Re: Article on Hepatitis C

  • 2byteme@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 27, 2000
      Dear Mr. Rabb:
      In reference to the article you wrote, and that appeared in the
      11/26/00 printing, the article is of great worth in that it helps to
      educate the public about Hepatitis C, or HCV as is medically common.
      But, there are some facts that may need rewording, or removed so as not
      to become misleading based on inaccuracies.
      As of this date, there are no cures for Hepatitis C. It is caused by
      a virus, and Medical Science does not have a cure for any viruses, just
      ways to help decrease their effects. In the case of Hepatitis C, if a
      person can tolerate the medications, and if they respond, the best that
      anyone achieves is a "permanent remission". The human body, and the
      nature of the structure of the virus does not allow us to crack it's
      code and get rid of it, like a bacterial infection does. In any virus,
      the best that we can do is to have the body recognize it as a foreign
      substance and develop some immunity to that specific virus only.
      I am not looking to offer a medical lecture to your readers, but,
      I strongly believe that you are doing them a disservice by stating this
      can be cured. I believe that, for any of your reader's benefit, this
      should be clarified, and reemphasized that there is care, and the virus
      is treatable to the extent that it can be kept from multiplying and
      destroying the liver. I have treated hundreds of hepatitis patients, and
      they deserve the knowledge and truth about what the virus is, how it can
      be handled, and what is the best outcome they can achieve.
      Thank you for addressing this medical problem. Sincerely, M. Schoen,
      Ph.D., ARNP, FNP, MSN, MHA, MBA.