Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Get the Show on the Road

  • Ken & Pat @home
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 1, 2000
      Lora.... I'd call the pharmacy manager and complain and expect your extra 2
      weeks supply to be covered for that $15 you already paid. Use your power to
      COMPLAIN LOUDLY and make a difference :) Who knows when the next hepper
      might thank you for it :)

      I used to do my shot at nite. Cause everyone telling me how awful the sides
      were. However, I feel much better doing treatment than I did with the hep
      sides I had before!! No more joint pain and no more muscle aches.

      I've moved my shot to the am now, cause after 3 months buildup in my system,
      it acts like a stimulant and why not sue that to my advantage? haha since my
      doc recommends as little caffeine as possible.

      My pharmacy part of my insurance is covered by Caremark. I pay $15 brand
      name/$5 generic for a months worth of meds (not the combo) at any pharmacy
      or I can have 3 months worth of a prescription mailed to them to be shipped
      to me for $15 (for name brand), $5 for generic.

      Now the combo is sent FedEx directly from the Caremark supplier. I get 3
      months of combo for $15.

      Some insurances allow you to get 3 months if you have the script mailed to
      them and they can mail it to you. Check out yours and see if they do.

      You never know what your sides will be, and they will change over time. My
      doc recommended taking ibuprofen or tylenol about 30 minutes before and take
      as needed. I never needed it, but many others do. Your doctor will help you
      (or should) with any sides you may experience.

      I hope you are on a good anti - depressant prior to beginning treatment!
      Interferon is a known depressant. It screws with your brain chemistry. And
      antidepressants usually take at least a few weeks to kick in fully (and you
      can't just stop them immediately.. they must be weaned off)

      I began taking Zoloft and wow did I notice that I immediately slept much
      better, and had more energy as a result! But it made me feel kinda dull, so
      I tried Celexa. It wasn't for me, so now I'm on Effexor XR and it seems to
      be just the right one for me. Sometimes it takes trying several to find the
      right "fit".

      Good luck! And let us know how it goes

      alley/Patricia
      ICQ 12631861
      alleypat@...
      http://www.flash.net/~alleypat
    • Ken & Pat @home
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2000
        Oh and another good piece of advice my doc gave me...

        Do your first injection on like a Friday, or Friday nite or Saturday if you
        can. At least when you can anticipate some time off work in case you do
        experience side effects. But then again.. there's no guarantee you'll feel
        anything :)

        alley/Patricia
        ICQ 12631861
        alleypat@...
        http://www.flash.net/~alleypat
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 2, 2000
          --- "Ken & Pat @home" <alleypat@...> wrote:
          > Oh and another good piece of advice my doc gave
          > me...
          > Do your first injection on like a Friday, or Friday
          > nite or Saturday if you
          > can. At least when you can anticipate some time off
          > work in case you do
          > experience side effects.

          Better yet, if you have any sick days or vacation days
          coming using a few of them that first week might be a
          good idea. If you work for a really
          easy-to-get-along-with boss who is flexible you might
          be able to just plan to take time off only if you need
          to, but if you must ask in advance for time off then
          that first week is often a rough time. The first few
          weeks can be kind of rough. It's too bad you can't
          tell in advance how it will affect you!

          =====
          Claudine
          claudinecrews@...

          http://mail.yahoo.com/
        • Lorad8@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 2, 2000
            I like all the job related tips! Unfortunately, or maybe it is FORTUNATELY,
            I am currently unemployed. Lost my job soon after I was diagnosed. I did
            day care, and the parents kind of panicked. Anyway, my hubsand is working
            and has insurance, so at least that is covered. However, except for driving
            my two teenagers all over the universe, I do not have any job commitments.
            For this, right now, I am grateful.

            6 more days........:)
            peace, lora
          • Lorad8@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 2, 2000
              I did call the pharmacy, and they called me back last night and said that the
              "rest" of my month's perscription has been ordered and I can pick it up on
              Tuesday, at NO CHARGE! Well, duh, I hope so! :) I thought I was supposed to
              get a video and ice bag or something with my perscription. Is that right, or
              am I in a total mind warp???

              My doctor said he does not put people on anti-depressants just "because it
              might happen". However, he did tell me that if I need them AFTER I start
              treatment to let him know and he will perscribe.

              It seems that most everyone recommends Ibuprofin for the muscle aches and
              pains. I am on a blood thinner (coumadin) and cannot take anti-inflamatory
              drugs. Any one have a good alternative for me????

              Again, thanks for all your support.
              lora
            • Ken & Pat @home
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 2, 2000
                <<My doctor said he does not put people on anti-depressants just "because it
                might happen". However, he did tell me that if I need them AFTER I start
                treatment to let him know and he will perscribe.>>

                ok here's my uneducated opinon...

                STOOOPID DOC!!!

                It takes WEEKS for antidepressants to fully kick in. On combo you go postal
                in SECONDS.

                What do you do in the interim? Ask him that!

                I got my "kit" (video and bag etc) when I went to the training class.

                Well, I guess Tylenol might work. Maybe some herbal tea? I'm sure someone on
                here has some good advice for that one :)

                alley/Patricia
                ICQ 12631861
                alleypat@...
                http://www.flash.net/~alleypat
              • Pat Post
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 2, 2000
                  Hi Lora, I can relate to your anticipation. I was diagnosed 12-99 and
                  decided to wait till the Pegalated TX becomes available, which I had heard
                  would be around 12-00. How did your biopsy come out? Was there any
                  fibrosis or worse? Is that why you are anxious to start the treatment? I
                  too am worried a bit about insurance, seems like if something can get
                  screwed up with the process it will. Hang in there and keep us posted, this
                  list has been very helpful for info and support. Take care, good luck with
                  your first shot. Pat P.

                  http://profiles.msn.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 2, 2000
                    --- Lorad8@... wrote:

                    > It seems that most everyone recommends Ibuprofin for
                    > the muscle aches and
                    > pains. I am on a blood thinner (coumadin) and
                    > cannot take anti-inflamatory
                    > drugs. Any one have a good alternative for me????

                    Dear Lora,
                    You really shouldn't take ibuprofen anyway,
                    especially on a regular basis since there have been
                    cases of it causing flare-ups of hepatitis in people
                    with hepatitis C.
                    Try Tylenol. You can safely take up to 3 grams
                    daily. (2 extra-strength every 8 hours.) If that
                    doesn't work ask your doctor for Vicodin. That seems
                    to work real well, especially for the headaches
                    associated with treatment.
                    Good luck!

                    =====
                    Claudine
                    claudinecrews@...

                    http://mail.yahoo.com/
                  • Lorad8@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 3, 2000
                      Pat, yes, the biopsy showed fibrosis. There was scarring and also, and the
                      whole biopsy showed possible cirhosis. I feel that I need to be doing
                      SOMETHING, especially since I am currently unemployed. Now seemed like the
                      perfect time--if there EVER is a perfect time:)
                      staying positive, lora