congrats winne and hubby

  • WebMistress Gina
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29 6:06 AM
      Hi,
      I wanted to congratulate you both on getting through the system and getting
      the help you
      need! Thanks for sharing your success story so that if the time comes for me to
      do this, I won't go in with a negative attitude and will get as many
      letters on my behalf
      as I can. I'm still not sure of my doctor yet--we're new to each other, so
      I am giving it
      a couple more months to see where I am with it then and how he feels about it.
      I want to get a handicap plate for my car--everyone thinks I'm nuts. You aren't
      crippled they say. But in reality there are many situations where I have to
      avoid them
      because of the walk involved. One example was July 4th fireworks was held
      on the
      waterfront in Portland. Well they closed the 6 blocks up to the event, and
      cops were
      monitoring traffic. There was no way I could walk up the hill so hubby
      drove up and
      told the cop I was handicapped and could not walk and we'd miss the show unless
      they let him drive me up the hill. The cop let us go through. Since then
      there have been
      situations like this, even just going to the grocery store and not being
      able to get a space
      close enough, I have to leave. Hubby does most of the driving now as well.

      I have alot of problems with walking, I limp after only a few steps, have
      to rest quite
      a bit, etc. But then there's the emotional component of asking for a handicap
      plate. It admits defeat. I'm 36, I drive a sporty 5-speed car. I "look"
      fine. It's
      hard for me to give up that image.

      Anyone else go through this?
      Hugs,
      Gina

      >From: RLWINNE@...
      >Subject: Disibility
      >

      >Just want the group to know that you can get disibility. My husband had his
      >hearing with the Social Security Judge today and he was approved in 5 minutes
      >and on his way out the door. He is getting back pay from Sept 1st 1999 when
      >he could not work any more once starting the Combo - we did not use a lawyer.
      > It was amazing. We had family and friends write letters who knew him
      > before
      >the treatment and once starting the combo. We had a letter from the doctor
      >to and I wrote a letter also. The Judge asked us under oath if all of it was
      >accurate and said that he was able to read well and see real well and
      >approved him and acted like it should have been done sooner. I had just got
      >my husband settled in a chair and hadn't even got sat down yet when he
      >announced it. We were very happy after all the horror stories we have
      >heard. The Judge said he would put him up for review in a year instead of 6
      >months like they usually do. This will relieve some of the stress my husband
      >has been under worrying about that so maybe now he can concentrate on beating
      >this disease again now that things are starting to go his way.
      >

      >Hope everyone is doing well and you are all in our prayers. Stay Positive!!
      >

      >Winne
    • WebMistress Gina
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2000
        Hi,
        It's great that he can drive and that zoloft is helping, makes me
        wonder if I should try that since my memory loss is one of my
        most aggravating and humiliating symptoms. Yet I always forget to
        add it to my list of symptoms! On my new pain/symptom diary
        form I do list fibro fog as a symptom that I track and I number it 1-10
        as to how bad or good it is daily, that helps me remember to
        track it. Some days are better than others but in the last month it hasn't gone
        below a 4 on a 1-10 scale. It hasn't ever been a 10 either, thank God.

        I haven't gone to do the plates yet. I need to get the forms before I
        see my doctor next as I believe he has to sign them for me. I'm not
        sure if he will consider me disabled enough to qualify--of course he
        doesn't live in my body but he figures I can get to his office without
        a cane or wheel chair, I must be ok. At least that's how I think he would
        see it. Sometimes I wish a doctor could SEE me 24/7 to know exactly
        what I am going through. If I could I'd hire a video guy to just sit with
        me and film my daily life. Wouldn't that be a hoot to hand it to a
        doctor? LOL

        I walk a fine line with my pcp doc as he doesn't want me doing hcv tx
        if it's going to make me worse, so I minimize it to him because I don't
        want him interfering in my life and death decisions. Once on Tx I will
        feel safer about him interfering (don't ask me why) and hope to get his
        help if I need it for disability and handicap plates and the like.

        Anyway, glad things are finally working out in your favor. Gives me hope
        that someday it will all finally come together for me as well.
        Hugs,
        Gina