protein

  • Go Friend
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2000
      Dear Sabrena,

      At my house, we eat a great deal of bean protein in
      the form of tofu. Especially for women, there are
      all sorts of other beneficial compounds in tofu.
      Instead of soy sauce, we use the Braggs amino acids,
      and cook without salt. We buy the lowfat tofu and
      then fry it in a little ghee (a form of clarified
      butter)in a non stick pan with a cover with various
      fresh vegetables to give it some flavor. Cayenne,
      cumin, ginger, and tumeric are good beneficial
      spices to use that also add flavor. Won't get into it
      here, but the saturated fat in ghee is actually not
      as harmful as other saturated fats as it is mostly
      short chain as opposed to the long chains found in
      other saturated fats. A small amount of ghee daily,
      1 to 2 tablespoons, is actually beneficial.
      biolobists and traditional healers know this, and in
      a few years the medical establishment may also catch
      up.

      So you can cover protein without animal proteins. The
      other down side of meat is that it inevitably contains
      blood, which is high in iron. Unless you know that
      you are anemic, it is best to avoid excess iron, as
      HCV thrives where there is an excess of iron in the
      liver. There are also correlations between high iron
      and cardiovascular conditions.

      I avoid any product, mostly, that haS any type of
      enriched flour in it, as I believe, and this is my
      own supposition not supported by scientific studies,
      that naturally occuring iron in complex is less likely
      to accumulate in the liver than the added iron. So
      yes, basically I only eat whole grains, although
      occasionally I will slip, it's too hard not to and I
      don't plex up about it.

      Another good source of protein is nuts. I eat a dozen
      almonds or pecans every day. They are great sources
      of mineral and high quality fiber also. Although high
      fat, the fat is not easily absorbed by the system and
      thus doesn't put on weight like other fats.

      Avoid trans fats like the plague. They are
      polyunsaturated fats that are heated at high
      temperatures in the presence of heavy metals so they
      stay solid at room temperatures. They are in
      practically everything you buy at the store, and are
      worse than saturated fats because they are artifically
      saturated and your body ends up with higher levels of
      peroxidated cholesterol, which is the really bad
      stuff on so many levels.

      Ghee, olive oil, nuts, and of course the king of
      oils, that found in freshly ground flaxseeds are
      beneficial. Partially hydrogenated oils are bad.
      "Good oils, good health. Bad oils, death.", as an
      elderly Greek I met in 1970 south of Kalamata once
      told me. He was an olive tree farmer.

      Yahoo! Photos -- now, 100 FREE prints!
      http://photos.yahoo.com