question

  • micky woolf
    Message 1 of 110 , May 26, 2000
      Dear friends,

      Hope everyone is good and getting ready for the weekend.
      I have a question for you, and I hope you can help me.
      I have a support group in Brazil, and one of the members is going
      through a bad time at the moment.
      He has a coagulation problem, ascites and low platelets and cirrhosis
      (I don't know what stage). His doctor told him that he couldn't give
      him any treatment due to his situation and said that in 5 years he
      will probably be on the transplant list.
      This man is desperate and really wants to try the combo, even though
      he was advised not to.
      The doctor also told him that in case he insists, he would have to
      sign a term of responsibility which he is prepared to do.
      I think that it is very dangerous to try it and told him so.
      I suggested he should change his life style, change his diet, go to a
      naturopath because at least he could improve his immune system and
      have a better quality of life until something less aggressive comes
      along, in terms of treatment.
      I would like to know from you if you have any advise to give, or if
      you could suggest something.
      I am not a doctor and all I can do is pass him the information I have.

      Thank you for any help you can give me.
      Micky
    • Shshonee
      Message 110 of 110 , Oct 7, 2004
        The longer you do treatment the more tired you get, that's pretty normal. The meds build up in your system over time and your body gets plum tuckered out.

        My hair thinned a lot on treatment, but it came back. I just whacked it all off. Was almost to my waist and I was too tired to mess with it on treatment so I cut it off to an inch or two all around and died it red and spiked it up punk (I was dark blonde lol). Talk about going wild! (for me that is wild, my husband nearly freaked). But it was fun :). I knew I couldn't maintain that long mess and had to cut it, why not have fun with it? Now I'm growing it out. It's down to my shoulders, about where I'll keep it now. I'm too lazy to mess with hair much anymore.

        I ordered groceries online (albertsons.com in my area delivers for $10.00 and it was worth the price cuz I was pooped), got a maid every other month to clean the toilets, and made sure the groceries were nukable and made the family cook for themselves while I hogged the remote and propped my feet up.

        Don't hesitate to take advantage of this time of your life. Look on the good side! You be sick. Make THEM work!! Their (the family) is good for something, we hope anyway. And if they don't, shame their lazy butts into it. lol I babysat my daughter's two preschoolers on treatment and they kept me busy and focused on other things so I really didn't get to lie around much, but they were good kids and daughter kept house for me on her day off. If hubby didn't do laundry, hubby had no clean clothes. If hubby didn't do dishes, hubby had no clean dishes. It's as simple as that. :)

        Nothing wrong with accepting you don't feel good, cuz you DON"T. And don't let nobody tell you no different. Most people don't feel peachy keen on treatment. Family don't like it, tell family to do treatment lol. Remind them that if it were cancer, they wouldn't be ignoring the situation. Tell them to substitute "cancer" for "hep C" and "chemo" for "treatment" and there ya go. They'd be all 'oh honey what can I do to help you, you poor thang'. Wouldn't they?

        My advice, use it. :) Take advantage of it best ya can.

        Don't feel guilty.

        It doesn't last forever.

        Relax.

        Take a deep breath.

        Get a big stick.

        Hit anybody who gives you a hard time up side the head and tell God they died (an old saying in my family, don't really do it, I'd be liable :).