Peg...it's not a wonder drug, just the latest.

  • HepatitisCinAZ@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2000
      mrdelese@... writes:

      << Dr at U T Southwestern told me yesterday that trials using
      Peg/ribivirin are going on right now. Trials using Peg/ribivirin are
      starting this fall ; six months on trmt; non resp. will be three and a
      half yrs on small doses of INF. He also said they have numberous
      trial going on for Hep C. >>

      Just so you know, the trials for PEG have been going on for some time in
      Europe and have some good results.

      The FDA has not approved the use in the US yet. When I spoke to Tejal, a
      Schring-Plough rep, she told me that they had anticipated a Sept 2000 start
      date, but the FDA has made noises like they would rather wait until December
      2000.

      From the inside scoop, the FDA and the European version (the European Union’s
      (EU) Committee for Proprietary Medicinal Products (CPMP) of the European
      Agency for the Evaluation of Medicinal Products (EMEA) don't always see eye
      to eye on the research data. It is like a big brother being put off that a
      younger brother thinks they know better... it's an ego thing! It's also a
      monetary thing! The European's can be quicker at getting things moving,
      money talks!

      For some info go to:
      http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/hepatitis_abc/40400
      <A HREF="http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/hepatitis_abc/40400">PEG -
      Suite101.com</A>

      Unfortunately, there are many who will NOT be able to use this therapy
      either. What so many people forget, is it's still interferon! Just a
      coated, time release version. The numbers of responders have increased ...
      no doubt about that! But they are up to 40%+. Still not at 100% effective!
      (WE ALL ARE REALLY WAITING FOR THAT DREAM PILL THAT CURES ALL OF US)

      What will really make treatment for Hepatitis C patients better and more
      effective is using a therapy cocktail very much like the HIV/AIDS community
      does!!
      They take into consideration the detrimental side effects and help out the
      patients immune system with a barrage of products to build the body's own
      healing properties.

      There are currently 14 products in either R & D, clinical trials or awaiting
      approval to use on Hepatitis C patients. Primarily these products are being
      researched in Europe and Japan.

      The mainstay product is still interferon used in conjunction with other
      products, some with Ribavirin (Rebetron + other drugs)
      LY466700 (Anti-HCV) formerly known as HEPTAZYME is a ribozyme that
      selectively attacks Hepatitis C RNA and destroys it, preventing the
      production of virus cell replication.

      Word has it that LY466700 has no sides and is easier on the system, but more
      studies are needed and you know how that goes! Several years for research
      and clinical trials and then waiting for FDA to get off their duff!

      ZADAXIN thymosin alpha 1, an immunotherapy, is a new therapy for the
      treatment of Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C. Research indicates that ZADAXIN is
      extremely helpful for use in patients who have weakened immune systems.
      Currently approved in only 20 countries, (not the US) this product has
      entered into it's pivotal phase 3 with great reviews.

      more info:
      http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/hepatitis_abc/40401
      <A HREF="http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/hepatitis_abc/40401">ZADAXIN®
      used for HCV and HBV Patients - Suite101.com</A>

      Years from now modern science will have caught up with the demand, or at
      least we hope it will!
      In the mean time, we still can have hope.

      Sharon Nicholson

      Hepatitis Education & Patient Coalition (H. E. P. C.)
      Executive Director

      <A HREF="http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/hepatitis_abc">Hepatitis A, B,
      C's - editor Suite101.com</A>
      http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/hepatitis_abc