Started Tmt, Day 4

  • Edie Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
      Hello everyone,

      I started my treatment on Friday morning by taking my 3 Ribavirin and 1 Amantadine. About an hour later, I noticed a change in the feeling of my eyes and I got kinda spacey and was real quiet all day on my temporary job. The odd feeling went away about lunch time. I then took my first interferon shot later that night and then went to bed. I didn't even feel the shot and had no problems with it, except it seemed crazy to me to be doing this "shot thing" to myself.

      On Saturday and Sunday, I experienced a really dry mouth that never went away. And I got a mild headache and continued to feel really spacey. I took it easy all weekend, but was able to do grocery shopping and go to church. I had other symptoms like sweating and some mild nausea. I had a loss of appetite all weekend, but the appetite has now returned.

      The spacey feeling is starting to subside, being replaced by the jitters and fatigue. I can hardly hold my hands up to the keyboard.

      I really expected to feel a lot sicker than this, but this is only the beginning. I drank over a gallon of water yesterday, but most days I have been drinking about a half gallon.

      I think my new motto will be, "Help, I've taken my Interferon and I can't get up!!"

      Edie

    • Lorad8@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
        Edie,
        I love your new motto.... Humor is Sooooo helpful
        Staying positive,
        Lora

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
          Edie....

          So glad to hear that it hasn't been so bad for you. Sure hope it keeps
          going this way.

          Blessings
          Tatezi

          Edie Rodriguez wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > I started my treatment on Friday morning by taking my 3 Ribavirin and
          > 1 Amantadine.

        • Alley/Pat
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
            Edie,

            hahah! I tell people to "wake up and smell the interferon!" haha

            I'm glad it's not too bad for you. Yep gotta drink that water! and try
            keeping some popsicles around too. I use hard candy or gum for that really
            dry mouth (I take decongestants too and you talk about DRY!). The sugarless
            hard candy is good to keep at your desk if you can. I also kept one of
            those microwavable packs in the ice box at work to put on my neck.

            Good luck!

            Patricia / Alley
            alleypat@...
            oshidori@...
            http://www.alleypat.com
            My ICQ#:12631861

            I can't think of a worse way to start a day than by waking up
          • sylvati
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
              good luck to you with your treatment. love Sylv

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
                Hi Edie,
                Thanks for the update. I don't think I've ever
                heard of jitters before, as a side effect I mean. I
                wonder if that could be from the amantadine, or just
                something that's happening because of the fatigue?
                Did your doctor say if amantadine has any side
                effects? Try sugar-free gum for the dry mouth. There
                is some brand made specifically for dry mouth (my
                dentist told me about it) but I can't remember what it
                is called. It was kind of expensive if I remember
                right, and the regular sugar-free gum seemed to work
                about as well. I'm glad that things aren't any worse,
                hopefully it will just get better now. Take care!

                http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
              • Edie Rodriguez
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
                  Claudine,

                  Yes, the Amantadine has a long list of side effects. I got the list around
                  here somewhere. If I remember right, I believe the list of side effects
                  were a lot like the Ribavirin.

                  I am feeling lots better this afternoon. I actually got a little housework
                  done. I am so happy because I just got called for an interview for a job.

                  I was wondering, do sides come and go throughout treatment, or is this
                  sweating/headache/spacy/lack of energy is what I can basically expect for
                  the next 11 months?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 3, 2001
                    Edie,
                    Most of us only have experience with the old
                    combo and 3 times a week injections. But I would
                    think that much would be the same, and other than the
                    fatigue and depression, most of the side effects are
                    worse the first few weeks. Also, it's been reported
                    that most people who participated in studies of the
                    pegylated interferons say that while the side effects
                    were about the same, their quality of life while on
                    peg was better than while on regular interferon. So I
                    take that to mean that it must get better! So hang in
                    there! Good luck on the job interview.

                    http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
                  • caban cirene
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 8, 2001
                      Hi EDIE
                      Recently finished a full year on Pegasyus combo, as
                      part of clinical trial study, and thought the sides
                      were A LOT less than either the old combo (w/daily
                      shots) or infergen (yes, I did the full time on both
                      those programs). Good luck, Cirene

                      --- claudine intexas <claudineintexas@...>

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 8, 2001
                        Hi Edie
                        More on PEG/combo side effects...try doing your weekly
                        shot on Friday night...it helped me...gave me the
                        weekend to sleep it off...remember to drink LOTS of
                        water...take naps...pace yourself...schedule friends
                        and/or family to help...give each a weekly task for
                        the next 11 months...Take care, Cirene