Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Maybe one of you have an idea?

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2001
      Hi Betty,
      Gas as you are experiencing or bloating of abdomen maybe due:
      1. Fluid accumulation in ascites, may not be gas at all
      2. If there isn't any significant fluid, it may be because of gastroparesis or slow emptying of the
      stomach.
      3. Intestinal infection, bacterial proliferation can cause bloating
      and flatulence.
      Sometimes ,simple aerophagy or air swallowing is also a contributary factor.

      Further, you may not have had a CTscan if you were given barium to drink, CT cannot be done with
      barium inside the gut. Pancreas is best seen on spiral CT after giving an iv contrast dye and the
      intestine show up as hollow viscus.
      Gastroparesis commonly presents as bloating of abdomen and can be helped by Domperidone ( Motilium).
      The barium xrays can detect any intestinal pathology like a blockade which can cause subacute
      obstruction presenting as bloating and pain.
      Hope this helps.
      Dr Sharat C Misra MD, DM

      Sent: Friday, June 29, 2001 6:25 AM
      Subject: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Maybe one of you have an idea?

      This is a copy of a post I sent to one of the lists. But got to thinking
      that maybe one of you hep c 'guru's might have an idea. Love ya, Betty

      Subj: Got a 'silly' question
      Date: 6/28/01 7:51:08 PM Central Daylight Time
      From: <A HREF="mailto:Arkhepcgal">Arkhepcgal</A>
      To: <A HREF="mailto:DragonSlayers@...">DragonSlayers@...</A>

      Hi gang,
      This sounds dumb, but how can one get lots of gas that seems to completely
      fill the abdominal area? Would this 'gas' be confined in the stomach and/or
      intestines, or just be sort of loose all over that area?

      The doc said he thinks I have a small pocket of fluid on my right side, but
      the center and left side are 'gas'. I tell you, I feel like I'm getting
      bigger every day! Where would this gas come from, and why? Why can't I get
      rid of it, or how can I get rid of it?

      I had a cat scan today, yuk, very nasty, didn't know I had to drink all the
      crummy stuff and get shot up with dye! The technician had to come in two
      additional times and have me drink more barium because there was so much
      'air' they couldn't see my pancreas. Any ideas what that means?

      I've never heard of swelling up so much with gas, and lol, please guys, no
      jokes, haven't eaten any beans, so if anyone has any ideas...let me know,
      okay?
      Thanks,
      Betty

    • Arkhepcgal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2001

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 29, 2001
          Hi, thanks soooo much for your response. Of course, the more I'm trying to
          learn, the more I'm getting confused. Maybe if I give you some more history,
          it would help.

          Had emergency abdominal surgery in 1983 for a perforated ulcer, received
          several units of blood with that. Then I had a gastric resection with a Bill
          Roth I, with the vegas nerves cut in 1984 because of silent ulcers, also with
          several units of blood. My gall bladder was removed in 1986 because of
          disease, no stones, and again, more blood was given. Since then, I've
          continued to have 'dumping symdrome' and chronic iron deficiency anemia that
          I must have iron injections for. Cannot absort iron any other way. In 1989,
          my hemo dropped to 3.5...I was hospitalized and given many units of blood.

          I was opened up in the same identical place for the 3 surgeries, and have
          gotten adhesions that will clamp on the small intestine, causing a blockage.
          When this happens, it's very painful and causes dry heaves for hours. I was
          told that if this goes on for more than 8 hours, I need to go to ER where I
          can get pumped.

          Okay, now for some more current history, I found out I had Hep C in 1998, had
          a liver biopsy in early 1999 that showed 'early cirrhosis' and did the
          standard combo for 6 months. I'm a 2b and went negative right away. I found
          I had relaped 6 months later, which I'm sure was because of major stress
          going on in my life--the pcr tested to 1,000 and gave a count of 390,000.
          Last October, had another pcr and it tested at 500 with a count of 70,000.
          Since then, I've found that I have emphysema, fibromyalgia, irritable bowl,
          and hypoglycemia that is getting much worse by the week. My regular md
          figured up that I had 7 different diseases/illnesses, 5 of which could be
          fatal.

          About two months ago, I began noticing my abdomen getting bigger but assumed
          it was because I wasn't on a proper diet. Lots of fast food and pizza cause
          I was just too exhausted to cook or even really shop for groceries.

          Since then, the abdomen has continued getting bigger and extends out rather
          sharply right at my breast bone, all the way across. I saw my liver doc on
          Tuesday--he thumped all around the abdomen area and said it sounded like I do
          have a pocket of fluid under my liver, on the right side, but that he thought
          I had gas in my middle and left side, so he said I should have a cat scan.

          I was surprised when I had to drink the barium. They also did inject the
          dye. I got very concerned when the tech came in and had me drink barium 2
          additional times because I had so much air, they could not see my pancreas.
          The tech said the barium was for the 'lower gi'. Also, after looking at how
          I was swelled at the breast bone, the tech asked me if I had any heart
          problems, which I don't think I do, but do have a lot of shortness of
          breath...not so much from the emphysema (very early stage), but because of
          the pressure of all the air. The tech said she would go higher to get some
          shots of my heart.

          I have started getting a small ache on my lower right side, under the liver,
          but that's the only place. I'm very, very uncomfortable because of all the
          swelling, but it's not what I would call painful. This swelling does not go
          down at all and seems to be getting bigger every week, judging by the way my
          clothes are fitting. I have actually only gained 3 pounds since April. I'm
          5'4" and my average weight is 125-130. I can only eat very small amounts at
          a time cause I just don't feel hungry and it seems that's all I have room
          for. I do not have excessive belching or 'farting'.

          I don't think I've run a fever, however, I did run out of prem-pro and so
          went through a few nights of some sweats, and the past several days, I get
          chilled easily, very unusual for me.

          I'm beginning to wonder if the small amount of fluid the liver doc said I had
          could be infected and that is causing the gas?

          Sorry this is so long, I know you are very busy, but I thought maybe if you
          knew my history it might shed some more light.

          I really appreciate all you do for the list and you are a great help.

          Thank you,
          Betty