QUESTION

  • Photoart
    Message 1 of 30 , Apr 26 5:33 AM
      I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF HERBS AND VITAMINS FOR HEP, THEY WANT TO DO THE 18 COMBO,THE 1ST DIDN'T WORK,BUT DON WANT TO GO THREW THAT AGAIN,
      PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MARTINE BEVEL
      Message 2 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
        To sbfla@... (Sonny & Barbara):

        Ouch! Please use upper and lower case letters instead of all capital
        letters. On the web, all capitals mean you're screaming. :)

        You do ask an important and interesting question though!

        Good luck to you and your hubby! Hollie
      • CONSHYJO@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
          IM On combo myself going on three months. I know its terrible But the
          response rate is a lot higher with combo than with the interferon alone
          thats the best imfo i can give you Good luck keep in touch
          Joe
        • sbfla@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
          Message 4 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
            Thank you for answering my e-mail.I just joined ..Please forgive my
            ignorance..Are you a member the doc. ? Thank you again...Barbara
          • sbfla@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
            Message 5 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
              i am sorry I forgot to send the original letter from you..Barbara

            • CONSHYJO@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                NO im just another patient with hep c strugling along.
                Message 7 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                  o.k.Joe..thanks..we live in Fla. do you mind if I ask where you live?
                  And how are you doing? barbara

                • CONSHYJO@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                    No Problem Conshohocken Pa. 10 miles west of Phil My son lives in fla in
                    Gainesville
                  • NexusTeam@xxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                      Barbara:
                      No, I'm not a doc or in the medical profession at all. He does respond to
                      questions when he can though.

                      The support group you joined has a master list and everybody gets a copy of
                      your questions, comments, and answers and you get a copy of our stuff too.
                      Hopefully there will be some information that you can use! I guess you could
                      always e-mail whoever you wanted to, without everybody getting a copy.
                      Here's the doc's e-mail address (gidoc@...) if you feel more comfortable
                      corresponding with just him. Of course, we're happy to have you along also!
                      :)

                      I'm in the group because I have Hep C also. Your husband was lucky that he
                      could tolerate the combo therapy, because after two months on it I sure
                      couldn't. I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to tolerate a new drug in
                      the future.

                      Hugs, Hollie
                    • sbfla@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                        Gainesville is about an hour west of here.
                      • CONSHYJO@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                          Ok yor near jacksonville
                        • NexusTeam@xxx.xxx
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                            So you're close to Cedar Key? That's where the husband and I usually go for
                            special occassions (birthdays, anniversaries). Nice area! Hollie
                          • AABASSO@xxx.xxx
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                              your chat emails are going out to thousands of people. can you guys chat
                              privately. your loading up everyones mailbox's
                            • sbfla@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                                I am sorry..I just joined and was not aware of this.Barbara

                              • byteme
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                                  I also live in Central Florida, and I am a provider of health care. If I
                                  can help, let me know. Marty
                                • Doc
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                                    For Barbara,
                                    Here is the info of your interest:
                                    Approximately 5%-10% of sustained responders will relapse with HCV
                                    infection over the next 5-10 years
                                    All HCV patients who achieve a sustained response to interferon
                                    monotherapy have been shown to have a "durable" response. Ninety-five
                                    percent of such patients continue to have undetectable virus when
                                    followed for 3-5 years. Whether this finding holds true for patients
                                    receiving combination interferon/ribavirin therapy has not previously
                                    been addressed but results one such study are available now.
                                    A subset of 316 sustained responders have now been followed for more
                                    than 6 months to determine whether the response to treatment is durable.
                                    Ninety-seven percent of patients demonstrated a durable response
                                    (defined as the absence of detectable HCV RNA when followed a further 12
                                    to 36 months after cessation of therapy). Thus, the late relapse rate
                                    was < 3% and the durability of the response appeared to be equivalent
                                    for combination interferon/ribavirin and interferon monotherapy. These
                                    findings indicate that irrespective of treatment strategy, a sustained
                                    virologic response 6 months after cessation of treatment will most
                                    likely be maintained in the majority of patients. This study will
                                    continue with a total follow-up of 5 years.
                                    However, A subset of 316 sustained responders have now been followed for
                                    more than 6 months to determine whether the response to treatment is
                                    durable. Ninety-seven percent of patients demonstrated a durable
                                    response (defined as the absence of detectable HCV RNA when followed a
                                    further 12 to 36 months after cessation of therapy). Thus, the late
                                    relapse rate was < 3% and the durability of the response appeared to be
                                    equivalent for combination interferon/ribavirin and interferon
                                    monotherapy. These findings indicate that irrespective of treatment
                                    strategy, a sustained virologic response 6 months after cessation of
                                    treatment will most likely be maintained in the majority of patients.
                                    This study will continue with a total follow-up of 5 years.
                                    However results of previous studies have shown that individuals with
                                    hepatitis C and advanced fibrosis or cirrhosis respond less well to
                                    antiviral therapy.
                                    The viral genotype also has an effect on treatment outcome.
                                    70%-80% of those infected with genotypes 2 and 3 will be sustained
                                    responders to therapy compared with only 10%-20% of patients with
                                    genotype 1. He also noted that approximately 5%-10% of sustained
                                    responders will relapse with HCV infection over the next 5-10 years.

                                    Dr Sharat C Misra MD, DM
                                    Consultant Gastroenterologist & Hepatologist
                                    Each morning is the doorway to a new world,
                                    A beginning of infinite possibilities.

                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 10, 2000
                                      In a message dated 1/10/2000 1:14:50 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                      AABASSO@... writes:

                                      << rom: AABASSO@...

                                      your chat emails are going out to thousands of people. can you guys chat
                                      privately. your loading up everyones mailbox's

                                      I fail to see where your problem is with the "chat" emails. For some, this
                                      list is the only support they have. Yes, we definitely rely on

                                    • Brendagoez@xxx.xxx
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 11, 2000
                                        Dear Barbara,
                                        What was/is his PCR level when he ended treatment? And why was he on it for
                                        only 6 months?
                                        Love,
                                        Bren
                                      • McCoyAngel@xxx.xxx
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 11, 2000
                                          I was on interferon alone for 6 mos and couldn't take it anymore. Then went
                                          on the combo when it was approved. After the first...the response lasted
                                          only as long as the shots. But its now been 6 mos since the combo and LFT's
                                          are still normal. I will get a HEP C RNA done tomorrow and we'll see.
                                          Amy
                                        • Brendagoez@xxx.xxx
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jan 11, 2000
                                            Good Luck Amy - let us know your results.
                                            Love,
                                            Bren
                                          • Papaspridg@xxx.xxx
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 11, 2000
                                              Amy, Hello
                                              Sorry to sound uninformed but could you explain RNA, is that the viral load?
                                              Tom
                                            • Papaspridg@xxx.xxx
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 11, 2000
                                                Hello All
                                                This will sound strange but I'm still lost with all the abbreviations what do
                                                all of the RNA, MCW, RDW, VL and all the rest mean? I get a print out and an
                                                explanation of my lab results but when I get out of the office and have time
                                                between work being sick and most of all the kids, I'm lost for what
                                                everything means.
                                                Could someone please help?
                                                Tom
                                              • Brendagoez@xxx.xxx
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 11, 2000
                                                  <A HREF="http://www.carbonbased.com/cbcblood.htm">CBC Blood Chemistry
                                                  Definitions</A>
                                                • Brendagoez@xxx.xxx
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jan 12, 2000
                                                    In a message dated 1/11/2000 8:55:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                                    Papaspridg@... writes:

                                                    << RNA, is that the viral load? >>RNA stands for "Rbionuclear acid" What
                                                    does that mean? ha ha I'll try to explain it as best I can without further
                                                    confusing you. HCV is a single stranded RNA virus. And yes, you could say it
                                                    is your viral load although the correct term for your viral load is PCR RNA.
                                                  • VJannell@xxx.xxx
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jan 15, 2000
                                                      Hi-see if you can download Layman's Guide to Hep C Viral Load - part 2 in
                                                      series. This was best thing I ever read explaining in "dummy" terms what is
                                                      going on. Good luck. Vickie
                                                    • Mark Reynolds
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jan 15, 2000
                                                        To GI-World-Hepatitis@onelist.com
                                                        Please take me off this list. I"m flooded with to much mail signed
                                                        marey@...

                                                      • kalidurga@webtv.net
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Apr 15 8:47 PM
                                                          I am in my eight month of the combo and most of the physical side
                                                          affects are gone, except being tired, and having sore arms if i sleep
                                                          too long on one side at night. I was on Interferon alone in 1993 and i
                                                          did it for six months, so i didnt know what to expect after the six
                                                          month mark this time.
                                                          well beside having NO interest in sex, which is fine with me, I have
                                                          been getting depressed alot. I am on Wellbutrin, because of my history
                                                          of depression, and now my psychiatrist just started me on a low dose of
                                                          Prozac also. I havent told me specialist or primary care, because they
                                                          said they would never have put me on it, unless was on meds for the
                                                          depression. now that the depression seems to be hitting me stronger, i
                                                          dont want them to pull me off the meds. My viral load and labs are good.
                                                          Im genotype 1b and need to stay on for 48 weeks.
                                                          My question;

                                                          is it wise to take a week or so off to take a rest from the drugs? will
                                                          that take away from the depression if i do take a week or so off? Or
                                                          would that be dumb, and not be good for my liver?

                                                          The depression just was starting to bother me the day after the shot, i
                                                          do mine at 9 pm, so the next morning i am pretty wiped out and down. but
                                                          now it seems to have a mind of its own. it just hits me. i could be
                                                          laughing with a friend, or watching tv, or someone might say something
                                                          and 'pow', i literally feel myself falling into a depression. i hate it,
                                                          because i reminds me of when i was a child.

                                                          i know a side affect is depression from the combo, but as anyone else
                                                          actually stoped the combo for a short while? and if so, did it help?

                                                          i am 31 years old and have not been this depressed since my teenage
                                                          years. i have always worked ALOT and i am known for my energy, which
                                                          bothers me now since i have none, i am a vegetarian and eat healthy,
                                                          dont drink or smoke or do drugs. i am not working, which i think makes
                                                          me feel isolated, but sometimes i am wiped out, i do get out and walk my
                                                          dog 1 to 3 hours a day, i live near a fenced dog park in the city and i
                                                          socialize alot there, that helps.
                                                          but i a so sick of the ups and downs. this is how i know its the combo.

                                                          i hate to vent, i dont post much. i have joined many onelist groups,
                                                          ones for; hep, depression, loneliess and i was hoping that would help.

                                                          the two hep support groups here in boston are once a month, and i was
                                                          told they are basically medically orientated, and not like a support
                                                          group to talk about emotions.

                                                          if anyone has any suggestions PLEASE get back to me. i want to fight
                                                          this awful disease. i just had a frend who had a kidney transplant, his
                                                          sisters gave him one, WOW!!!, and it really hit home to what may lie
                                                          ahead.

                                                          im open for suggestions.
                                                          Thanks.
                                                        • mlenear@healthcite.com
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jan 31, 2001
                                                            --- In GIWorld-Hepatitis@y..., "Photoart" <photoart@v...> wrote:
                                                            > I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT KIND OF HERBS AND VITAMINS FOR HEP, THEY
                                                            WANT TO DO THE 18 COMBO,THE 1ST DIDN'T WORK,BUT DON WANT TO GO THREW
                                                            THAT AGAIN,
                                                            > PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MARTINE BEVEL

                                                            Hi Martine,

                                                            You can find a bunch of information about Hep B at the following
                                                            http://www.healthcite.com/HealthReview/p2215.html

                                                            If you look under the Treatments section you will find stuff about
                                                            conventional treatments as well as alternative/herbal therapies.

                                                            Best Regards,

                                                            Monica Lenear
                                                            HealthCite
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Feb 2, 2001
                                                              Hi Martine,
                                                              I missed this message from you I guess, never saw
                                                              it. When is it from? What reason did whoever give
                                                              you for wanting you back on combo, when it didn't work
                                                              once already? Is it the exact same dose and
                                                              everything? I will see what info I have on
                                                              alternatives, but I don't think it's much. Keep in
                                                              mind they may help, but none will get rid of the
                                                              virus. I did find a really great place to look up
                                                              info on herbs and supplements, including toxicities,
                                                              side effects, and indications, also drug interactions,
                                                              etc. It is: The Natural Pharmacist -
                                                              http://www.tnp.com/home.asp
                                                              Good luck,
                                                              Claudine