Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] brain fog

  • Alley/Pat
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 3, 2001
      Doc, I know what scientific evidence says... however, being a hepper with no
      liver damage.... brain fog is still a problem, and especially on treatment.
      Of course, that does not mean I don't have ANY problems with my liver, there
      is a 20% error in biopsy results either way. But whether it's due to fatigue
      or the virus or the liver damage, a dull brain is definitely there. wish it
      weren't :)

      Patricia / Andromeda Gurl/ Alleypat
      Grand Prairie, Tx, USA, Earth
      http://members.home.com/andromedagurl
      ICQ: 12631861
      AOL IM: DallasAlleyPat
      MSN: PJHauldren
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 3, 2001
        MILD changes in behavior??????????? There have been several times when I
        have truly wondered if I wasn't a candidate for the guys in the white coats.
        One thing is for certain, I, who used to be an expert at crisis management,
        can no longer function for long under stress. But doesn't being
        post-menopausal have something of the same effect........or am I confusing my
        problems here. Thanks, Anne

      • Alley/Pat
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
          ha Anne been there :)

          That's why most heppers are on antidepressants, the hep really messes with
          us.

          Patricia / Andromeda Gurl/ Alleypat
          Grand Prairie, Tx, USA, Earth
          http://members.home.com/andromedagurl
          ICQ: 12631861
          AOL IM: DallasAlleyPat
          MSN: PJHauldren
        • Doc
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
            It is better to cut out all animal proteins for sometime if you are experiencing " brain fog" and
            keep a check that you are having enough salt .

            Dr Sharat C Misra MD, DM

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
              This message is for Charley...
              If you ever decided to take a piece of advice...please take this one...
              You MUST not drink alcohol with Hep C. It will destroy your liver quckly.
              And if you ever do need a liver they will not list you if you drink.

              Do not miss doctor appointments because you are afraid he will find out you
              have been drinking...your doctor is your "captian" of all of this, and needs
              to watch your levels. I have hep c myself...and I care what happens to you.
              Glenna
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                In a message dated 6/4/2001 8:24:18 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                alleypat@... writes:

                > That's why most heppers are on antidepressants, the hep really messes with
                > us.

                I tried the anitdepressants, Pat. Boy was that a mistake. If I'm going to
                take Welbutron or Paxel, somebody will also have to write a script for an
                anticonvulsant. I'm not a depressive personality, but this show will
                definitely slow you down. But the antidepressants, physically wire me.
                Never have reacted to drugs "normally". Hence, the non-responder, I guess.

              • sylvati
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 4, 2001
                  Dear Charley

                  please stop drinking ! honestly, don't have any at all. also there are
                  lots of things you can do with your diet to help you feel better. cut out
                  caffiene, fat, sugar etc and eat lots of fresh fruit & veg, fish & chicken
                  are good but not too much red meat.

                  good luck, love Sylv
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 5, 2001
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 5, 2001
                      Anne,
                      It is never a very good idea to completely give up salt.
                      5 gm salt every day (one flatenned teaspoon full) is your minimun requirement and it wont upset your
                      BP.

                      Dr Sharat C Misra MD, DM

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 5, 2001
                        In a message dated 6/5/2001 3:17:38 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                        CHARLEY118@... writes:

                        > im told to cut out red meat all i been eating is dear meat aint that
                        > suppose to be good for you compare to beef or pork

                        Yes, deer meat is the best you can do. It has less fat than either chicken
                        or turkey. If you have any to spare, I'm up for taking some off your hands.
                        David wasn't able to hunt this year because of his hernia, so I'm down to one
                        side of beef. I can feel a panic attack setting in. Also, if you'll e-mail
                        me at avansi7465@..., I'll send you my special deer barbecue recipe.
                        It's delicious, if I do say so myself.
                        Take care and stay healthy,

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 6, 2001
                            Dear Dr. Misra,
                            Thank you for the advice. I gave up salted with the idea in mind that I'm
                            probably getting enough sodium from canned goods and my canned pickles, etc.,
                            to cover the amount. I don't retain water, so maybe I should add a little.
                            Thanks again, Anne

                          • Go Friend
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 9, 2001
                              I know I may sound like a broken record but for me
                              freshly ground flax seed daily has been a great help
                              with my occasional mild depression, without side
                              effects.

                              I am curious about the salt minimum tho.

                              "It is never a very good idea to completely give up
                              salt.5 gm salt every day (one flatenned teaspoon full)
                              is your minimun requirement and it wont upset your BP.

                              Dr Sharat C Misra MD, DM"

                              I don't eat many prepared foods (potato chips many 3
                              or 4 times a year, for instance), nothing with blood
                              in it, and we don't cook with salt. I am fairly
                              certain there are many days or weeks at a time I don't
                              get that flattened teaspoon of salt. Two questions:

                              Is there some symptom of salt deficiency I would
                              notice myself? What should I be looking for? (Okay,
                              so I am only counting that as one question :-)

                              Is it the salt itself that is needed or the sodium?
                              If so, could I be getting enough sodium through diet?
                              I do use Braggs Liquid Aminos instead of salt, and
                              that does say it has some naturally occuring sodium.
                              I am sure other foods also have high sodium levels.

                              a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                            • Alley/Pat
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 11, 2001
                                hi Charley,

                                PLEEEZe don't drink with hep c. I have no liver damage and I keep my
                                drinking to the absolute minium. I had one glass of wine the other day, when
                                hubby and i were treated to dinner in a fancy restaraunt, where they put the
                                napkin in your lap and everything haha. But even then I didn't finsh the
                                glass, hubby did for me haha.

                                alley
                              • runabout_104
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 17, 2002
                                  Thanks for letting me know that this is soooo normal, but hate that
                                  all of u r going thru it too, at least now I know this is normal
                                  behaviour for the meds. HOpe it doesn't cont--God forbid, if i loose
                                  something though, the whole house is liable to come down. But i did
                                  good yest, I misplaced the check book and didn't even look for it and
                                  tried not to even care and yep, u r right, it turned up, Now if those
                                  darn food stamps wd just do the same, I wd be in business. It' been
                                  over a week on them! ha
                                • Curlykew
                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 18 10:42 PM
                                    I think that brain fog has a lot to do with ammonia build up in the brain.. and trying to remember what causes that.. think maybe too much red meat.. i used to study and research a lot about hep c..but i have the brain fog.. cant concentrate so much .. so i am not sure but know it is ammonia in the brain... I used to work for a big finance company but the brain fog really messed me up .. too much pressure and stress.. now i make 1/3 the income and hus left me in middle of treatment .. so my income level went down but, you know what, that didnt bother me so much. Hep C has made me look at life differently... i try to avoid stress .. in my situation that means .. dont worry .. LOL.. hard at times but i concentrate on the good in my life now .. and hus leaving was probably a good thing... now thinking of going back to teaching but scared.. as is a big responsibility to the kids.. but was love of my life at one time .. to teach.. did it for 10 years.. oh well .. we shall see what God has in store for me.. am applying for a fellowship to get a certificate to teach deaf education.. what i always wanted.. i do still have the hep c and cirrhosis but is like the report said.. the combo treatment may not have cleared me but it really improved things for me .. even tho i have cirrhosis.. doc hasnt pushed the new treatment as i am doing ok for now and treatment can almost make it so i can not work... i have a good job .. not high pay but good insurance and flexible schedule that helps when i am sick... well enuf bout me.. i just wanted to say .. that brain fog can be lessened by eating habits i believe... now if i can get back to good ones again.. LOL.. was easier when treatment inhibited my appetite.. started bicycling and is doing me wonders too.. well i dont contribute often but do read most all postings and this is .. like someone said .. an ACTIVE group

                                    content,

                                    Dawn

                                    My message to you: Don't worry, be happy!!
                                    Love to hear from YOU!
                                    Dawn

                                  • willem landstra

                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 19 2:44 AM
                                        I have not heard about the brain fog being caused by ammonia build ups
                                        in the brain...not that red meat might be the cause. Hmmmm...will have
                                        to ask doc about that.

                                        But if you have cirhossis, doesn't (and pardon my spelling here)
                                        encepholitis usually accompany cirhossis or is that only at end stages?

                                        Curlykew wrote:

                                        > I think that brain fog has a lot to do with ammonia build up in the
                                        > brain.. and trying to remember what causes that.. think maybe too much
                                        > red meat.. i used to study and research a lot about hep c..but i have
                                        > the brain fog.. cant concentrate so much .. so i am not sure but know
                                        > it is ammonia in the brain... I used to work for a big finance company
                                        > but the brain fog really messed me up .. too much pressure and
                                        > stress.. now i make 1/3 the income and hus left me in middle of
                                        > treatment .. so my income level went down but, you know what, that
                                        > didnt bother me so much. Hep C has made me look at life differently...
                                        > i try to avoid stress .. in my situation that means .. dont worry ..
                                        > LOL.. hard at times but i concentrate on the good in my life now ..
                                        > and hus leaving was probably a good thing... now thinking of going
                                        > back to teaching but scared.. as is a big responsibility to the kids..
                                        > but was love of my life at one time .. to teach.. did it for 10
                                        > years.. oh well .. we shall see what God has in store for me.. am
                                        > applying for a fellowship to get a certificate to teach deaf
                                        > education.. what i always wanted.. i do still have the hep c and
                                        > cirrhosis but is like the report said.. the combo treatment may not
                                        > have cleared me but it really improved things for me .. even tho i
                                        > have cirrhosis.. doc hasnt pushed the new treatment as i am doing ok
                                        > for now and treatment can almost make it so i can not work... i have a
                                        > good job .. not high pay but good insurance and flexible schedule that
                                        > helps when i am sick... well enuf bout me.. i just wanted to say ..
                                        > that brain fog can be lessened by eating habits i believe... now if i
                                        > can get back to good ones again.. LOL.. was easier when treatment
                                        > inhibited my appetite.. started bicycling and is doing me wonders
                                        > too.. well i dont contribute often but do read most all postings and
                                        > this is .. like someone said .. an ACTIVE group
                                        >
                                        > content,
                                        >
                                        > Dawn
                                        >

                                        > My message to you: Don't worry, be happy!!
                                        > Love to hear from YOU!
                                        > Dawn

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                        "It is in the shelter of each other that the people live." ~Irish
                                        proverb~

                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 19 3:00 AM
                                          Hi Willem...

                                          MSM is a wonderful thing. It is a derivative of DMSO (I'd have to look
                                          up the scientific term for that if you are interested) and when I
                                          learned that I started reading book after book about it. During my years
                                          on the racetrack, my hands were always in DMSO...we would rub it on the
                                          horses legs on top of the medicines to drive the medicines into the legs
                                          and on sore muscles because of the heat that came from DMSO. My
                                          arthritis never bothered me back then although I smelled like garlic all
                                          the time (dmso gives you a garlic odor).

                                          When I left the racetrack all the aches came back. Tried buying DMSO in
                                          health stores and pet supplies stores but it was always 'dead' and
                                          eventually gave up unless I could get it when the from a tack shop when
                                          it was racing season here in Chicago. Good DMSO smokes when you open the
                                          bottle...and it should always be stored in glass.

                                          So when I learned that MSM was a deritive of DMSO, I started
                                          reading...and still have at least one book around the house about it.
                                          Started taking it many years ago and it has save me much suffering from
                                          aches and pains.

                                          I'll dig out that book and pass along some other interesting things
                                          about MSM if you would like....just let me know.

                                          Blessings
                                          Tatezi

                                          willem landstra wrote:

                                          > HI.My brainfog was getting so bad,I.am off treatment,that I decided
                                          > to do something about it.My Doc said if it does.nt go away I hve to
                                          > see a neurologist.I went to a . ,person who knows a lot about
                                          > food-supplements.She advised MSM and multi.vit.(the group also advised
                                          > this)I bought MSM-vitals and multi from douglas lab,it has little iron
                                          > in it.Coul.dnt get sup without iron.And you know what it helps.After a
                                          > week my brainfog is getting less.Still hve this faint headache but
                                          > that feeling that you are floating is getting less.Also the flickering
                                          > of the eyes is getting less.Short memory is also better.Hope it will
                                          > go on improving.If I relapse again,that would be the fourth time,I hve
                                          > the promise that I can participate in a trial starting january with
                                          > protease inhibitors at the Acadamic Hospital in Amsterdam.Right now
                                          > I.am going to be a turtle who will put his Hep in the shell and going
                                          > to enjoy my summer,whether my liver likes it or not.LOL.William.

                                          [Image]

                                          Height: ftin

                                          Weight:

                                          Sex:FM

                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 19 3:41 AM
                                            By Brain Fog if you mean encephalopathy, it is due to ammonia accumulation in the brain and red meat is a big contributor.
                                            In fact people with advanced liver disease should be only on vegetable proteins.

                                            Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 19 6:46 PM
                                              In a message dated 5/19/2002 5:01:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                              wmland@... writes:

                                              > now I.am going to be a turtle who will put his Hep in the shell and going to
                                              > enjoy my summer,whether my liver likes it or not.LOL.William.

                                              Dear William,
                                              I agree. Now, if the weather will just cooperate with me, I'll "be in tall
                                              cotton".

                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 19 6:47 PM
                                                Hi William....I think that is a good idea....putting hepc on hold and
                                                enjoying your summer. I'm going to take your advice about that lol. Is
                                                MSM something I can buy at a local pharmacy?

                                                Carol

                                                [Image]

                                                Height: ftin

                                                Weight:

                                                Sex:FM

                                              • willem landstra
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 20 1:05 AM
                                                  HI.Yes,good idea.There.s nothing I can do about it now,except taking care how I live.Sometimes I think we.re too much pre-occupied about our Dragon.I.am a pickheaded dutchman and suspicious about alternative treatment and supplements.I spend a lot of money on our chinese citizens who hve little shops where tey claim to hve herbs to cure anything from cancer to broken relations.The most faith I hve is in Tibetan medicine.There is a non-profit making center here and at least they are honest and tell you we cannot cure you but improve the quality of your life.It.s the only alternative treatment which is paid for by the dutch health insurance.this lady advised me to take MSM I had my doubts but I feel a lot better now.I don.t know whether it.s the MSM or just natural recuperating.It also helps against joint-pains etc.You can buy it anywhere.Tat,our Tat,knows more about it.I had my first chess-game yesterday and for the first time I could think three moves ahead and rememberd the moves I made.It was a lovely day iin amsterdam,open air pubs and I could.nt resist the temptation and had the first cold Heineken in 5 yrs.It was heaven.I will drink one everyday,very slowly.Have a nice summer,life is short and who knows the great adventure which migt be lurking on the other side.We should have a little bit more Humor on the group.William.

                                                  willem landstra wrote:

                                                  > HI.My brainfog was getting so bad,I.am off treatment,that I decided
                                                  > to do something about it.My Doc said if it does.nt go away I hve to
                                                  > see a neurologist.I went to a . ,person who knows a lot about
                                                  > food-supplements.She advised MSM and multi.vit.(the group also advised
                                                  > this)I bought MSM-vitals and multi from douglas lab,it has little iron
                                                  > in it.Coul.dnt get sup without iron.And you know what it helps.After a
                                                  > week my brainfog is getting less.Still hve this faint headache but
                                                  > that feeling that you are floating is getting less.Also the flickering
                                                  > of the eyes is getting less.Short memory is also better.Hope it will
                                                  > go on improving.If I relapse again,that would be the fourth time,I hve
                                                  > the promise that I can participate in a trial starting january with
                                                  > protease inhibitors at the Acadamic Hospital in Amsterdam.Right now
                                                  > I.am going to be a turtle who will put his Hep in the shell and going
                                                  > to enjoy my summer,whether my liver likes it or not.LOL.William.

                                                  [Image]

                                                  Height: ftin

                                                  Weight:

                                                  Sex:FM