what is mitochondrial

  • Alley/Pat
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 4, 2001
      article excerpt:

      Mitochondrial Toxicity in HCV Infection

      There was probably one abstract that I thought was not related to HIV but may actually come around back again to be important. That is, there was an Irish abstract about hepatitis C causing deletions in mitochondrial DNA in actually 60 percent of the patients who had hepatitis C. That sort of supports a previous study that was published in 1999 that showed 90 percent of the people with hepatitis C had mitochondrial abnormalities.

      As most of the audience may know, one of the major issues nowadays with our long-term use of nucleoside analogs is mitochondrial toxicity. If these findings are indeed true-and now there are two studies-that hepatitis C may be injuring mitochondria and setting up the liver cells for mitochondrial toxicity and more liver toxicity of nucleoside analogs. So I think we have to be more vigilant now of both nucleoside analog liver toxicity, protease inhibitor toxicity with this new "ballooning" finding, and of course the non-nuke hepatotoxicity-whatever is really causing that. It seems to be more common in women and that would argue that it's a hypersensitivity allergic type thing.

      Alley/Pat
      alleypat@...
      DFW Liver Disease Newsletter
      http://community.dallasnews.com/dmn/dfwliver

      Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing has happened." ---Winston Churchill

    • sylvati
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2001
        erm......... This looks really interesting and I would like to understand
        it but I can't so can anyone provide an idiot's guide translation please?

        love Sylv