HCV Ribbon

  • Patti Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
      Ok, I've known about my HCV for almost 3 years and don't
      know about the ribbon. Can someone enlighten me?

      About doctors -- the first MD told me that having HCV
      antibodies meant that I had had hep at one time and was now
      immune because of the antibodies!!! Of course, I
      immediately changed docs.

      BTW, I also believe in the 'brain fog.' Life was
      challenging enough before I was diagnosed, but for me
      *knowing* is what causes me the most stress!

      Enjoy each day we are given on this wonderful planet!
    • Brendagoez@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
        Dear Patti,
        Ribavirin is used in conjunction with Interferon. It's a booster for it. The
        two are commonly referred to as the "Combination" or "Combo"
        Love,
        Bren
      • Brendagoez@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
          Dear Patti,
          I'm feeling stupid! I obviously didn't read your posting correctly! You mean
          the HCV ribbon? I have two different ones. The first is a pin shaped like the
          Aids ribbon only with yellow and red colors. The yellow signifies the liver
          and the red signifies blood. My other ribbon has the same colors with a small
          little pin at the top. I have extras and if you send me your address, I'll be
          more then happy to mail you one. I believe I have an extra one of each.
          Love,
          Bren
        • alley/Patricia
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
          • alley/Patricia
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
              Sorry brenda but it works for me.
              http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/4259/Pin.html
              Keep trying.

              Here's what it says...........................

              Welcome To The
              HCV Awareness Project

              The ribbon/pin shown below is a Hepatitis C Awareness Pin. The main goal
              and
              only reason for this project is to Promote Hepatitis C Awareness in
              our
              communities.

              Proceeds from sales of this Awareness Pin will be donated to Support
              Groups to
              assist financially in whatever ways they may need. You can be proud to know
              your
              purchase is helping others less fortunate.

              We donated $500 in 1999 to Sheltie House, Inc., and another
              $500 to a local Support Group. If you have a support group
              you would like to see receive funds from the Pin Project,
              please contact me via email. Your group must be a Non-Profit
              organization in order to receive the donation.

              There are many ribbons being sold to help promote Hepatitis C Awareness.
              There is
              no "Official" HepC pin. No matter what form of ribbon you wear, this one
              or the
              ribbon alone, you are promoting awareness of Hepatitis C. Where you get it
              or who
              you get it from is of no importance. The fact that you are wearing one
              and
              promoting awareness for HepC is the important thing!

              I found this picture in my PrintMASTER´┐Ż Gold program as an outline of a
              dragon.
              I have used the outline picture as the logo for the Support Group in
              Southern
              California I started in July 1998. John at US PIN added the yellow coloring
              to it for
              me and is making them. A picture of the pin is shown below.

              Wear this pin with pride!

              Hepatitis C is known as the Dragon, which explains the design on the pin.
              The main
              objective of this project is to create a pin that could be sold at a
              small price, and
              pass the money received on to a worthy Organization that would assist
              others with
              this disease. The red on the ribbon stands for a blood disease, the yellow
              for a liver
              disease.

[...]

              In 1998 12,000 people died due to HCV or complications from HCV. That number
              is expected to TRIPLE by the year 2010.

              LeighAnn's email is mailto:lvogel@...

              alley/Patricia
              ICQ 12631861
              alleypat@... <mailto:alleypat@...>
              http://www.mailbonus.com/index.cfm?ref=alleypat@...
            • Leslie Gibbenhuck
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 31, 2000
                Hi Patti
                Five years ago we at the BC Hepatitis Foundation in Canada decided we needed
                an awareness ribbon similar to those that are readily identified with AIDS.
                We chose the yellow (representative of the liver) and red (representing
                blood that carries the virus). It has been a totally successful venture. To
                date we have filled orders around the world. Many are sent to the US, and
                some folks have just decided to lap two individual ribbons together. I was
                very impressed when Amgen took it upon themselves to create a metal pin of
                the ribbon.

                Anything that works, as long as it is the colours what else matters!!

                Should you want more information, please contact me personally.

                Warmest Regards,
                leslie

              • Brendagoez@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
                  In a message dated 2/1/2000 3:04:05 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  alleypat@... writes:

                  << http://www.geocities.com/theTropics/Shores/4259/Pin.html >>
                  Dear Patricia,
                  I couldn't get through to this link.
                  Love,
                  Bren
                • M. J. Ruble
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 7, 2000
                    Leslie, How do you get one of these ribbons???

                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 11, 2000
                      On the HCV Ribbon.. I got mine!!! THANKS!!!

                      A group of people I know are planning a health seminar (at the Gay & Lesbian
                      Community Center) and wil lhave lots of info on AIDS. I am gonna worm my way
                      in with info on HCV and would like to know if I can purchase up front a
                      bunch of ribbons to sell there. I'm not sure when this is happening as it's
                      still in the planning stages. Thanks!

                      alley/Patricia
                      ICQ 12631861
                      alleypat@... <mailto:alleypat@...>