Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Digest Number 236

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2 11:50 AM
      --- Suzy Balone <suzybalone@...> wrote:
      > I am 1 b will send you the results of the lab work
      > later, may have to
      > convince my GI doc of going 48 weeks however.

      Dear Suzy,
      Are you PCR undetectable? If so, I can't believe
      any doctor would want to stop you, a 1b, at 24 weeks!
      That would only lead to relapse. If this is the
      situation, there is a lot of literature that clearly
      states that genotype 1b's should do 48 weeks. If you
      are NOT undetectable, then it is pointless to continue
      treatment unless your only goal is to improve the
      condition of your liver. If that is your goal you
      might want to talk to your doctor about that, and
      discontinue the ribavirin, since it is the interferon
      helping the liver. There is also literature supporting
      this thought.
      If you are not undetectable by now, the chance of
      becoming undetectable following the same treatment
      protocol you are on now is very, very slim. I hate
      saying that, but it is the truth. I know, I've been
      there myself, and being a 'non-responder' myself, I
      read everything I can get my hands on that even
      remotely pertains to non-responders, and genotype 1b.
      A more aggressive approach and a change to another
      interferon MIGHT help, such as daily high dosing with
      Infergen. Or, what I plan on, waiting for the Roche
      version of pegylated interferon.
      I sure hope that I wrote all that for nothing and
      you are really undetectable!!!
      Take care

      =====
      Claudine
      claudinecrews@...

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
    • Dee Dee Taylor
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 6 12:39 PM
        Hi Marty and All,
        Staying positive and putting the past into the past isn't easy when the
        first question that comes out of people's mouths when you disclose you have
        hcv is "How did you get it?" I share in Scott Foxes anger and frustration
        on this whole thing. I appreciate your comments and all the advise I've
        received.......Dee Dee

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 6 1:47 PM
          Dee Dee

          My husband shares your frustration about the same question how did you get
          it? He also donated blood not knowing if he had the Hep C at the time. He
          and his dad donated blood every month from the age of 16 years old until he
          was 28 and he is 41 now. He has found a way to live with it now but felt
          really guilty about maybe passing it on that way not knowing he had it since
          we do not know how long he has had it. He hadn't given blood since they
          started the testing they do on the blood when in 89 or 92 I can't remember
          the year now. Who cares how you got it - the main issue is to take care of
          it now the best you can. I know it is easy for me to say but you are under
          enough stress to add that one to it and stress is one of the worse things for
          this disease. Stay potitive!!

          Winne