Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] HCV Trivia

  • Paul Luketich
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2000
      I'm going to see my second MD on the 17th. I fired the first after finding
      out he had serious problems communicating. I have been assembling info to
      help aid in my decisions. I don't know my genotype but my pcr was 189,000
      and my ALT was 62,AST 36. The rest of the workup should determine whether to
      treat now or not. The whole 3x per week or daily dosing is confusing. The
      rational for 3x per week seems to be to allow you to recouperate but so does
      the virus.
      With a short life, daily or 3x per week wouldn't matter would it?
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2000
        --- Paul Luketich <lukas42@...> wrote:
        > With a short life, daily or 3x per week wouldn't
        > matter would it?
        Dear Paul,
        Yes, it does matter! As for why it matters, you
        really answered that yourself:
        The
        > rational for 3x per week seems to be to allow you to
        > recuperate but so does
        > the virus.
        And the virus recuperates VERY fast! The
        interferon wears off in 24 hours or less. Within 24
        more hours the virus can be right back up to
        pre-injection level. However, with a second injection
        24 hours after the first this can be prevented or
        greatly reduced. 3 times a week dosing is ok for a
        few, but for most it is not effective. As for side
        effects, every person I've heard from who has done
        both says that the daily is easier than 3 times a
        week. You do not have the ups and downs like you do
        with the 3 times a week. However, all this info
        probably does you no good because it is just about
        impossible to find a doctor willing to prescribe daily
        dosing if that was the way you wanted to go. The
        pegylated interferons are the answer to this problem,
        since they will do with one injection per week what
        daily dosing would have done. (You didn't expect the
        drug companies to ever admit they got the "3 times a
        week" dosing schedule wrong, did you? No, just come
        out with a NEW drug to sell!)
        Claudine

        =====
        Claudine