Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] brain fog

    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 3, 2001
      MILD changes in behavior??????????? There have been several times when I
      have truly wondered if I wasn't a candidate for the guys in the white coats.
      One thing is for certain, I, who used to be an expert at crisis management,
      can no longer function for long under stress. But doesn't being
      post-menopausal have something of the same effect........or am I confusing my
      problems here. Thanks, Anne

    • Alley/Pat
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
        ha Anne been there :)

        That's why most heppers are on antidepressants, the hep really messes with
        us.

        Patricia / Andromeda Gurl/ Alleypat
        Grand Prairie, Tx, USA, Earth
        http://members.home.com/andromedagurl
        ICQ: 12631861
        AOL IM: DallasAlleyPat
        MSN: PJHauldren
      • glenna gebauer
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
          This message is for Charley...
          If you ever decided to take a piece of advice...please take this one...
          You MUST not drink alcohol with Hep C. It will destroy your liver quckly.
          And if you ever do need a liver they will not list you if you drink.

          Do not miss doctor appointments because you are afraid he will find out you
          have been drinking...your doctor is your "captian" of all of this, and needs
          to watch your levels. I have hep c myself...and I care what happens to you.
          Glenna
        • Doc
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
            It is better to cut out all animal proteins for sometime if you are experiencing " brain fog" and
            keep a check that you are having enough salt .

            Dr Sharat C Misra MD, DM

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
              In a message dated 6/4/2001 8:24:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              alleypat@... writes:

              > That's why most heppers are on antidepressants, the hep really messes with
              > us.

              I tried the anitdepressants, Pat. Boy was that a mistake. If I'm going to
              take Welbutron or Paxel, somebody will also have to write a script for an
              anticonvulsant. I'm not a depressive personality, but this show will
              definitely slow you down. But the antidepressants, physically wire me.
              Never have reacted to drugs "normally". Hence, the non-responder, I guess.

            • sylvati
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                Dear Charley

                please stop drinking ! honestly, don't have any at all. also there are
                lots of things you can do with your diet to help you feel better. cut out
                caffiene, fat, sugar etc and eat lots of fresh fruit & veg, fish & chicken
                are good but not too much red meat.

                good luck, love Sylv
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 5, 2001
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 5, 2001
                    Anne,
                    It is never a very good idea to completely give up salt.
                    5 gm salt every day (one flatenned teaspoon full) is your minimun requirement and it wont upset your
                    BP.

                    Dr Sharat C Misra MD, DM

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 5, 2001
                      In a message dated 6/5/2001 3:17:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                      CHARLEY118@... writes:

                      > im told to cut out red meat all i been eating is dear meat aint that
                      > suppose to be good for you compare to beef or pork

                      Yes, deer meat is the best you can do. It has less fat than either chicken
                      or turkey. If you have any to spare, I'm up for taking some off your hands.
                      David wasn't able to hunt this year because of his hernia, so I'm down to one
                      side of beef. I can feel a panic attack setting in. Also, if you'll e-mail
                      me at avansi7465@..., I'll send you my special deer barbecue recipe.
                      It's delicious, if I do say so myself.
                      Take care and stay healthy,

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 6, 2001
                          Dear Dr. Misra,
                          Thank you for the advice. I gave up salted with the idea in mind that I'm
                          probably getting enough sodium from canned goods and my canned pickles, etc.,
                          to cover the amount. I don't retain water, so maybe I should add a little.
                          Thanks again, Anne

                        • Go Friend
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 9, 2001
                            I know I may sound like a broken record but for me
                            freshly ground flax seed daily has been a great help
                            with my occasional mild depression, without side
                            effects.

                            I am curious about the salt minimum tho.

                            "It is never a very good idea to completely give up
                            salt.5 gm salt every day (one flatenned teaspoon full)
                            is your minimun requirement and it wont upset your BP.

                            Dr Sharat C Misra MD, DM"

                            I don't eat many prepared foods (potato chips many 3
                            or 4 times a year, for instance), nothing with blood
                            in it, and we don't cook with salt. I am fairly
                            certain there are many days or weeks at a time I don't
                            get that flattened teaspoon of salt. Two questions:

                            Is there some symptom of salt deficiency I would
                            notice myself? What should I be looking for? (Okay,
                            so I am only counting that as one question :-)

                            Is it the salt itself that is needed or the sodium?
                            If so, could I be getting enough sodium through diet?
                            I do use Braggs Liquid Aminos instead of salt, and
                            that does say it has some naturally occuring sodium.
                            I am sure other foods also have high sodium levels.

                            a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                          • Alley/Pat
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 11, 2001
                              hi Charley,

                              PLEEEZe don't drink with hep c. I have no liver damage and I keep my
                              drinking to the absolute minium. I had one glass of wine the other day, when
                              hubby and i were treated to dinner in a fancy restaraunt, where they put the
                              napkin in your lap and everything haha. But even then I didn't finsh the
                              glass, hubby did for me haha.

                              alley
                            • runabout_104
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 17, 2002
                                Thanks for letting me know that this is soooo normal, but hate that
                                all of u r going thru it too, at least now I know this is normal
                                behaviour for the meds. HOpe it doesn't cont--God forbid, if i loose
                                something though, the whole house is liable to come down. But i did
                                good yest, I misplaced the check book and didn't even look for it and
                                tried not to even care and yep, u r right, it turned up, Now if those
                                darn food stamps wd just do the same, I wd be in business. It' been
                                over a week on them! ha
                              • Curlykew
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 18, 2002
                                  I think that brain fog has a lot to do with ammonia build up in the brain.. and trying to remember what causes that.. think maybe too much red meat.. i used to study and research a lot about hep c..but i have the brain fog.. cant concentrate so much .. so i am not sure but know it is ammonia in the brain... I used to work for a big finance company but the brain fog really messed me up .. too much pressure and stress.. now i make 1/3 the income and hus left me in middle of treatment .. so my income level went down but, you know what, that didnt bother me so much. Hep C has made me look at life differently... i try to avoid stress .. in my situation that means .. dont worry .. LOL.. hard at times but i concentrate on the good in my life now .. and hus leaving was probably a good thing... now thinking of going back to teaching but scared.. as is a big responsibility to the kids.. but was love of my life at one time .. to teach.. did it for 10 years.. oh well .. we shall see what God has in store for me.. am applying for a fellowship to get a certificate to teach deaf education.. what i always wanted.. i do still have the hep c and cirrhosis but is like the report said.. the combo treatment may not have cleared me but it really improved things for me .. even tho i have cirrhosis.. doc hasnt pushed the new treatment as i am doing ok for now and treatment can almost make it so i can not work... i have a good job .. not high pay but good insurance and flexible schedule that helps when i am sick... well enuf bout me.. i just wanted to say .. that brain fog can be lessened by eating habits i believe... now if i can get back to good ones again.. LOL.. was easier when treatment inhibited my appetite.. started bicycling and is doing me wonders too.. well i dont contribute often but do read most all postings and this is .. like someone said .. an ACTIVE group

                                  content,

                                  Dawn

                                  My message to you: Don't worry, be happy!!
                                  Love to hear from YOU!
                                  Dawn

                                • willem landstra

                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 19, 2002
                                      I have not heard about the brain fog being caused by ammonia build ups
                                      in the brain...not that red meat might be the cause. Hmmmm...will have
                                      to ask doc about that.

                                      But if you have cirhossis, doesn't (and pardon my spelling here)
                                      encepholitis usually accompany cirhossis or is that only at end stages?

                                      Curlykew wrote:

                                      > I think that brain fog has a lot to do with ammonia build up in the
                                      > brain.. and trying to remember what causes that.. think maybe too much
                                      > red meat.. i used to study and research a lot about hep c..but i have
                                      > the brain fog.. cant concentrate so much .. so i am not sure but know
                                      > it is ammonia in the brain... I used to work for a big finance company
                                      > but the brain fog really messed me up .. too much pressure and
                                      > stress.. now i make 1/3 the income and hus left me in middle of
                                      > treatment .. so my income level went down but, you know what, that
                                      > didnt bother me so much. Hep C has made me look at life differently...
                                      > i try to avoid stress .. in my situation that means .. dont worry ..
                                      > LOL.. hard at times but i concentrate on the good in my life now ..
                                      > and hus leaving was probably a good thing... now thinking of going
                                      > back to teaching but scared.. as is a big responsibility to the kids..
                                      > but was love of my life at one time .. to teach.. did it for 10
                                      > years.. oh well .. we shall see what God has in store for me.. am
                                      > applying for a fellowship to get a certificate to teach deaf
                                      > education.. what i always wanted.. i do still have the hep c and
                                      > cirrhosis but is like the report said.. the combo treatment may not
                                      > have cleared me but it really improved things for me .. even tho i
                                      > have cirrhosis.. doc hasnt pushed the new treatment as i am doing ok
                                      > for now and treatment can almost make it so i can not work... i have a
                                      > good job .. not high pay but good insurance and flexible schedule that
                                      > helps when i am sick... well enuf bout me.. i just wanted to say ..
                                      > that brain fog can be lessened by eating habits i believe... now if i
                                      > can get back to good ones again.. LOL.. was easier when treatment
                                      > inhibited my appetite.. started bicycling and is doing me wonders
                                      > too.. well i dont contribute often but do read most all postings and
                                      > this is .. like someone said .. an ACTIVE group
                                      >
                                      > content,
                                      >
                                      > Dawn
                                      >

                                      > My message to you: Don't worry, be happy!!
                                      > Love to hear from YOU!
                                      > Dawn

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      "It is in the shelter of each other that the people live." ~Irish
                                      proverb~

                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 19, 2002
                                        Hi Willem...

                                        MSM is a wonderful thing. It is a derivative of DMSO (I'd have to look
                                        up the scientific term for that if you are interested) and when I
                                        learned that I started reading book after book about it. During my years
                                        on the racetrack, my hands were always in DMSO...we would rub it on the
                                        horses legs on top of the medicines to drive the medicines into the legs
                                        and on sore muscles because of the heat that came from DMSO. My
                                        arthritis never bothered me back then although I smelled like garlic all
                                        the time (dmso gives you a garlic odor).

                                        When I left the racetrack all the aches came back. Tried buying DMSO in
                                        health stores and pet supplies stores but it was always 'dead' and
                                        eventually gave up unless I could get it when the from a tack shop when
                                        it was racing season here in Chicago. Good DMSO smokes when you open the
                                        bottle...and it should always be stored in glass.

                                        So when I learned that MSM was a deritive of DMSO, I started
                                        reading...and still have at least one book around the house about it.
                                        Started taking it many years ago and it has save me much suffering from
                                        aches and pains.

                                        I'll dig out that book and pass along some other interesting things
                                        about MSM if you would like....just let me know.

                                        Blessings
                                        Tatezi

                                        willem landstra wrote:

                                        > HI.My brainfog was getting so bad,I.am off treatment,that I decided
                                        > to do something about it.My Doc said if it does.nt go away I hve to
                                        > see a neurologist.I went to a . ,person who knows a lot about
                                        > food-supplements.She advised MSM and multi.vit.(the group also advised
                                        > this)I bought MSM-vitals and multi from douglas lab,it has little iron
                                        > in it.Coul.dnt get sup without iron.And you know what it helps.After a
                                        > week my brainfog is getting less.Still hve this faint headache but
                                        > that feeling that you are floating is getting less.Also the flickering
                                        > of the eyes is getting less.Short memory is also better.Hope it will
                                        > go on improving.If I relapse again,that would be the fourth time,I hve
                                        > the promise that I can participate in a trial starting january with
                                        > protease inhibitors at the Acadamic Hospital in Amsterdam.Right now
                                        > I.am going to be a turtle who will put his Hep in the shell and going
                                        > to enjoy my summer,whether my liver likes it or not.LOL.William.

                                        [Image]

                                        Height: ftin

                                        Weight:

                                        Sex:FM

                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 19, 2002
                                          By Brain Fog if you mean encephalopathy, it is due to ammonia accumulation in the brain and red meat is a big contributor.
                                          In fact people with advanced liver disease should be only on vegetable proteins.

                                          Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 19, 2002
                                            In a message dated 5/19/2002 5:01:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                            wmland@... writes:

                                            > now I.am going to be a turtle who will put his Hep in the shell and going to
                                            > enjoy my summer,whether my liver likes it or not.LOL.William.

                                            Dear William,
                                            I agree. Now, if the weather will just cooperate with me, I'll "be in tall
                                            cotton".

                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 19, 2002
                                              Hi William....I think that is a good idea....putting hepc on hold and
                                              enjoying your summer. I'm going to take your advice about that lol. Is
                                              MSM something I can buy at a local pharmacy?

                                              Carol

                                              [Image]

                                              Height: ftin

                                              Weight:

                                              Sex:FM

                                            • willem landstra
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 20, 2002
                                                HI.Yes,good idea.There.s nothing I can do about it now,except taking care how I live.Sometimes I think we.re too much pre-occupied about our Dragon.I.am a pickheaded dutchman and suspicious about alternative treatment and supplements.I spend a lot of money on our chinese citizens who hve little shops where tey claim to hve herbs to cure anything from cancer to broken relations.The most faith I hve is in Tibetan medicine.There is a non-profit making center here and at least they are honest and tell you we cannot cure you but improve the quality of your life.It.s the only alternative treatment which is paid for by the dutch health insurance.this lady advised me to take MSM I had my doubts but I feel a lot better now.I don.t know whether it.s the MSM or just natural recuperating.It also helps against joint-pains etc.You can buy it anywhere.Tat,our Tat,knows more about it.I had my first chess-game yesterday and for the first time I could think three moves ahead and rememberd the moves I made.It was a lovely day iin amsterdam,open air pubs and I could.nt resist the temptation and had the first cold Heineken in 5 yrs.It was heaven.I will drink one everyday,very slowly.Have a nice summer,life is short and who knows the great adventure which migt be lurking on the other side.We should have a little bit more Humor on the group.William.

                                                willem landstra wrote:

                                                > HI.My brainfog was getting so bad,I.am off treatment,that I decided
                                                > to do something about it.My Doc said if it does.nt go away I hve to
                                                > see a neurologist.I went to a . ,person who knows a lot about
                                                > food-supplements.She advised MSM and multi.vit.(the group also advised
                                                > this)I bought MSM-vitals and multi from douglas lab,it has little iron
                                                > in it.Coul.dnt get sup without iron.And you know what it helps.After a
                                                > week my brainfog is getting less.Still hve this faint headache but
                                                > that feeling that you are floating is getting less.Also the flickering
                                                > of the eyes is getting less.Short memory is also better.Hope it will
                                                > go on improving.If I relapse again,that would be the fourth time,I hve
                                                > the promise that I can participate in a trial starting january with
                                                > protease inhibitors at the Acadamic Hospital in Amsterdam.Right now
                                                > I.am going to be a turtle who will put his Hep in the shell and going
                                                > to enjoy my summer,whether my liver likes it or not.LOL.William.

                                                [Image]

                                                Height: ftin

                                                Weight:

                                                Sex:FM