to alley, Vioxx

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 23, 2001
      alley,
      If pain is being caused by chronic inflammation
      then you will have to give the Vioxx some time to
      really work. It's not a pain reliever, it's an
      anti-inflammatory, a COX II inhibitor. It can't undo
      the inflammation over night. I would guess at least
      two weeks for you to get it's full effect, but that
      really is just a guess! When I 'forget' to take mine
      for a while (I sometimes get to thinking I really
      don't need it!) usually within 3 or 4 days I will
      realize I am aching again, and if I don't get right
      back on the Vioxx it will just continue to get worse.

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Alley/Pat
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 23, 2001
        Claudine,

        Well that just sux!!! up to 2 weeks is unacceptable for the immediate needs.

        Why didn't my doc tell me this?

        I took the EXTRA EFFORT to tell him that I was starting work MONDAY and
        needed something to alleviate the pain and stiffness.

        What a ditz I am for not asking. I ASSUMED he spoke English and I ASSUMED he
        wasn't DEAF DUMB OR RETARDED.

        Jeezus, sometimes I get REALLY miffed at the people who PRACTICE in the
        medical profession.

        They must get their goddamned credentials out of CrackerJack Boxes.

        I sound miffed? Yep, I'm miffed and this dude is gonna hear about it big
        time if I am not getting some relief this Monday.

        I think we should have a nice little "satisfaction rating" system. Oh..
        still in PAIN? well lets SHARE!!! sheez Totally **** amazing.

        What part of this world am I not understanding?

        I had to chase his ass out the door to get him to finish listening to me as
        it was. I should have known then. Lunch was more important than my pain.
        Well, I see the light! I am ENLIGHTENED. And this dude will be come Monday,
        in no uncertain terms. I hate to go looking for a new doc, but by golly he's
        gonna get a few earfulls next week if this stuff isn't working.

        I don't HAVE to have pain meds. I DO have to have something that WORKS when
        I need it. I just don't see what is so difficult to understand in that.

        OK OK I'm off my high horse lol.

        alley the majorly miffed
        (and stiff, and sore, and pffffffttttttttttt)
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 23, 2001
          Hey, don't give up on it completely!!! I was just
          guessing! No doctor has ever said it took 2 weeks, I
          was just thinking about chronic inflammation, and
          making a guess! Don't go by only what I said. And, if
          your pains really are being caused by inflammation
          then even if you need something else RIGHT NOW, the
          Vioxx may still help on a longer term basis. It works
          for me, but not in and of itself, and not completely.
          I've NEVER found anything that works completely, all
          the time. But between the Vioxx and taking a Flexerill
          every night I am in much, much better shape (pain
          wise) than I have been in years, and the times I need
          MORE don't come nearly as often.
          Good luck!!

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Constance Dickson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 24, 2001
            LOL..Do you know the reason they call it a PRACTICE?
            Well, it means they are still practicing so they can
            get it right. Doc, this doesn't include you! :-)

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 24, 2001
              LOL....Pat you are so funny when you are angry. But you really summed up
              what I feel about the western medical practitioners.

              But they don't get their medical degrees out of cracker jack
              boxes....they know they have been elevated to the position of "god" when
              they finish school which puts them above us ignorant patients...after
              all, we don't know what we are talking about or what we are feeling.

              Hang in there Pat....we're all behind you!

              Tatezi

              > I ASSUMED he spoke English and I ASSUMED he wasn't DEAF DUMB OR
              > RETARDED.
              >
              > Jeezus, sometimes I get REALLY miffed at the people who PRACTICE in
              > the medical profession.
              >
              > They must get their goddamned credentials out of CrackerJack Boxes.

            • Gail Samples
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 24, 2001
                ----------
                >From: "Alley/Pat" <alleypat@...>

                > Well that just sux!!!

                Shall we take the guy out back and shoot him?

                To the point-Pat there is probably not going to be any long-term immediate
                relief. Claudine mentioned Flexerill-that does work wonders for the muscle
                pains, and it is a very cheap drug. I believe the generic version is around
                four or five dollars for 30. Unfortunately, if taken for prolonged time,
                the body builds up tolerance to it so you have to take more and you know how
                docs are about prescribing higher doses of things for pain relief. You are
                barking up the wrong tree in depending on doctors to help you much for pain,
                especially with all the ruckus going on now about Oxycotin! There are
                some foods such as pineapple and apples that contain extremely useful
                compounds against pain. 'Pineapple contains bromelain which promotes
                circulation and helps the body to reabsorb the by-products of inflammation,
                helping you heal faster...'; 'Bromelain's actions are reported to enhance
                serum fibrinoltic acitvity, ihibit fibrinogen synthesis, degrade fibrin and
                fibrinogen, and influence prostaglandin synthesis.' The previous statement
                means that it helps the body's process of breaking down the fibrin clots
                formed in certan immune responses and inhibits formation of new fibrin
                clots, also that it is anti-inflammatory. Canned pineapple is a cheap way
                to get this. But it will only help-not correct the problem. If you opt for
                a supplement- 'Bromelain strength is measured in "milk-clotting units" (mcu)
                and "gelatin-dissolving units" (gcu). Look for a bromelain product between
                1,200 and 2,400 mcu or 720 and 1,400 gcu. Try 250 mg, three or four times a
                day, 1 hour after meals'. Don't take with ACE inhibitors or anticoagulants.
                I take the pills, I just can't eat pineapple every day! Pineapple and
                apples (apples more than pineapple) both contain malic acid. Again, I have
                opted for the pill form. Quite frankly, this is the supplement that I have
                found the MOST effective for my paticular pain problem. It is extremely
                helpful, but not the end-all of pain. I have dealt with the cryo pain since
                childhood. I am doing very well now, but I have had to work at trying
                things on my own to get where I am now, nor can I give up any of these
                things without the pain coming back (except perhaps the weight training).
                I weight train 4 days a week, take my supplements, add the Alleve (4-6 per
                day) and an occasional Flexerill and I do not have the terrible days that I
                did before I realized that 12-15 aspirin a day was not normal. You might
                try a heating/massager, that can work fairly well, especially when you hit
                the right spot in the right way. You will feel a tickly, tingly,
                good-feeling run up the nerves and sometimes that will knock out the pain
                for a while. Swimming also helps, swimming with fins is best. I have found
                that if I can walk around (like parking as far away from the building as I
                can, going to the bathroom downstairs and using the stairs, etc) as much as
                possible at work I do better than when sitting in one spot for hours on
                end. Anyway, here some ideas for you. Do not get discouraged, there will
                be a routine that will work for you. It is a matter of finding it.

                gail
              • Alley/Pat
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 24, 2001
                  Thanks for the ideas Gail!

                  I'm sure I'll make it. You know, when I haven't had the joint pain for a
                  whole year while I was on treatment, I'm thinking maybe I'm making too much
                  of it. Maybe it isn't really that bad and it's just cuz I was pain-free all
                  that time. Heck I'll tell myself anything to keep my feet from hurting lol.
                  Today it's my feet and ankles cuz I been standing and ironing all day.

                  Well it won't kill me! And I'm sure with time I'll find what does work and
                  doesn't work.

                  Yall have a great week!

                  alley
                • Gail Samples
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 26, 2001
                    ----------
                    >From: "Alley/Pat" <alleypat@...>

                    You know, when I haven't had the joint pain for a
                    > whole year while I was on treatment, I'm thinking maybe I'm making too much
                    > of it.

                    Pat-

                    I remember when I first started on the Alleve. It was one pill in the
                    morning and one pill at night. It was heaven. I was pain free at last!
                    But I began to build up tolerance and probably by about month two was at the
                    maximum dosage of six Alleve a day (3 in AM, 3 in PM) and was back in pain
                    again. But, after that taste of pain-free living, it has become a quest for
                    me to get back there again. I do fairly well now, Monday was a bit rough as
                    Sunday I stood for several hours in the kitchen. Standing for long periods
                    of time is a real killer. But I know your frustration and anger in wanting
                    to get back to pain-free again. Don't give up. Hopefully your new job is
                    going well.

                    gail
                  • Alley/Pat
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 29, 2001
                      gail said <<Standing for long periods
                      of time is a real killer. >>

                      Yew betcha sweet bippy!

                      but yes I think as time goes on I'll either get better or I'll just fall out
                      on the floor cuz i'm not quitting. Doc is helping some. I think the Vioxx
                      are helping but hard to tell till the aristacort shot wears off. Thank gawd
                      for drugs.

                      This one engineer who is training me is getting a little frustrated I know
                      cuz I can't walk as fast as he can. I have to pace myself a bit or I'm wiped
                      before lunchtime. I figure if he ever makes mention of it, I'll just tell
                      him I don't get paid to walk fast, I get paid to be right (I work in QC)
                      lol.

                      Yeah, I'm a witch, I'll not every deny that.

                      Now to think up some other witty comebacks. Takes me a while ya know, I'm
                      not only a hepper, I'm blonde AND Texan!

                      laters gators

                      alley
                    • Margie Delese
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 10, 2001
                        Very Funny!! And So True

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 2, 2001
                          Well, I dumped the vioxx for a while. Too much diahrea ick. Made it hard to
                          even work. Just a good visual for yall hahahah And don't tell me TOO MUCH
                          INFO hahahaha

                          Hope everyone is well :) Weekend is ALMOST here.

                          hugs all

                          alley