Re: Thrombocytopenia

  • Susan Jackson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2000
      Thanks for everyones input.
      I would also like to ask how many people were treated with low platelets?
      I am really hoping to be treated, and waiting between appointments drives me
      crazy. No patience, and my family would tell you, It has nothing to do with
      hep, just my personality.
      Thanks for your support.
      Sue
    • ld1961@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 25, 2000
        Sue,
        depending on your doctor there is a level where they will neeed to transfuse
        to help with your platelet count, when my son was down to 13,000 they
        transfused him a few units. WHat is your level NOw? Are you bruising easy
        or do you have petechia? THats those little red blotchy rash on your skin?
        YOur platelet count may be low , but your doctor wont step in , until its
        dangeroulsy low.......
        HAng in there, its not really that serious...JUst one more thing for you to
        worry about..

        Linda
      • Susan Jackson
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 25, 2000
          Hi Linda,
          I am no where near your sons level, my platelets this month are 56, but they
          do fluctuate. My concern was for being treated for hep. The hemotologist
          thought I should be treated, because unless we improve the liver and spleen,
          things would only get worse. I am hoping my hepotologist agrees. He told
          me previously that his cut off point was 70,000. Was your son treated for
          hep? If he was did he improve?
          Thanks for your concern.
          Sue
        • ld1961@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 25, 2000
            Sue,
            so far as a family we have chosent not to treat at this point. I truthfully
            feel the options just arent there to warrant putting my son through therapy ,
            knowing chances are it will not work.
            Hes 18 disabled, he had a massive stroke at age 7,. he suffered from
            HEmolytic Uremic Syndrome. Its a blood and kideny disease. He required
            deveral weeks of transfusions of packed red blood cells, and platelets. THat
            is how he contracted hep c, some 11 yrs ago.
            Hes very frail, and I dont think he could handle the regimen of therapy
            availabel today. SO we hope and pray something new will become available in
            the years. He is seen by a heptologist and we agreee. Hes had a liver
            biopsy and is stage 2. HIs viral load is about 1 million, his LFT's are
            within the mornal range. SO for now we wait.....
            LInda best of luck