ok...so..what about my HAIR???????!!!!!*&^%$!

  • Mzgee1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 15, 2001
      ...H E L P.........ok so now I look bad too! Bad enough i FEEL bad! I
      just got back from the mall and got my first bottles of Nioxin. Somebody
      tell me this WILL work!!!!! It seems like I had been losing hair..but it
      never made a difference cause I have (HAD!) so much...all of a sudden...it's
      THIN THIN THIN!!!!! and especially on one side! I figure that's because it's
      the side I sleep on. So bad enough it's thinning..but it's thinning
      UNEVENLY!!!! and the top of my head is still okay...I'm beginning to look
      like Pebbles from the Flinstones!!!!! This is depressing! I can take the
      yuk stomach, the puking, the pain...but i have my limits!!!!!!
      Anybody using Nioxin?? Does it help?? Did your hair return to pre-TX state??
      I'm only half-way thru TX. Thanks guys...love, mzgee

    • SnowAngelHere@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 15, 2001
        I did tx last year and have been off of it since summer. I too had tons
        of hair and lost half of it. My hair never grew back in and I don't
        mind becasue it sure is cooler when it is hot . Now I use only 2 or 3
        large bobby pins to keep it up instead of using 2 packs of them! :-)
        So I am not sure if and when it does come back. Some say there hair has
        and some hasn't. Some now have curly hair inplace of the straight , so
        my guess it's just whatever your personal makeup is.
        sorry if this doesn't do it for ya.

      • Constance Dickson
        Message 3 of 24 , Jan 15, 2001
          Hi, I did not use the shampoo because of when I found
          out about it I was already pulled from treatment. My
          hair not only fell out, but went totally straight,
          overnight. It was a year last October that I came off
          treatment, I still felt some of the sides for 6 months
          and some even now. Hair grew back in, starting at
          about 6-8 months after cessation of Combo. Do have
          some grey hair now, where before I did not. .Take
          Care, Connie
          PS I have heard the Nioxin works good.

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Mzgee1@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Jan 15, 2001
            Thanks Connie, hopefully it will work. Mine is also getting
            straighter...very weird! Hey maybe I'll be lucky and have it grow back
            without grey!!!!! Now that would be worth it! LOL! Take care, gee

          • SnowAngelHere@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 24 , Jan 15, 2001
              What is this Nixoin? Is that the right spelling? cant see the email
              while i am writing, sorry.
            • Constance Dickson
              Message 6 of 24 , Jan 15, 2001
                Nioxin is a shampoo that you can get at most Beauty
                Supply stores......Take Care, Connie

                Message 7 of 24 , Jan 15, 2001
                  Been reading all these notes on hair. I've always had thin straight hair
                  and hated it.....it's even thinner now. Maybe when this is all over and
                  done with I'll have a head full of thick, curly hair....LOL

                • jessiefromchino@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jan 15, 2001
                    I use to have long thick curly hair.It is now short and thin but not as
                    thin as it could have got. I used Nioxin a 24 oz. last 6 months. You buy
                    it at a beauty supply.
                    I have been off treatment 2 or 3 weeks fell great eating everything I
                    see. So the weight I lost found its way back.(always does) If my memory
                    gets better and I get my long curly hair back that will be nice.
                    Oh yes my eyes are so much better.
                    You feel bad for so long you for get what it is like to feel good. I am
                    soooooo grateful I feel so good.
                    God Bless All
                    Jessie

                    "Arriving at one goal is the starting point to another."
                  • Mzgee1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jan 16, 2001
                      Hi snowangel (nice name!), It's Nioxin. An all natural hair restoring
                      shampoo, conditioner and treatment. It is an alternative to Rogaine and
                      minoxidil mixtures, which can interact with combo and have side effects of
                      their own. nioxin does not interact and has not chemically based and is
                      non-alcohol based. I first read about it on the "Combo Survival Guide" site
                      by Frejia, Trishamm & Lacey. It didn't seem like I was going to need it
                      until just lately. :O(
                      Hopefully it will work. love, gee

                    • RLWINNE@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jan 17, 2001
                        Jessie

                        So glad to hear the news that you are off treatment and feeling better
                        already. Glad your eyes are getting better that is one thing my husband is
                        worried about now is his eyes. I will be so glad when he gets to the place
                        you are and can eat things again and just feel better then he has the past 17
                        months. Once more month to go and he should be off the Combo. Good health
                        to you and congratulations having finished the Combo and I know it has been a
                        long haul for you.

                        Winne
                      • Suzy Balone
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jan 18, 2001
                          Mzgee.
                          I'm using Nioxin and feel like its helping, hair does not seem like its
                          getting any thinner, but has stayed about where it seemed when I started
                          using the Nioxin. I also knew I was losing hair and wish I would have
                          started sooner, I have heard that the hair grows back when tx is stopped so
                          you will have hair again, mine is pretty thin now too am glad I had a
                          pretty good head of hair to begin with, now there is a reasone why I can't
                          do a thing with my hair. THINNInG

                          Take Care
                          Suzy

                          Message 12 of 24 , Jan 18, 2001
                            I started using Nixion a month before I started tx. I was on tx 1 year
                            been off for about 3 or 4 weeks. My hair got very thin and dry could not
                            do a thing with it. Got it cut very short I justed hated it. Being off
                            tx just 3 or 4 weeks I can tell the difference my hair is starting to
                            shine and comb better and I am us my regular shampoo. It feels so good.
                            Just hang in their.

                            LET GO LET GOD
                          • Gail Samples
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jan 18, 2001
                              ----------
                              >From: Mzgee1@...

                              Did your hair return to pre-TX state??

                              Yes, my hair came back. I cut it short and used lots of mousse while on
                              treatment. Never used the Nioxin though.

                              gail
                            • Mzgee1@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jan 19, 2001
                                Thanks Suzy! Hopefully, it won't thin any further :O).
                                I'm glad to hear you feel it has helped. that's encouraging. Thanks, gee
                              • Mzgee1@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jan 19, 2001
                                  Thanks Jessie!!!!! :O) I like the sounds of that! I thank God I had alot of hair to start..cause I'd probably be lookin' at wigs now! Take it easy, gee
                                • Mzgee1@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jan 19, 2001
                                    Oh Wonderful!!!!!!! I use lots of mousse too!! Yea so it looks like hair is there but if you hit it too hard, it caves!! LOL! gee
                                  • PSchm12958@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jan 22, 2001
                                      Hey all.....I have been a member of this group for over a year now, but I
                                      dont contribute all that much...so here goes! I am beginning to start my 3rd
                                      round of treatment (yes, THIRD)...I refuse to give up. Anyway...re the hair
                                      loss..I can tell you that the last 2 times mine really thinned about month
                                      3-4, and then changed texture. But in both cases grew back to its
                                      pre-treatment state within just a matter of months. I thought that may make
                                      some of you feel better about it..i know it was the biggest adjustment for
                                      me, despite all the other side effects. If I can help with any other
                                      questions feel free to email me. I am a critical care nurse, ad sort of
                                      understand the medical side of this illness more than most patients. Take
                                      care all..and know tht you can win! I am planning on
                                      it...........................................peggy
                                    • Suzy Balone
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jan 22, 2001
                                        Peggy,
                                        Gutsy lady, are you still working? and how do you do it, I'm in my 11 th
                                        month and son't think I will do another round but who knows when the time
                                        comes? I of course am hoping to beat this thing, nice to hear about the
                                        hair, what kind of side effects does the body get when the wbc's are at 2?
                                        any or is just your immune system depressed and you are more prone to
                                        getting sick? Thanks
                                        Suzy

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jan 22, 2001
                                          LOL...There are times I dont feel so gutsy, believe me. Actually, I got
                                          tired of fighting the buerocracy of trying to get disability, and went back
                                          to work after about 14 months off. As far as the side effects, my best
                                          advice is to find what works for YOU. For example, I found that giving the
                                          injections in my thighs hurt at the injection time worse than my belly, but
                                          giving them in my belly made the side effects kick in quicker. And I found
                                          its all a matter of timing...try and find out what YOUR timing is, and adjust
                                          your life around it if you can. For me, once the fevers were over, I didn't
                                          feel so bad, so I learned to time the tylenol or advil accordingly. And I
                                          also found, the more I could force liquids down, the less harsh the side
                                          effects were. It also helped me the most I think, to know how long those
                                          side effects were usually going to last..then I became a clock-watcher.
                                          Sometimes it drove me a little nuts, but it made it a little more surviveable.
                                          Now regarding the low white count question. Again, it is individualized
                                          to your own personal system, but here is what I found as my white count
                                          dropped.....1). I caught every little "bug" that was around me. If there was
                                          a kiddo with a snotty nose, I had it the next day. If there was a "mild"
                                          gastrointestinal bug around, for me it became awful. So I always tried to
                                          mentally prepare myself for that as well. 2). As my count dropped, I used to
                                          get this dry skin flaky area on my face. 3) I also found that my gums became
                                          sorer around the same time. 4) Little cuts and abrasions didnt heal as fast
                                          as usual on me. I guess in summary, as these things put together a picture
                                          for me, I knew what to try and avoid. Yes, the side effects sort of
                                          controlled my life, but then I always looked at it as "I did have a life to
                                          control".
                                          Now as far as going thru it for the third time....here is the
                                          conversation my GI doc and I had last week when the liver biopsy issue came
                                          up again (yes, I had a second one this week). He said...."We can always
                                          choose to wait and do nothing, since you are a non-responder" My response was
                                          this..."If you had a virus that replicated ON the only known treatment, would
                                          YOU choose to do nothing and wait and see how fast it could replicate OFF of
                                          that treatment?" His answer? "I guess not" My resonse? "That's because you
                                          are on the wrong end of the treatment this time". He said "I understand, so
                                          let's get you in the next clinical trial" I respect him, trust him
                                          implicitly, have worked with him, and have developed a great relationship
                                          with him. But sometimes you have to put things in a different perspective.
                                          So....if you friends need any morale boosters...come see me...usually if
                                          I dig deep enough I can find some. I believe that we all can do this..every
                                          single one of us. So find a smile somewhere down deep..and just believe!
                                          ~~ peggy~~
                                        • Suzy Balone
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jan 23, 2001
                                            Peggy,

                                            Thanks for the info, I guess I can understand your rationale when explained
                                            like that, at least your liver is getting a break while on treatment, or di
                                            your coun5t never go down, even while on treatment? so many variations of
                                            the dreaded disease too. Just felt really awful when my wbcs got that low,
                                            perhaps I had just picked up a bug but then my rbcs were down as well as
                                            hct, hgb so maybe just because of all that no energy , and then depression
                                            took a deeper hold on my psyche, ugh!!!
                                            better now though, thank the lord, so did you have a hard time trying to get
                                            disability? sounds like it, thats great that you are still able to work
                                            though, you work full time? Well i'm smiling and know that someday we will
                                            all be better off and maybe even cured from the txs on the horizon, thanks
                                            and hope you all have a great day
                                            or as good as we can hope for with all the side effects we put up with : )
                                            Suzy
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jan 23, 2001
                                              Thanks Peggy. Yea, it's hard when the hair starts to go. don't like looking
                                              in the mirror much. Wearing more make-up these days...but it really doesn't
                                              do it! This started to really show in 3rd. month too. Also, I know I'm
                                              isolating more as time goes on. Also sides have increased as Tx goes on,
                                              especially pain. Lately i've had a real hard time even getting it to an okay
                                              place. Probably part of it has to do with living in the NE. Lots of snow
                                              and cold this winter. I'm looking forward to Spring! (and hair growing back)
                                              take care, gee

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Feb 10, 2001
                                                On hair.........mine thinned on Interferon, alone.......and fell out
                                                completely with the addition of the ribavirin. It does come back after you
                                                quit treatment. I had lots of hair, too. Thank God. It's thinner than it
                                                was, but it amply covers my head. Since I had nothing left to work with, all
                                                this took awhile. I wore lots of hats and had my hair cut short and a wig
                                                made from the clippings. Now that it has grown back the color is darker and
                                                less red. It is fine instead of course. The good news is that most of the
                                                grey hair didn't come back. This may be heriditary. When my Mother was on
                                                chemo for ovarian cancer 20 years ago, the same thing happened to her, except
                                                for the color. Her hair is black and stayed that way. Hope this helps. Anne

                                              • Mzgee1@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Feb 11, 2001
                                                  YeS it does help, thankyou. Today my neice came to color my hair and she saw
                                                  new hair growth...YAY!!!!!! I'm hoping it doesn't grow back gray...that
                                                  would be a real blessing!!! :O) love, gee

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 1, 2001
                                                    In a message dated 2/11/01 5:07:10 PM !!!First Boot!!!, Mzgee1@... writes:

                                                    > YeS it does help, thankyou. Today my neice came to color my hair and she
                                                    > saw
                                                    > new hair growth...YAY!!!!!! I'm hoping it doesn't grow back gray...that
                                                    > would be a real blessing!!! :O) love, gee

                                                    Dear Gee, If it makes you feel any better. Most of my gray didn't come back.
                                                    Of course, not all of my hair came back either.......LOL< Anne