Re: NEWCOMER Hello Kimi

  • Claudine Crews
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2000
      Hi Kimi! Welcome to the club!
      Having this disease in common really does take the 'strange' out of
      'stranger', doesn't it! I often feel closer to the people on this e-mail
      list than my friends and family. It's hard to know what this is like if you
      haven't been there.
      The hepatitis C virus has mutated several times into several
      "sub-species", I guess you could call them. That is what the genotyping is
      for, to determine which variety of hep C you have. The two most common in
      the USA are 1a and 1b. They are also the hardest to get rid of, so if you
      are one of those genotypes you can plan on being on treatment longer.
      I find it amazing that you were only diagnosed in November and began
      treatment in December. I bet that set a record. I was diagnosed in Sept.
      of 1997 and began combo (in clinical trials) in Jan. of 1998. Wish I could
      have had doctors like yours. The waiting was enough by itself to make me a
      nervous wreck!
      Those red spots are pretty normal. Not much you can do about them.
      Bren is dead right about injecting in the stomach being easier, but
      unfortunately after only 3 times I had to go back to my thighs because the
      medication was being absorbed to quickly due to a lack of enough fat in that
      area (according to my doctor). The side effects got MUCH worse when I
      injected there.
      I hear so much about the "brain fog" I can't believe the docs haven't
      figured out it's present no matter what degree of liver damage you have. My
      family has gotten used to it, I just try to keep a sense of humor about it.
      I was going to try the ginko biloba but just couldn't stand the thought of
      swallowing even one more thing than I already had to swallow every day, so I
      just live with it.
      Your very right about educating ourselves. Knowledge is power
      (and protection too, some doctors still know less than we do). The internet
      is a wonderful tool.
      I'll be writing a book here if I'm not careful! Be sure to stay in
      touch and let us know how you are doing!

    • Florence Morris
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2000
        Amen, Claudine..

        This is what I was trying to express earlier in a post but it had to do
        with insomnia. Hopefully the doctors will get a clue that there are MANY
        symptoms experienced no matter what degree of damage. It does not only
        come with end stage. My symptoms are periodic, some days better than
        others, but I feel it is because of the stage I am in. And when I feel on
        top of mountain, BANG... liver here! Seem to always get brain fog when the
        head needs to be cleared! I am always made aware I have to slow down. To me
        in the later stages of liver damage you would constantly feel symptoms and
        to a greater degree.
        When I went to my gastro for my thyroid, I told her that I couldnt think
        or concentrate and felt in a fog. She looked at my strangely , patted my
        knee and said we'll get you better. So I always assumed it had to do with
        my thyroid.
        That's why this list is important to me. I have learned so much and
        feel comfortable to express myself if needed without reproach.

        Florence