Re:ITP

  • Susan Jackson
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 6, 2000
      Hi Connie,
      My hepatologist thinks it is a possibility. He felt the way my platelets
      dropped, 100,000 from one blood test to the next that it is not just liver
      disease. He said with cirrhosis you would expect a gradual decrease. My
      platelets had rebounded to 90,000, but are back at 47,000. New hepatologist
      and very thourough. So I am off to a hemotologist in two weeks.

      Thanks
      Sue
    • Constance Dickson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2000
        It sounds like a good possibility that you do. The
        little red spots I think are called pectiae or
        something like that. Be careful do not cut yourself.
        He has probably told you to stay away from aspirin
        products.....Take Care, Connie
        --- Susan Jackson <suejacks@...> wrote:
        > Hi Connie,
        > My hepatologist thinks it is a possibility. He felt
        > the way my platelets
        > dropped, 100,000 from one blood test to the next
        > that it is not just liver
        > disease. He said with cirrhosis you would expect a
        > gradual decrease. My
        > platelets had rebounded to 90,000, but are back at
        > 47,000. New hepatologist
        > and very thourough. So I am off to a hemotologist
        > in two weeks.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Sue

        http://photos.yahoo.com/
      • Susan Jackson
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2000
          Hi Pat,
          I don't know a lot, but since my doc thinks there is a possibility I have
          it, I started doing research. It is an auto immune disease, where the
          immune system kicks into high gear, but recognizes the platelets as the bad
          guys and destroys them. My first doc told me my low platelets were because
          of the liver disease (cirrhosis). My new doc says the way the platelets
          fell, does not indicate the low platelets is from my liver disease. He said
          that liver disease would cause a slower decrease. Mine dropped quickly. He
          is sending me to a hemotologist, and redoing ultrasound. It can also cause
          a rash, of little purple dots.
          Sue