Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Re: Thrombocytopenia

  • ld1961@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2000
      Sue,
      depending on your doctor there is a level where they will neeed to transfuse
      to help with your platelet count, when my son was down to 13,000 they
      transfused him a few units. WHat is your level NOw? Are you bruising easy
      or do you have petechia? THats those little red blotchy rash on your skin?
      YOur platelet count may be low , but your doctor wont step in , until its
      dangeroulsy low.......
      HAng in there, its not really that serious...JUst one more thing for you to
      worry about..

      Linda
    • Susan Jackson
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 25, 2000
        Hi Linda,
        I am no where near your sons level, my platelets this month are 56, but they
        do fluctuate. My concern was for being treated for hep. The hemotologist
        thought I should be treated, because unless we improve the liver and spleen,
        things would only get worse. I am hoping my hepotologist agrees. He told
        me previously that his cut off point was 70,000. Was your son treated for
        hep? If he was did he improve?
        Thanks for your concern.
        Sue
      • ld1961@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 25, 2000
          Sue,
          so far as a family we have chosent not to treat at this point. I truthfully
          feel the options just arent there to warrant putting my son through therapy ,
          knowing chances are it will not work.
          Hes 18 disabled, he had a massive stroke at age 7,. he suffered from
          HEmolytic Uremic Syndrome. Its a blood and kideny disease. He required
          deveral weeks of transfusions of packed red blood cells, and platelets. THat
          is how he contracted hep c, some 11 yrs ago.
          Hes very frail, and I dont think he could handle the regimen of therapy
          availabel today. SO we hope and pray something new will become available in
          the years. He is seen by a heptologist and we agreee. Hes had a liver
          biopsy and is stage 2. HIs viral load is about 1 million, his LFT's are
          within the mornal range. SO for now we wait.....
          LInda best of luck