Corey's Question-Early Symptoms

  • Gail Samples
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2000
      Corey-

      I developed cryoglobulinemia in childhood-several years after my 4 year bout
      with chronic kidney infection & other urinary tract problems. I was
      hospitalized quite a few times, with quite a few terrifying trips to a room
      where I would be gassed & procedures done to me. I haven't the faintest
      idea what was done, sometimes I would have a hole in my abdomen afterwards,
      other times I would not. Lots of shots, lots of those damn stabs in the
      fingers for peripheral blood drawing, also times where other regulars would
      tell me that I was taken away during the night. Anyway, I suspect that is
      where I was exposed to HCV. Back in those days (late 50's early 60's) the
      nurses were still mouth pipetting blood, and there was lots of tygon tubing
      used in blood drawing procedures-no nice little tubes already made up to
      clip on the end of the needle for the tests. There were no such things as
      private rooms, at least not for children, we were in big wards filled with
      kids. Anyway, I also had a period of IV drug use; could I have been
      co-infected then, or could that really be when I got HCV-who knows? The
      best any one can do is say is that they had high risk periods (if they did),
      but that does not mean that is exactly when they caught this stupid disease.

      Gail