Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] HCV Trivia

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4 9:16 PM
      --- Paul Luketich <lukas42@...> wrote:
      > Did it mention the length of the life cycle?

      Dear Paul,
      This particular article did not mention the life
      span of the virus, but I looked through a couple of
      other articles and one of them said it had "an in vivo
      half-life of the virus in the order of a few hours",
      and another said the HCV virus had a maximum half life
      of 7 hours. It seems like I remember reading 3 - 4
      hours in some other article. Both of the articles I
      looked at just now compared HCV's short half-life and
      rapid multiplication to the HIV virus. Understanding
      how quickly this virus can recuperate and multiply,
      and how short of a time that interferon lasts in your
      system (under 24 hours) helps explain why daily dosing
      is more effective than 3 times a week.
      It is also a VERY weird feeling thinking of all
      the 'activity' going on in my liver!
      Claudine

      =====
      Claudine
      claudinecrews@...

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
    • Paul Luketich
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4 9:46 PM
        I'm going to see my second MD on the 17th. I fired the first after finding
        out he had serious problems communicating. I have been assembling info to
        help aid in my decisions. I don't know my genotype but my pcr was 189,000
        and my ALT was 62,AST 36. The rest of the workup should determine whether to
        treat now or not. The whole 3x per week or daily dosing is confusing. The
        rational for 3x per week seems to be to allow you to recouperate but so does
        the virus.
        With a short life, daily or 3x per week wouldn't matter would it?

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 4 10:01 PM
          --- Paul Luketich <lukas42@...> wrote:
          > With a short life, daily or 3x per week wouldn't
          > matter would it?
          Dear Paul,
          Yes, it does matter! As for why it matters, you
          really answered that yourself:
          The
          > rational for 3x per week seems to be to allow you to
          > recuperate but so does
          > the virus.
          And the virus recuperates VERY fast! The
          interferon wears off in 24 hours or less. Within 24
          more hours the virus can be right back up to
          pre-injection level. However, with a second injection
          24 hours after the first this can be prevented or
          greatly reduced. 3 times a week dosing is ok for a
          few, but for most it is not effective. As for side
          effects, every person I've heard from who has done
          both says that the daily is easier than 3 times a
          week. You do not have the ups and downs like you do
          with the 3 times a week. However, all this info
          probably does you no good because it is just about
          impossible to find a doctor willing to prescribe daily
          dosing if that was the way you wanted to go. The
          pegylated interferons are the answer to this problem,
          since they will do with one injection per week what
          daily dosing would have done. (You didn't expect the
          drug companies to ever admit they got the "3 times a
          week" dosing schedule wrong, did you? No, just come
          out with a NEW drug to sell!)
          Claudine

          =====
          Claudine