Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Alley antibodies??

  • LEST2001@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 6, 2001
      alleypat@... writes:

      > . I knew about my hep b antibodies and hep c antibodies for almost 10 years

      Alley sorry for the question, but I don't understand, I believe that if you
      have antibodies for hep B & C doesn't that indicate that your body has killed
      the bad part of the virus, and the virus in check, and under control. At
      least that is my understanding of antibodies????
      Take care,
      Les

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 6, 2001
        When I was first tested, it showed the antibodies for hep c. My doctor
        explained that didn't rule out the possibility I didn't have hep c. That
        the antibodies only showed I had been exposed to the virus and he
        ordered further testing which showed that I had hep c.

        Maybe doc or claudine can explain this better......

        LEST2001@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 7/4/01 3:23:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
        > alleypat@... writes:
        >

        > > . I knew about my hep b antibodies and hep c antibodies for almost
        > 10 years
        > >

        > Alley sorry for the question, but I don't understand, I believe that
        > if you
        > have antibodies for hep B & C doesn't that indicate that your body has
        > killed
        > the bad part of the virus, and the virus in check, and under control.
        > At
        > least that is my understanding of antibodies????
        > Take care,
        > Les

      • Doc
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 7, 2001
          The antibody test for Hep B and Hep C have different implications.
          Appearance of Anti-Hbs shows that you have recovered from HepB while IgG-AntiHbc shows that you have
          been exposed to HBV and may have recovered depending upon the presence of Anti-Hbs.

          Whereas in Hep C , no protective antibodies appear at all. IgG-Hep C antibodies appear if you have
          been exposed to HCV and they stay that way for a long time,even after a " cure" thus you cannot be
          sure if you still have the HCV-RNA unless you do a PCR for it.

          I hope this clears your confusion.

          Dr Sharat C Misra MD, DM

          LEST2001@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 7/4/01 3:23:02 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
          > alleypat@... writes:
          >

          > > . I knew about my hep b antibodies and hep c antibodies for almost
          > 10 years
          > >

          > Alley sorry for the question, but I don't understand, I believe that
          > if you
          > have antibodies for hep B & C doesn't that indicate that your body has
          > killed
          > the bad part of the virus, and the virus in check, and under control.
          > At
          > least that is my understanding of antibodies????
          > Take care,
          > Les

        • Alley/Pat
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 8, 2001
            Les,

            Having the antibody does not mean the virus is gone, just means your body
            fought or is fighting it.

            The problem with hep c is that the virus mutates so fast, the body can't
            keep up.

            Think of country a sending out foot soldiers to begin a war. Country b
            defends against the foot soldiers

            Then country a sends in horsemen, country b defends against them.

            Then country a gets really wild (mutated) and sends F-16's and all kinds of
            high powered high tech aircraft against a medieval country b.

            country b can't keep up.

            our body is like country b. Hep c virus is like country a. Our body just
            can't keep up.

            The interferon if i understand it correctly, boosts our immune system, gives
            us better response time to defend and attack, more better warriors.

            The riba I'm not sure of, but I think I read it makes the virus mutate so
            fast it mutates itself to death. I'm simplifying stuff really really a lot,
            so please bear with me.

            over 80% of the people with hep C and about 20% or less of the people who
            get Hep B end up with the hard to kill version of the virus. (ie chronic)

            So like now, I've finished treatment and to the best of our technology, I
            have antibodies but no live virus.
          • Alley/Pat
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 8, 2001
              Thanks doc!!!!

              I like the warrior version better hahaha

              just kidding!

              alley