Doc appt.

  • Elin L. Criswell
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2001
      Hi Everybody!

      My husband Danny, had his appt. with the gastro doc this past Friday. He
      had had a liver biopsy in October and this was the next appointment.

      The decision that was made, was to wait for treatment. He told us that
      the new treatment had only been out for two weeks. I told him that I had
      read on this list, the opinion that maybe it isn't such a good thing to
      be "first in line" for the new treatment. His response was that the
      results of testing that the FDA and drug companies do, don't always bear
      out when the treatment reaches the general public. He let us decide. He
      said that my DH's case was really a "fence sitter" for him. It wasn't
      bad enough to make him automatically say........... let's start treatment
      now. He says we can afford to wait and that that is a good thing. Maybe
      a much improved treatment will surface by the time we all think that he
      should start treatment.

      Our next appointment is in 6 months.

      All for now.

      Elin
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2001
        --- "Elin L. Criswell" <decriswell2@...> wrote:

        > The decision that was made, was to wait for
        > treatment. ...... Maybe
        > a much improved treatment will surface by the time
        > we all think that he
        > should start treatment.

        Hi Elin,
        Well, I for one think you made a good decision.
        The Peg-Intron by itself it just not too great,
        although with ribavirin it looks ok. But that is not
        available yet. I will say this though, I think that
        what comes out this year is going to be it for a
        while. Once the Roche Pegasys is out, and the
        ribavirin unbundled, I don't see anything new
        appearing for a few years. The next new treatment
        would probably be Maxamine (to be used with
        interferon), but it is only getting started in phase
        III trials, and as slow as the FDA is ...... it could
        be a while!
        Take care,

        a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 1, 2001
          In a message dated 2/11/01 5:56:14 PM !!!First Boot!!!, decriswell2@...
          writes:

          > now. He says we can afford to wait and that that is a good thing. Maybe
          > a much improved treatment will surface by the time we all think that he
          > should start treatment.
          >
          > Our next appointment is in 6 months.

          Dear Elin, Having been through the solo Interferon and the combo..to no
          avail. I tend to agree with your doc. Keep us posted and good luck. Anne