tyelnol and liver

  • Alley/Pat
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2001
      I'm breaking these up cuz I know some people are too tired to go read the entire article. Hope yall don't mind :)........ alley
      -------------------------------------

      article excerpt:

      http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/hivtreatmentlive/html/ts103000.html
      Consumption on the Liver
      Murray: Actually one of the common therapies used by many patients that's available over-the-counter is acetaminophen. And there was a paper from France that showed that patients taking normal therapeutic doses of acetaminophen, when they got acute hepatitis C (which is almost invariable asymptomatic) actually ended up presenting to the hospital with symptoms of acute hepatitis that may not have been obviously present had they not been on acetaminophen.

      So not only is it the kind of drugs that are being prescribed to treat HIV specifically, but common drugs such as acetaminophen, in the presence of hepatitis B and hepatitis C, just add additional insult to the liver. And there's also been quite a lot of discussion here about the effect of alcohol in patients who've got hepatitis B and hepatitis C. One of the factors that is actually manageable in patients with hepatitis B and hepatitis C is alcohol consumption and that reducing alcohol consumption often reduces liver damage in patients who have hepatitis B and hepatitis C infection.

      Alley/Pat
      alleypat@...
      DFW Liver Disease Newsletter
      http://community.dallasnews.com/dmn/dfwliver

      Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened." ---Winston Churchill