Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] brain fog(for Pat)

    Message 1 of 4 , May 31, 2001
      Dear Pat,
      I don't know about everybody else, but treatment worsened my brain fog. We
      all experience a certain amount of "forgetfulness after we reach 40, but this
      is absurd. While doing alpha-interferon, I a) couldn't cook without the
      recipe in front of me. (As a caterer, among other things, this is unheard
      of). b) I actually began to forget what parts of microscopes and opthalmic
      equipment were called. c) I would try to explain a simple problem to my
      customers and couldn't think of the words to express myself.
      After treatment is better, but, I have to be very careful about how I
      communicate. As a dyslexic, I have always had to memorize. I find myself
      speaking more slowly and using a simpler vocabulary than I used to. I can
      still go through the motions. I just don't communicate as quickly or as
      effectively. I can still do both with the computer and the telephone, but
      get me in a room full of people that I have to teach a microscopy course to
      and I will be in trouble.
      The good news, is that working for my friend, selling "depression glass" has
      proven to me that I can still memorize, I just can't get flustered, or I'll
      screw something else up.
      Don't know if this helped or depressed you.
      LOL,

    • Alley/Pat
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
        anne, for sure!

        On treatment, I would stop in the middle of a sentence and mouth wide open,
        forget what I was talking about. I couldn't think of names or words to
        describe things. As a writer, I rely on my 'gift' of words, and I felt so
        stoopid! But it passes when the meds go away.
        Patricia / Andromeda Gurl/ Alleypat
        Grand Prairie, Tx, USA, Earth
        http://members.home.com/andromedagurl
        ICQ: 12631861
        AOL IM: DallasAlleyPat
        MSN: PJHauldren
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2001
          In a message dated 6/2/2001 5:53:31 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          alleypat@... writes:

          > On treatment, I would stop in the middle of a sentence and mouth wide open,
          > forget what I was talking about. I couldn't think of names or words to
          > describe things. As a writer, I rely on my 'gift' of words, and I felt so
          > stoopid! But it passes when the meds go away.
          > Patricia / Andromeda Gurl/ Alleypat

          Well I wouldn't say it passes. I would say that we accommodate for it. We
          train the brain to work in a different way, so the neurons fire differently.
          But not like they used to. However, I can still work my own income
          tax...........for whatever that might be worth ( this is not EZ1040) :-) Anne

        • Alley/Pat
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3, 2001
            Anne said <<EZ 1040>>

            hahaha Well, I've been off treatment about 2 months now, and my brain is
            slowly coming back some. I don't think we are ever as sharp at 45 as were
            might have been at 15 haha but my mind feels much better and my attitude and
            outlook much happier. Maybe because I feel that I've done the best I could
            by doing treatment, and it's time to go on with my life and be happy :)

            But my mind has returned pretty much.