Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Started Tmt, Day 4

  • Lorad8@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
      Edie,
      I love your new motto.... Humor is Sooooo helpful
      Staying positive,
      Lora

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
        Edie....

        So glad to hear that it hasn't been so bad for you. Sure hope it keeps
        going this way.

        Blessings
        Tatezi

        Edie Rodriguez wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        >
        > I started my treatment on Friday morning by taking my 3 Ribavirin and
        > 1 Amantadine.

      • Alley/Pat
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
          Edie,

          hahah! I tell people to "wake up and smell the interferon!" haha

          I'm glad it's not too bad for you. Yep gotta drink that water! and try
          keeping some popsicles around too. I use hard candy or gum for that really
          dry mouth (I take decongestants too and you talk about DRY!). The sugarless
          hard candy is good to keep at your desk if you can. I also kept one of
          those microwavable packs in the ice box at work to put on my neck.

          Good luck!

          Patricia / Alley
          alleypat@...
          oshidori@...
          http://www.alleypat.com
          My ICQ#:12631861

          I can't think of a worse way to start a day than by waking up
        • sylvati
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
            good luck to you with your treatment. love Sylv
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
              Hi Edie,
              Thanks for the update. I don't think I've ever
              heard of jitters before, as a side effect I mean. I
              wonder if that could be from the amantadine, or just
              something that's happening because of the fatigue?
              Did your doctor say if amantadine has any side
              effects? Try sugar-free gum for the dry mouth. There
              is some brand made specifically for dry mouth (my
              dentist told me about it) but I can't remember what it
              is called. It was kind of expensive if I remember
              right, and the regular sugar-free gum seemed to work
              about as well. I'm glad that things aren't any worse,
              hopefully it will just get better now. Take care!

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Edie Rodriguez
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
                Claudine,

                Yes, the Amantadine has a long list of side effects. I got the list around
                here somewhere. If I remember right, I believe the list of side effects
                were a lot like the Ribavirin.

                I am feeling lots better this afternoon. I actually got a little housework
                done. I am so happy because I just got called for an interview for a job.

                I was wondering, do sides come and go throughout treatment, or is this
                sweating/headache/spacy/lack of energy is what I can basically expect for
                the next 11 months?

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
                  Edie,
                  Most of us only have experience with the old
                  combo and 3 times a week injections. But I would
                  think that much would be the same, and other than the
                  fatigue and depression, most of the side effects are
                  worse the first few weeks. Also, it's been reported
                  that most people who participated in studies of the
                  pegylated interferons say that while the side effects
                  were about the same, their quality of life while on
                  peg was better than while on regular interferon. So I
                  take that to mean that it must get better! So hang in
                  there! Good luck on the job interview.

                  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                • caban cirene
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 8, 2001
                    Hi EDIE
                    Recently finished a full year on Pegasyus combo, as
                    part of clinical trial study, and thought the sides
                    were A LOT less than either the old combo (w/daily
                    shots) or infergen (yes, I did the full time on both
                    those programs). Good luck, Cirene

                    --- claudine intexas <claudineintexas@...>

                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 8, 2001
                      Hi Edie
                      More on PEG/combo side effects...try doing your weekly
                      shot on Friday night...it helped me...gave me the
                      weekend to sleep it off...remember to drink LOTS of
                      water...take naps...pace yourself...schedule friends
                      and/or family to help...give each a weekly task for
                      the next 11 months...Take care, Cirene