I wonder what next month will
            bring....will I still be normal or will I be hyper.

            srw1954@... wrote:

            > Hi gang,
            > My thyroid blew out a couple of months after ending treatment, which I
            >
            > understand is not uncommon. It took almost six months to get me
            > adjusted to
            > the right dosage of medication (levothyroxine is the generic that I
            > take,
            > synthoid is not generic)...first 100 mcg, then 125, now 150 mcg/day.
            > wonder, if someone takes too high of a dosage of synthroid, could you
            > become
            > hyperthyroid, and thus become heat sensitive? Just a thought.
            > Sara

            "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the
            way its animals are treated." ~Mahatma Gandhi

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 10, 2001
              You know, it's been real hot and humid the last couple days in
              Chicago and I have not suffered as badly as I had been. I wonder if all
              those years my doctor was gauging me on the "standard normal" which
              wasn't standard for me. But he did annually check my thyroid counts
              because my mother was hyper (becoming hypo after removal of her thyroid)
              and my father was hypo. It will be interesting to see what happens now
              that I've dropped into the normal range again.

              Thanks Claudine....your posts are always so informative.
              Tatezi

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 10, 2001
                --- Margie Delese <mrdelese@...> wrote:
                The doc I
                > wnt to (an internist) said I had a small goiter but
                > had nothing to worry
                > about. End of that.

                I forgot about that! My thyroid gland was also
                slightly enlarged. Only my endocrinologist seemed to
                think that was significant.

                Here are some good articles on subclinical and
                undertreated hypothyroidism:

                http://thyroid.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/314/7088/1175

                http://thyroid.about.com/health/thyroid.library/weekly.aa081499.htm

                This one has a long check list of risk factors and
                symptoms.
                http://thyroid.about.com/health/thyroid.blchklst.htm

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • Jane2370@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 10, 2001
                  In a message dated 7/10/01 7:47:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tatezi@...
                  writes:

                  > srw1954@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi gang,
                  > > My thyroid blew out a couple of months after ending treatment, which I
                  > >
                  > > understand is not uncommon

                  Don't know about my thyroid. But I was BRR--FREEZING during tx! Just overly
                  cold, and it didn't help that my winter was pretty brutal. Really it was :)
                  I'm still cold since I ended tx. in March. I like to hang outside now that
                  it's summer.
                  I guess we're all different with the Hep. It manifest's itself in strange
                  ways......
                  Peace, Jane

                • Alley/Pat
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 12, 2001
                    I'm a dummy, forgive me,

                    what does subclinical mean?

                    sounds very subculture haha

                    alley
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 12, 2001
                      --- Alley/Pat <alleypat@...> wrote:

                      > what does subclinical mean?

                      Subclinical: Without clinical manifestations. In
                      other words, nothing that your doctor can actually SEE
                      or MEASURE for his or her self.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 2, 2001
                        <<> what does subclinical mean?

                        Subclinical: Without clinical manifestations. In
                        other words, nothing that your doctor can actually SEE
                        or MEASURE for his or her self.>>

                        Gotcha thanks :))

                        alley