Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Started Tmt, Day 4

  • Alley/Pat
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
      Edie,

      hahah! I tell people to "wake up and smell the interferon!" haha

      I'm glad it's not too bad for you. Yep gotta drink that water! and try
      keeping some popsicles around too. I use hard candy or gum for that really
      dry mouth (I take decongestants too and you talk about DRY!). The sugarless
      hard candy is good to keep at your desk if you can. I also kept one of
      those microwavable packs in the ice box at work to put on my neck.

      Good luck!

      Patricia / Alley
      alleypat@...
      oshidori@...
      http://www.alleypat.com
      My ICQ#:12631861

      I can't think of a worse way to start a day than by waking up
    • sylvati
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
        good luck to you with your treatment. love Sylv
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
          Hi Edie,
          Thanks for the update. I don't think I've ever
          heard of jitters before, as a side effect I mean. I
          wonder if that could be from the amantadine, or just
          something that's happening because of the fatigue?
          Did your doctor say if amantadine has any side
          effects? Try sugar-free gum for the dry mouth. There
          is some brand made specifically for dry mouth (my
          dentist told me about it) but I can't remember what it
          is called. It was kind of expensive if I remember
          right, and the regular sugar-free gum seemed to work
          about as well. I'm glad that things aren't any worse,
          hopefully it will just get better now. Take care!

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Edie Rodriguez
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
            Claudine,

            Yes, the Amantadine has a long list of side effects. I got the list around
            here somewhere. If I remember right, I believe the list of side effects
            were a lot like the Ribavirin.

            I am feeling lots better this afternoon. I actually got a little housework
            done. I am so happy because I just got called for an interview for a job.

            I was wondering, do sides come and go throughout treatment, or is this
            sweating/headache/spacy/lack of energy is what I can basically expect for
            the next 11 months?

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
              Edie,
              Most of us only have experience with the old
              combo and 3 times a week injections. But I would
              think that much would be the same, and other than the
              fatigue and depression, most of the side effects are
              worse the first few weeks. Also, it's been reported
              that most people who participated in studies of the
              pegylated interferons say that while the side effects
              were about the same, their quality of life while on
              peg was better than while on regular interferon. So I
              take that to mean that it must get better! So hang in
              there! Good luck on the job interview.

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • caban cirene
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 8, 2001
                Hi EDIE
                Recently finished a full year on Pegasyus combo, as
                part of clinical trial study, and thought the sides
                were A LOT less than either the old combo (w/daily
                shots) or infergen (yes, I did the full time on both
                those programs). Good luck, Cirene

                --- claudine intexas <claudineintexas@...>

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 8, 2001
                  Hi Edie
                  More on PEG/combo side effects...try doing your weekly
                  shot on Friday night...it helped me...gave me the
                  weekend to sleep it off...remember to drink LOTS of
                  water...take naps...pace yourself...schedule friends
                  and/or family to help...give each a weekly task for
                  the next 11 months...Take care, Cirene