Memory loss

  • isqazi@txcr.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 18, 2000
      I have been diagnosed with liver disease secondary to cryptogenic cirrhosis. I have had the ascites and hepatic encephalopathy. I have been quite concerned with the confusion, forgetfulness and the memory loss. I take diuretics, lactulose, neomycin, magnesium, multivitamins, folic acid, and a calcium supplement. I had at first thought the lactulose and neomycin would totally take care of all the memory loss and forgetfulness. I have to constantly adjust the lactulose. I worry because of my sweet 8 year old son and 11 year old multihandicapped cerebral palsy daughter. Since my daughter is on seizure medications and other medications, they can't be forgotten to give to her. I am thankful for my parents helping me. I just wonder if the forgetfulness, memory loss and confusion ever be totally controlled. I am listed for a transplant and hope that things will be normal again. It just hurts to know that someone now has to take care of my children and me. I want to be my children's Mother again. I sometimes feel like a failure. I read the e-mail sent to me by this group and pray for you daily.
      God Bless and Take Care,
      Virginia
    • Imtiaz Qazi
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 23, 2000
        I love water, but I am fluid restricted. I can only have 1500cc of liquid a
        day. I am taking diuretics. I had alot of swelling in my legs and feet and
        ascites(fluid in abdominal cavity). I am at the end stages of this liver
        disease. I hate having this cryptogenic cirrhosis. I am one of those that
        they just don't know what caused the liver damage. I am going to be fine.
        My children give me lots of strength. My little 11 year old multihandicapped
        cerebral palsy is a fighter. If she can be happy and content, then I should
        be too. My 8 year old son is always telling me that he prayed and God would
        make me a new liver. I thought that was so precious. I thought I let you
        know that they both had their birthday today (Jan. 23rd). Hope I didn't
        bore you, but I love my little ones. Thank you for you kindness and being
        there.

        Take care and God bless,
        Your in my prayers,
        Virginia

      • Curlykew
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 23, 2000

          =====
          My message to you: Don't worry, be happy!!
          Love to hear from YOU!
          Dawn
          http://im.yahoo.com
        • Wendy
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 23, 2000
            > > From: Curlykew <curlykew12@...>
            > >
            > > I'm not a doctor, nor do i have good
            > > communications with my GI, but i did have that
            > > memory stuff. I called it "swimmy head" . Trouble
            > > concentrating. But just recently did realize I
            > > haven'g felt that way in a long time. Not sure
            > > why but did start drinking lots and lots of water
            > > and started the combo treatment.

            Hi list,
            As a 53 year old female who has had HCV for nearly 30 years, I have some
            experience with memory loss and "brain fog". It surprised me to discover
            that stress has a great deal to do with how the mind copes & remembers. Once
            I was diagnosed in Feb.99 I could take steps to control my health. Reducing
            stress as much as possible helps. I take Coenzyme Q10, 60 mg daily. It is
            said to enhance tissue oxygenation & counteract immunosuppression.Anything
            that you can do to enhance general health & well being will help the body
            function as best it can.Consulting with your doctor,naturopath etc. on how
            to achieve this is always advisable.Then hopefully the brain & immune system
            can do their job & keep us going.
            Wendy
            wmm@...
            BC. Canada
          • Curlykew
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 24, 2000
              Shoot!! I think i am getting more and more
              frustrated...i have been drinking water
              ..alot...but i have the swelling in feet and legs
              and of late i suspect in abdomen and liver side
              feeling pain where didnt before. Maybe i am doing
              things all wrong...i think i am going to give
              someone a call here on Monday ...doctor/nurse
              whoever will answer my call and set up
              appointment to discuss all questions i have...i
              have one set up already but isnt til end of feb
              to ck on progress of the combo...started it in
              November and then not sceduled for a follow upp
              with GI til end of Feb...more i think about it i
              may have to find anohter doctor even is from out
              of town..thanks for listening to my ranting
              ...and virginia...it is our kids that do keep us
              going many times...just wish could get dau to
              understand how i am feeling...she was kind of
              brainwashed by my hus...soon to be ex...that i am
              just faking most of this...he believes different
              now but damage was done with dau and is at
              difficult age...12..and think she may just be in
              denial too...anyway ...i have had trouble keeping
              up with all the email but it is great infoo from
              people that count...those fellow survivors...yes,
              survivors ....LOL
              Dawn

            • MGoo500300@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 24, 2000
                In a message dated 01/24/2000 4:47:02 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                curlykew12@... writes:

                << it is our kids that do keep us
                going many times...just wish could get dau to
                understand how i am feeling...she was kind of
                brainwashed by my hus...soon to be ex...that i am
                just faking most of this...he believes different
                now but damage was done with dau and is at

                Dawn,

                I have a letter than a dear friend sent me about a year ago that possibly you
                could print and give to your daughter and ex and anyone else who thinks you
                are faking.

                http://www.tiac.net/users/birdlady/let_norm.html

                Letter to People Without Hepatitis

                Having Hepatitis means many things change, and a lot of them are invisible.
                Unlike having cancer or being hurt in an accident, most people do not
                understand even a little about HCV and its effects, and of those that think
                they know, many are actually mis-informed. In the spirit of informing those
                who wish to understand ... These are the things that I would like you to
                understand about me before you judge me... Please understand that being sick

                doesn't mean I'm not still a human being. I have to spend most of my day in
                considerable pain and exhaustion, and if you visit I probably don't seem
                like
                much fun to be with, but I'm still me stuck inside this body. I still worry
                about life and work and my family and friends, and most of the time I'd
                still
                like to hear you talk about yours too.
                Please understand the difference between "happy" and "healthy". When
                you've got the flu you probably feel miserable with it, but I've been sick
                for years. I can't be miserable all the time, in fact I work hard at not
                being miserable. So if you're talking to me and I sound happy, it means I'm
                happy. That's all. It doesn't mean that I'm not in a lot of pain, or
                extremely tired, or that I'm getting better, or any of those things. Please,
                don't say, "Oh, you're sounding better!". I am not sounding better, I am
                sounding happy. If you want to comment on that, you're welcome.

                Please understand that being able to stand up for ten minutes, doesn't
                necessarily mean that I can stand up for twenty minutes, or an hour. And,
                just because I managed to stand up for thirty minutes yesterday doesn't mean
                that I can do the same today. With a lot of diseases you're either paralyzed,
                or you can move. With this one it gets more confusing.

                Please repeat the above paragraph substituting, "sitting", "walking",
                "thinking", "being sociable" and so on ... it applies to everything. That's
                what Hepatitis does to you. Please understand that HCV or HBV is variable.
                It's quite possible (for me, it's common) that one day I am able to walk to
                the park and back, while the
                next day I'll have trouble getting to the kitchen. Please don't attack me
                when I'm ill by saying, "But you did it before!", if you want me to do
                something then ask if I can. In a similar vein, I may need to cancel an
                invitation at the last minute, if this happens please do not take it
                personally. Please understand that "getting out and doing things" does not
                make me feel better. Telling me that I need a treadmill, or that I just need
                to loose (or gain)weight, get this exercise machine, join this gym, try these
                classes... may frustrate me to tears, and is not correct... if I was capable
                of doing these things, don't you know that I would? I am working with my
                doctor and physical therapist and am already doing the excercise and diet
                that I am suppose to do. Another statement that hurts is, "You just need to
                push yourself more, exercise harder..." Obviously HCV deals directly with
                muscles, and because our muscles don't repair themselves the way your muscles
                do, this does far more damage than good and could result in recovery time in
                days or weeks or months from a single activity. Also, Hepatitis may cause
                secondary depression (wouldn't you get depressed if you were hurting and
                exhausted for years on end!?) but it is not created by depression. Please
                understand that if I say I have to sit down/lie down/take these pills now,
                that I do have to do it right now - it can't be put off or forgotten just
                because I'm out for the day (or whatever). Hepatitis does not forgive.

                If you want to suggest a cure to me, don't. It's not because I don't
                appreciate the thought, and it's not because I don't want to get well. It's
                because I have had almost every single one of my friends suggest one at one
                point or another. At first I tried them all, but then I realized that I was
                using up so much energy trying things that I was making myself sicker, not
                better. If there was something that cured, or even helped, all people with
                Hepaititis then we'd know about it. This is
                not a drug-company conspiracy, there is worldwide networking (both on and
                off the Internet) between people with Hepatitis if something worked we would
                KNOW.

                If after reading that, you still want to suggest a cure, then do it, but
                don't expect me to rush out and try it. I'll take what you said and discuss
                it with my doctor.

                In many ways I depend on you - people who are not sick - I need you to visit
                me when I am too sick to go out... Sometimes I need you help me with the
                shopping, cooking or cleaning. I may need you to take me to the doctor, or to
                the physical therapist. I need you on a different level too ... you're my
                link to the outsideworld... if you don't come to visit me, then I
                might not get to see you... and, as much as it's possible, I need you to
                understand me.

                Authored by Bek Oberin

                Hope this helps.

                Love,
                Peggy
              • Brendagoez@aol.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 24, 2000
                  Dear Peggy,
                  I read that letter once before and forwarded it to all my friends and
                  family. I think it was very well stated. Thank you for sharing it again.
                  Love,
                  Bren
                • alley/Patricia
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 27, 2000
                    That is an excellent letter and I found one just like it (or the same one
                    forgot hey I'm a hepper! haha) and sent it to family and friends. Slowly my
                    sisters are learning about hep. I don't send them a lot of technical stuff.
                    But a letter like that... or something with a real personal or personable
                    story I do send them to read. My sis had a hard time understanding why I
                    didn't just "pop" over to her house (an hour and a half drive one way, lotsa
                    Dallas traffic between us) and visit on the weekends. Now she understands a
                    bit more. It takes time. Be patient with family and friends :)

                    alley/Patricia
                    ICQ 12631861
                    alleypat@... <mailto:alleypat@...>
                    http://micromagic.net/~alleypat/liver
                  • Mzgee1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 28, 2000
                      You know..........your note really touched me. I have rec'd in my email the
                      most beautiful message about 'mothers'. I would LOve to send it to you. My
                      email is mzgee1@... if you want u can send me yours and I will get
                      it out to you. Sending a pray heavenward for you and your children. much
                      love, gail
                    • Dee Dee Taylor
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 29, 2000
                        Hi Wendy,
                        After reading so much about memory loss here I'm wondering if my memory-loss
                        and swimmy-headedness isn't a symptom of HCV. I've been having alot of it
                        lately. Are you on any treatment for your HCV or are you just treating it
                        yourself and through a naturopath? I havn't started treatment yet. I also
                        assume I contracted some 30yrs. ago. Dee Dee

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 29, 2000
                          Dear Dee Dee,
                          Brain fog is synonymous with HCV. Whether on treatment or not. Although I
                          did find it worse while I was on the Intron A.
                          Love,
                          Bren
                        • Wendy
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 29, 2000
                            > From: "Dee Dee Taylor" <deetaylor76@...>
                            >
                            > Hi Wendy,
                            > After reading so much about memory loss here I'm wondering if my
                            memory-loss
                            > and swimmy-headedness isn't a symptom of HCV. I've been having alot of it
                            > lately. Are you on any treatment for your HCV or are you just treating it
                            > yourself and through a naturopath? I havn't started treatment yet. I
                            also
                            > assume I contracted some 30yrs. ago. Dee Dee

                            > Hi Dee Dee,
                            I hardly have any memory loss symptoms now. I stopped work last March &
                            devoted full time to my health. As time went by stress lessened and my mind
                            cleared. I think many factors come into memory loss..fluctuating hormones,
                            chronic illness & the fear that comes when we first are diagnosed. If I were
                            to try & work at the level I was before, the stress & brain fog symptoms
                            would return and my system would break down. As time goes on I hope to be
                            able to be more active., although it will be within the parameters that the
                            body can handle & still leave energy to deal with the virus.
                            I am not on any treatment for HCV. Have seen a hepatologist,naturopath & had
                            ultrasound. Significant changes to my health began when I began following
                            the ER4YT food guidelines recommended by my naturopath.There is info on that
                            at www.dadamo.com. For now I am going for liver enzyme tests once every 6
                            months for a year then a follow up visit to hepatologist. Had enzyme tests
                            once a month for 6 months before seeing hepatologist.AST/ALT slightly
                            elevated but not flutuating.

                            How are you feeling generally Dee? Are you considering treatment?

                            Is there anyone else on the list that has had HCV for many years and not
                            proceded with combo treatments?

                            Wendy
                            B.C. Canada
                            icq41748034(Mollie)
                          • Florence Morris
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 29, 2000
                              I get it too and no way am I anywhere near end stage. I am only Stage
                              2......Perhaps the medical field needs to re-acess our symptoms. If more
                              than two people share the same symptoms ?!?!?!?!

                              Florence

                            • Brendagoez@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 29, 2000
                                Dear Florence,
                                Brain fog exists in EVERYONE I know who has HCV. And trust me, only 1 is at
                                end stage liver disease out of the over 100 I know, both off and on line.
                                Again, on treatment it's worse but alot of it clears after treatment stops.
                                Love,
                                Bren
                              • Florence Morris
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 29, 2000
                                  Bren,

                                  I totally agree with you. I hope it does clear up after treatment, Bren,
                                  as I have been blaming it on my thyroid for years.
                                  Florence

                                  Dear Florence,
                                  > Brain fog exists in EVERYONE I know who has HCV. And trust me, only 1 is
                                  at
                                  > end stage liver disease out of the over 100 I know, both off and on line.
                                  > Again, on treatment it's worse but alot of it clears after treatment
                                  stops.
                                  > Love,
                                  > Bren

                                • alley/Patricia
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 30, 2000
                                    Dee Dee.. they say brain fog is only for those with end stage liver disease,
                                    but I swear, I got it too. I lose concentration easily, and have very little
                                    ability to stay focused. Maybe it's just the overall lack of energy that
                                    causes this. dunno.

                                    alley/Patricia
                                    ICQ 12631861
                                    alleypat@... <mailto:alleypat@...>
                                    http://www.mailbonus.com/index.cfm?ref=alleypat@...
                                  • alley/Patricia
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 30, 2000
                                      Wendi said <<Is there anyone else on the list that has had HCV for many
                                      years and notproceded with combo treatments?>>

                                      Yep. I have known about my hep C for about 10 years. Diagnosed in 89 when
                                      donating blood. Confirmed at doctors office. Nothing has been done since.
                                      Then I had insurance, now I don't. Now that I know that there are things I
                                      need like PCR, genotype and biopsy. But one step at a time. I am unemployed,
                                      no insurance etc. Interviewed Friday so wish me luck! And then still, I am
                                      not sure I'll do treatment. A lot will depend on the outcome of the biopsy.

                                      alley/Patricia
                                      ICQ 12631861
                                      alleypat@... <mailto:alleypat@...>
                                    • Dee Dee Taylor
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 1, 2000
                                        Hi Wendy,

                                        I'm surprised to hear you havn't sought out a second opinion. Do you feel
                                        you are getting the right treatment? Idle time.....scary. Has your Dr.
                                        suggested a biposy? I'm having a hard time waiting. My appt. is Feb. 11th.
                                        with my PCP who suggested me to wait till March to have more blood work
                                        done. I'm going in early to get Hep A & B vaccines and see about getting on
                                        estrogen therpy. The article on postmenapausal sounds like it might help to
                                        have successful results with HCV treatment. I really want to know what is
                                        going on with my liver so maybe I can speed up the second blood work and go
                                        on to having the biopsy. I've been feeling good. Only syptoms are the
                                        swimmy head..confusion....dizziness....I'm not tired or have any of the
                                        other symptons I've read about. I work full time and have two highschool
                                        children. Yes I suppose I'll go on treatment if the Hepatoligist beleives
                                        it to be the best thing for me. My work isn't physically demanding which I
                                        am thankful for. Treatment won't be an easy thing to go through but if
                                        everyone else can do it .....I can. My thoughts and prayers are with
                                        everyone now on treatment and thanks for sharing and letting me voice my
                                        concerns.....Dee Dee