Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Heterosexual transmission of hepatitis C, hepatitis B, and HIV-1 in a sample of inner city women

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2000
      Doc,
      I have read this a couple of times now and I must
      be missing something. This study states:

      > RESULTS: The prevalence of HCV was 1.6%, compared
      with 2.0% for HIV-1 and 18.8% for HBV; 75% of women
      infected with HCV were also infected with HIV-1 or HBV
      (P < 0.001). Women engaging in very high-risk sexual
      behavior were 14.2 times more likely to have HCV than
      other women (95% CI, 1.8-642.5).

      Doesn't the CDC (or NIH, someone?) estimate that
      the prevalence of HCV in the general population is
      1.8%? So how would this be 14.2% higher than other
      women? Am I reading this completely wrong?
      Claudine

      =====
      Claudine
      claudinecrews@...

      http://invites.yahoo.com/
    • Doc
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
        Claudine,
        I dont have the full paper to make an assessment of the statistical methodology.
        Overall prevalence appears to be close to one in general population in US, this however may reflect
        a subgroup within these women who have HCV with a co-infection of HBV/HIV.