Chinese Medicine-long

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2001
      Hi Sylv....Thanks for your concern....everyone here is always so
      supportive.

      These "problems" are more annoyances than anything else. I've had it
      pretty easy other than losing my thyroid during tx. Course the tx hasn't
      put me into remission although it has lowered my viral load
      considerably. I read some of your posts and don't know how you deal with
      the awful sides so many of you experience.

      My chinese medical practitioner went through western medical school and
      also studied pharmacology before going into chinese medicine which
      involved a lot more years of schooling and training. He found the
      mindset of western medicine to be lacking in not treating the whole,
      only treating the symptoms and wanted to be able to do more to help
      people. He blends eastern and western medicine/philosopies and has a
      thorough knowledge of drugs and herbs and works with my pcp.

      He is well aware of the drugs I am taking for treatment....while the
      liver guy has no knowledge of herbs and refuses to believe in the
      possibility they can help in anyway. ..other than milk thistle. That in
      my opinion is ignorance and closed mindedness. How can you refuse to
      accept something that is proven to work in many cases over many
      centuries even though there is no scientific proof.

      Course I have a problem with western medicine and always have. Most
      practitioners refuse to accept that anything but modern drugs can help
      with anything...they have a pill for this and a pill for that and rarely
      look at the whole being, but only the symptoms. The chinese philosophy
      of looking at the whole makes much more sense to me....but that is me
      and I don't expect anyone to agree with how I feel.

      And I am fortunate in that one of the large medical teaching
      universities in Chicago has this integrative medicine division where
      they blend eastern and western philosophies. They have chinese medical
      practitioners, chiropractors, chinese massage experts, herbalists and
      MDs. Can't get much more comprehensive than that.

      I'll give you an example one of the successes we have had to date. For a
      couple years I had been having problems sleeping and sitting still. Had
      to keep getting up and moving around. At first I blamed it on my bed and
      bought a new bed. Then I blamed it on the cats and locked them out of
      the bedroom. When I still had problems I just learned to live with it
      until it reached the point where I was getting no more than a couple
      hours of sleep a night. My doctor diagnosed it as restless leg syndrome
      and put me on Clonopin for sleep. One more pill/chemical for my liver to
      metabolize causing it to work harder.

      When I started seeing my oriental medicine practitioner he immediately
      diagnosed me as a warm person....I'm a little vague on the
      warm/cool/damp theory in oriental medicine but am reading and learning
      more all the time. It's not just body temperature and metabolism but I
      haven't been able to put all the pieces together yet. So in my herbs
      which are blended specifically to me and my needs, he included cooling
      herbs. Warm causes restlessness within the body and the chinese
      philosophy is to cool you down to eliminate the restlessness. After
      about a week of being on this herbal blend in combination with
      acupuncture, I was no longer having the problem with my legs needing to
      move and am no longer taking Clonopin to be able sleep.

      Is it scientific? Not according to western scientific beliefs. But it
      worked and that can't be questioned. And it is based on philosophies and
      medical practices that are centuries old.

      The more I learn, the more the pieces fit together. Ofcourse I am pagan
      and since chinese medicine is based on Taoist beliefs which are based on
      pagan beliefs, it is easier for me to understand.

      It's all pretty fascinating to me....and each time I learn a new piece
      it fits with something going on with me. I've been very inflexible and
      unaccepting of change that has been quite apparent in the last year, and
      was very unlike me. I've been blaming it on the rebetron. But according
      to chinese philosophy, a diseased liver (which is associated with the
      emotion anger and the element wood) is hard and inflexible....causing
      that trait to be manifested in the personality.

      If anyone is interested in more as I learn more and experience more, I'd
      be glad to share with you...but I don't want to bore anyone on the list
      if no one is interested or offend anyone. The merging of eastern and
      western philosophies, in my opinion, gives us the best chance at
      fighting this dragon. But the eastern philosopy takes some
      work....proper nutrition is critical (this is my downfall but I'm
      working on it) acupunture is important (he treats my liver and immune
      system points every week) and exercise is important....in the case of
      people with liver problems, stretching is the prefered form of exercise
      such as yoga because of the liver's association with the sinews.

      Wow, I've really been going on....I'll add the word "long" to the header
      so everyone is forewarned. Guess with my thyroid count starting to
      stabilize I'm making up for lost time. <g>

      Tatezi

      sylvati wrote:

      > Hi Tatezi
      >
      > sorry to hear you have been having so many problems. I would be very
      > very
      > careful about mixing herbs with the drugs. Have you given your hep
      > doc a
      > complete list of herbs the chinese doc is giving you to see if they
      > are OK?
      > It would be a shame if you went through all this just to find out that
      > the
      > herbs had cancelled out any good the drugs were doing, or worse still
      > that a
      > reaction occurs between the two that causes more problems than you
      > have
      > already. please talk to your hep do!
      >
      > love Sylv

      [Paid Net2Phone Advertisement - Click Here!]
      Paid Net2Phone Advertisement - Click Here!

    • Suzy Balone
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 9, 2001
        Tatezi,

        I too find that western doctors are closed minded as well as not being able
        to say they don't know what the problem is , they tell you its all in your
        head, I had numbness and tingling in my arm and left hand , after running
        many tests, he told me it was in my head, this was a workmans comp. doc,
        then I found out I had Hep C
        that could have been the cause of all the symptoms I was experiencing, but
        he still didn't get, just told me he wouldn't see me anymore. Good
        riddance because I didn't want to see him either. You are lucky to have
        such a wide variety of eastern, western medicine in your area, I live in a
        small city and though there are some not as many and not blended like
        Chicago.
        Hope everything continues to go well

        Suzy

        From: Tatezi <tatezi@...>
        To: GIWorld-Hepatitis@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Chinese Medicine-long
        Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 13:38:24 -0500

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 26, 2001
          Suzy....just found this in my drafts folder.....was either interrupted
          or had computer problems when I wrote it.....

          Thanks for your note Suzy. The more I read and the more I talk to my
          chinese medical practitioner, the more I realized how many years ago I
          could have learned of this and begun treating it.

          Yes, numbness and tingling in the hands....especially at night is a sign
          of liver problems. Weak tendons, muscles, ligaments also. And as my
          chinese medical practitioner tells me, liver problems are followed by
          digestive system problems....gurgling, problems digesting food, etc. It
          has to do with the enzymes aren't being produced necessary to properly
          break food down.