Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] supplements

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 25, 2000
      --- CHARLEY118@... wrote:
      > Hi
      > Could someone tell me if selenium is bad for the
      > liver.

      Dear Charley,
      I am also a genotype 1b non-responder.
      I haven't heard any thing specific about selenium
      being harmful to the liver, but probably anything
      taken in too large of a dose has that potential. I
      have seen two different articles on the use selenium
      as an antioxident in HCV. One article had it combined
      with interferon, NAC, and Vit. E, and the other with
      alpha-lipoic acid and milk thistle. Both used 400mcg
      daily, in 2 divided doses of 200mcg. each, so I would
      think that at least up to that dose would be ok. Here
      is some info on selenium:

      Selenium

      Selenium is a trace mineral. Major dietary sources of
      Selenium include fish, shellfish, red meat, grains
      (depending on soil content), eggs, garlic and liver.

      Major Body Functions:

      Prevents oxidation of unsaturated fatty acids
      Helps with proper function of the heart
      Needed for proper immune function

      Deficiency Symptoms:

      Muscular discomfort and weakness
      Cardiomyopathy

      Excessive Intake and Toxicity Symptoms:

      Nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea
      Peripheral neuropathy, fatigue and irritability

      =====
      Claudine
      claudinecrews@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • CHARLEY118@webtv.net
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 25, 2000
        Claudine thank for the info .I think i will stop the selenium after
        this jar gone, and see if i have less fatigue since that one of the
        sides effects i have plenty all ready charley
      • Gil & Edie Rodriguez
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 25, 2000
          Has anyone has trouble taking Milk Thistle? I seem to get sick on it. I
          tried it for 2 weeks and felt so bad I had to stop. I have tried to get
          going on it again, but as soon as I start taking it (about 2 days), I start
          to loose energy and get the "blahs".

          As soon as I stop taking it, I feel fine again. I was taking 225 mg, twice
          daily with meals.

          Should I continue to take it? Is there something going on inside that is
          either good or bad with this kind of reaction?

          Edie

        • CHARLEY118@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 25, 2000
            EDIE maybe you could try cutting down your dose and drink green tea. i
            personally had no problem
          • Suzy Balone
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1 7:42 AM
              Charley,

              Hi i was wondering if when you were on treatment if your viral load
              decreased? i am also a 1b know that it tis hard to treat , am going into
              my 6 month, and just was wondering, dont know yet if my doc is planning on
              the 48 weks or not
              Thanks
              Suzy

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1 8:59 PM
                Suzy
                When i started treatment [combo] iwas over 5mil after 3 month was 1mil
                6month 600.000 was not texted at 9month 12month back up over 5mil
                Charley
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 2 12:04 PM
                  --- CHARLEY118@... wrote:
                  > When i started treatment [combo] iwas over 5mil
                  > after 3 month was 1mil
                  > 6month 600.000 was not texted at 9month 12month back
                  > up over 5mil
                  > Charley
                  Dear Charley,
                  Sounds familiar! My pretreatment viral load was
                  110,000, then viral load dropped to 35,000 at week
                  four, then slowly began climbing right back up! Went
                  on high dose, dropped a little, then right back up
                  again. We are true non-responders, sorry to say! Are
                  you genotype 1b also?
                  Claudine

                  =====
                  Claudine
                  claudinecrews@...

                  http://invites.yahoo.com/
                • CHARLEY118@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 2 4:00 PM
                    Ciaudine
                    I am also 1b
                    Charley
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 2 4:25 PM
                      --- CHARLEY118@... wrote:
                      > I am also 1b
                      > Charley

                      Yea, I had a feeling you were!
                      Claudine

                      =====
                      Claudine
                      claudinecrews@...

                      http://invites.yahoo.com/
                    • rep@pacinter.net
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 2 11:36 PM
                        Claudine,
                        Did your Liver enzymes drop during treatment, and if so did they normalize
                        and remain there during the balance of your treatment?
                        Bob

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 3 6:34 AM
                          --- rep@... wrote:
                          > Claudine,
                          > Did your Liver enzymes drop during treatment, and if
                          > so did they normalize
                          > and remain there during the balance of your
                          > treatment?
                          > Bob

                          Dear Bob,
                          Yes, they did go to normal a month or two into
                          treatment, and they stayed that way the whole time.
                          (Not real low, but about half or less of what they
                          were prior to treatment.) That was the one good thing
                          about that year (53 weeks), I feel like my liver got a
                          break! However, by about 2 or 3 months after I
                          stopped they were back up again, with my ALT in the
                          80's. I did not have another PCR done for 10 months,
                          and I realize now it must have been very high (for me)
                          probably within a few weeks of quitting the treatment.
                          My PCR was 50,000 when I quit, and at ten months it
                          was 806,000. At 11 months it was 440,000. In June it
                          was down to 190,000, so it is finally back down to
                          about my pre-treatment levels. My ALT was 80. I
                          think everything is stable for now.
                          Claudine

                          =====
                          Claudine