antidepressants and hep

  • Ken & Pat @home
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 3, 2000
      <<agreeing with Marty and shaking her head yes while reading :) >>

      I never thot of myself as a depressed type of person. Never considered
      antidepressants at all till my gastro suggested them to help me sleep. At
      first my brain said.. hell no! I'm in control. I'm not a psycho freak. Who
      does he think he's talking to? I'm a mature intelligent woman in control of
      her life.... then realized... where am I? In the gastro's office.. Why?
      cause I got hep and I hurt and I'm at the end of my physical and mental
      perverbial rope trying to stay "normal" and it ain't workin.

      And wow the difference a little blue pill made! :) I slept almost all nite.
      Didn't wake up every 2 or 3 hours. Felt more refreshed mentally and
      physically. Still tired and still had hep sides, but I was totally amazed at
      the difference. Then after a while the amazement wore off and I told hubby I
      thot I'd stop the antidepressant. We had no insurance at the time (last
      summer) and it gets expensive. He says "Oh no you don't! I don't want to
      live with that other person you were when you didn't get any sleep!"

      So... heh... I stayed on em.

      alley/Patricia
      ICQ 12631861
      alleypat@...
      http://www.flash.net/~alleypat
    • David Gray @ P6 Consulting
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 4, 2000
        I was discussing the matter (via E-Mail) with my mother who is looking
        after my chronically ill father. She suggested that it seems logical to her
        that depression would accompany any serious, chronic illness. The reason
        she said so is that I told her that Dr. Weinstein had asked me, almost out
        of the blue, if I was depressed. I know the symptoms and said yes. Though
        mine is a little yellow pill because I know from past and family history
        that they work, I agree, it's making a difference!

        David Gray
        HBV/Cirrhosis
        Irving, Texas

      • Ken & Pat @home
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 4, 2000
          David.. good to hear from ya!

          Yeah.. just so frustrating. I'm used to doing a lot of creative things.
          Now... I just think about doing them. I do the ones that don't sap my energy
          cause I gotta save that for work. As I'm sure is true of all heppers, I used
          to be so busy! I joined clubs, stayed out all nite on weekends with the
          astronomy club, did my weekly critique writing group on wed nites, wrote
          after work till the wee hours of the morning, kept my house spotless,
          visited my friends and family, slowly but steadily working toward a degree,
          etc etc...

          Today is shot day! :)

          Now I just stay out of the heat!

          Someone told me that back in the "old days", (I'm paraphrasing excuse me)
          people with porphyria (sp?) didn't know not to stay out of the sun. They'd
          work their fields or whatever. And finally got so bad and painful they had
          to stay indoors and only came out at nite. This supposedly is where the
          "werewolf" legend started.

          He also told me that 20% (?) of heppers get porphyria.. 100% people with
          porphyria have hep.

          alley/Patricia
          ICQ 12631861
          alleypat@...
          http://www.flash.net/~alleypat
        • RLWINNE@cs.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 5, 2000

            Your facts are right about the prophyria - my husband went from a
            construction worker out in the sun all day to a night person on the combo
            because of the HepC and the porphyria from the Hep C. He is not happy about
            the changes of course. They say once the porphyria is under control you can
            get back out in the sun but the people with PCT that I have talked to say
            differently and have had it for years. We shall see one day I hope.

            Winne