Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Introduction

  • martine
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 1, 1989
      new email......www.photoart@...

      ----------
      > From: Tatezi <tatezi@...>
      > To: GIWorld-Hepatitis@egroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Introduction
      > Date: Sunday, October 29, 2000 10:42 AM

      Welcome, Elin....

      Everyone here is just wonderful so you'll feel right at home before you know
      it. And we all know what you are going through...it's a very difficult time
      when you frist learn that you are sharing your life with Hep C. But you do
      learn to live with it.

      There are so many different philosophies when determining how you are going
      to treat this disease. Some people put themselves in the hands of western
      medicine, some in the hands of eastern philosophies, some go completely
      natural and some combine all the different paths. But regardless of which
      path you follow, no one path has all the answers.

      Here is Dr. Sandra Cabot's link to her original site:
      http://www.whas.com.au/index.html <http://www.whas.com.au/index.html> Over the last year+ she has developed a
      liver health site and here is the link to that site:
      http://www.liverdoctor.com/liverquestionnaire.shtml <http://www.liverdoctor.com/liverquestionnaire.shtml> Her books are great and
      when she finally came out with the second book it picked up right where her
      first book has left off.

      My personal belief is that the way to managing Hep C is with nutrition and
      lifestyle. Everything we eat, breathe, absorb needs to be processed by the
      liver. I'm in treatment at this time after a year of working with eastern and
      herbal treatment plans. I haven't given up those philosophies, but have only
      added treatment to my regime. I've had no side effects to the treatment until
      recently which I attribute to my diet and lifestyle. However, it seems I'm
      starting to deal with the side effect from the rebetron destroying the
      neurotransmitters in my brain and am becoming increasingly irritable. But
      I'll work through this too.

      Glad to have you with us...you'll find a lot of support here.

      Tatezi

      Elin L Criswell wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > I just signed up with this list a few days ago. My husband, Danny, was
      > recently diagnosed with Hep C. It's been a crazy month. First, the
      > physical with the results of the blood work coming back, giving us this
      > news. Then, our first meeting with a gastro doctor, where he had us
      > schedule the liver biopsy. The biopsy was done this past Wednesday.
      > Next step is to see the gastro. doctor again on Nov. 9.
      >
      > So you all know what we are going through, as we start down this road.
      >
      > During the last few years, I have found myself in different "caregiving"
      > roles. I entered into helping with my parents, as my Mom fought uterine
      > cancer for 2 1/2 years. She died five years ago this December. My Dad
      > (who is now 87 years old) was able to live alone for 2 years, but in
      > March, 1998, he fell and broke his leg. Then my husband and our family
      > entered in as his caregivers. So that he could continue to live in his
      > own home (he didn't want to live with us in town)... we moved in with him
      > and we have been here now for 2 1/2 years.
      >
      > Being a caregiver for an elderly parent .... what can I say? There are
      > so many responsibilities. It's like caring for a child, only opposite.
      > When your babies are little, you take care of them, doing so much for
      > them that they can't do themselves. It's the same thing caring for a
      > parent, with the much-added stress of knowing that you never know when
      > their time on this earth will end.
      >
      > But then, Hep C entered our lives and it's a whole different ballgame.
      > It's not my parents we're talking about now ........ it's my husband.
      >
      > To tell you a little more about our family, Danny and I have been married
      > for 14 years, and we have three children, Becky, 11, Daniel, 9, and
      > Susan, 9 months. I've always been a stay-at-home Mom, and we also
      > homeschool.
      >
      > Hope ....yall.... (we live in Central Texas, ya know) don't mind me
      > being so wordy. I've spoken from the heart, and I'm "wordy" to begin
      > with. Take after my Ma.
      >
      > I've done alot of research on the web. I've gotten overwhelmed alot over
      > the different things I've been reading. Does this apply? Does that
      > apply? What? What? What? It's been very confusing at times.
      >
      > But I guess I'm beginning to adjust. Beginning to accept where we are at
      > with this.
      >
      > What we do know for sure at this point, is that after we met again with
      > the gastro. doctor .... if he doesn't meet our definition of a doctor who
      > will work with us........ we're dropping him and trying another. Thank
      > goodness (and Shalleen w/NHCC, Texas), we have a referral for a doctor
      > that does sound promising.
      >
      > I do have a couple of questions to throw out.
      >
      > What are the current thoughts on good amounts of Vitamin C & E, to take?
      >
      > Also, I could look this back up, but you someone save me time by telling
      > me the direct website of the lady doctor who has written a couple of

      eGroups Sponsor
      [<http://adimg.egroups.com/img/9640/15/_/619765/_/972830588/TargetHealth468x602F.gif>]
      <http://click.egroups.com/1/9640/15/_/619765/_/972830588/>

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 1989
        new email....www.photoart#vvm.com

        ----------
        > From: Mzgee1@...
        > To: GIWorld-Hepatitis@egroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [GIWorld-Hepatitis] Introduction
        > Date: Sunday, October 29, 2000 9:56 AM

        Hi there and welcome.....sorry you find yourself here..but I'm glad you found
        the sight. The doc you're talking about is Dr. Melissa Palmer (has a couple
        of books out) The books that are out are okay and worth wording to gather
        info. You can prob. find them at your local library. It sounds as if you
        have your hands totally FULL........especially having a 9 month old and your
        dad to care for. Home schooling is wonderful and admirable....but you might
        want to re-think it as time goes by. It would be OK to have a break during
        the day. I take it you haven't heard about your husband's biopsy yet.
        Here's praying it is only 'mild' stages'. Please let us know what the
        outcome is. God Bless you on this new journey...love, mzgee

        eGroups Sponsor
        [<http://adimg.egroups.com/img/9641/15/_/619765/_/972835051/TargetHome468x602F.gif>]
        <http://click.egroups.com/1/9641/15/_/619765/_/972835051/>
        Community email addresses:
        Post message: GIWorld-Hepatitis@onelist.com
        Subscribe: GIWorld-Hepatitis-subscribe@onelist.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:
        http://www.onelist.com/community/GIWorld-Hepatitis <http://www.onelist.com/community/GIWorld-Hepatitis>
      • byteme
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 14, 2000
          Dear Doc and All:
          I have made many comments on the list and it is time I introduce
          myself and offer some insight into why I so dedicated to "spreading the
          word" about HCV. First, I am a Family Nurse Practitioner in a center
          that is both "fast track" and primary care, in Florida. I am very
          interested in the subject for both personal and professional reasons.
          The personal reason is that my wife has HCV, and is currently
          undergoing combination therapy. Her exposure came after her "ex" threw
          her over an 8th story balcony at an Embassy Suite's Hotel, in late 89.
          Some many be familiar with parts of this, since this made National
          attention, because he was eventually court-martialed for "pre-meditated
          attempted murder". It was unusual, because there are many parts that
          were not made as public, including allegations of "nuclear espionage",
          in which the investigation is still pending. Back to the my interests on
          HCV.
          During the emergency surgery my wife had in excess of 52 units of
          whole blood transfused, because she developed "DIC". Three years ago,
          during "routine" bloodwork, her liver enzymes were elevated, about 2
          times normal. We followed the recommendations I was seeing and tested
          her for HCV. She tested positive, and, she was further worked up. Her
          enzymes shortly returned to normal, and her viral load was
          "undetectable". She was advised to repeat the hepatic profile in 6
          months.
          Her first set were still normal, but, the second set, six months
          later, were starting to elevate again. Her viral load was low, but
          detectable, HCV Quant 120 and Qual 5.8, with absolute neuts at 966.
          Could not find a hepatologist in the area, and the GIs insisted on a
          biopsy, even though therapy did not require it.
          Two weeks later, without a biopsy, she began the Interferon/Rebetrol
          Therapy. Her blood draw at this time came back with the HCV as
          undetectable. Like many others, her first night was hell, with chills,
          nausea, vomiting, and the like. This was despite her being premedicated
          with benadryl, phenergan and ibuprofen.
          Like most, her blood counts rapidly fell. Weekly blood draws were
          done, and her post interferon shots side effects began to decrease. We
          did learn to give the shots about 1-2 hours before bedtime, and she took
          ibuprofen just before bedtime, which relieved the side effects during
          the night.
          Like most people, she had fatigue, but, was able to work full time.
          She had her problems, including having to stop, after the second week of
          treatment, both the interferon and ribaviran for a week due to dropping
          counts. Her counts came back up to acceptable levels, but have always
          remained low. We dropped her ribaviran from 1,000 mg to 600 mg, and she
          has stayed on that dose. The interferon remained at 3 mu.
          She is beginning week 34 and her LFTs have stayed steady. Her viral
          loads have remained "undetectable". She has experienced the fatigue,
          and, she has had some unusual reactions to certain medications taken
          during the treatment, such as becoming hyper, and "creapy-crawly"
          syndrome from medications such as benadryl, and some sleeping
          medications. She has had hair loss, and her weight loss has stayed
          steady at 20 lbs, as has her thyroid levels.
          She did have some effects which we can not tell if they are
          medication related, or coincidental. Her vision totally changed, in that
          she has always been farsighted, and now she can not read with her
          glasses. Her lactose intolerance has decreased, but she is more
          sensitive to cold.
          Because of all the research I had done on her behalf, I became more
          and more interested in the disease and screening any potential victims.
          In the last year, I have identified 63 people, who never knew they were
          even at risk. I have also found out how ignorant the public and medical
          community still are, when it comes to HCV. I try to take any and every
          opportunity to educate, and I hope all others are doing the same.
          I also got to first handily experience being the spouse, friend, and
          family member of someone infected. Watching her counts drop, watching
          her in pain, fatigue, and trying to remain optimistic and "strong", have
          really taken a toll. I don't understand how anyone can go the treatment
          alone, because, without support, I can see how the disease may not be
          the only battle a patient has. The uncertainty is probably as much a
          problem as the actual disease and medications themselves.
          I know the numbers are growing, and I also believe that the word
          must get out to more and more people so that research and treatments
          will hopefully cure this epidemic. Ignorance is HCV's friend, and must
          be stopped. Like AIDS, this disease is consuming too many innocent
          victims. While AIDS, relatively speaking, was rapidly categorized in
          less than 10 years, HCV, has apparently been around in excess of 30
          years. Yet, not much more is known today, then 5 years ago.
          I have tried to make one of my goals to help and assist anyone,
          anywhere that I can. Networking seems to be a major goal for all, and I
          thank you for making your site. Marty
        • Doc
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 16, 2000
            Marty,
            Carry on your good work, more dedicated people like you go a long way in
            the fight against HCV.

            Dr SC Misra

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 15, 2000
              I thought it might be helpful if I told you guys who I am and where I'm
              coming from.

              I do not have HCV -- It is my much-loved Big Sis who does. Two years
              ago she was diagnosed with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD), which is
              basically a neurological issue. It's pretty ugly, and it is not
              uncommon with RSD to have it go whole body, and you end up in a
              wheelchair for life. In pain. With a morphine pump implanted to
              control the pain. Nothing can be done about RSD. It is another of
              those medical disasters for which there is no cure. On a pain scale,
              RSD can exceed the pain suffered by cancer victims. Fortunately, while
              the Sis is in extreme pain quite often, we have been able to
              aggressively fight it, and have contained her RSD pretty much to the
              original site of injury (left arm/shoulder area).

              One of the many ugly things about RSD is that it causes the immune
              system to take a walk. And with no immune system, it really didn't come
              as much of a surprise when the Big Sis was diagnosed with HCV last
              year. She was involved in a serious car accident in 1980, and went
              through 10-14 major surgeries in 1980/81 in attempts to save her foot.
              She still has her foot. The bonus was HCV from the transfusions.

              The Big Sis is 57, genotype 3a, stage 3, and scored an 11 on the
              Knodell system when she had her biopsy last November. The biopsy was a
              nightmare all by itself. Because of the RSD issues, extreme care had to
              be taken to prevent the RSD from going internal. She is borderline
              hemophiliac (and has been her entire life), so they have to really watch
              the bleeding issues. Ohh. I almost forgot to mention the pseudomonis
              issues that come up when she has surgeries. That requires a 30-day
              confinement. (Fortunately, the pseudomonis didn't pop up during the
              biopsy procedure.) During the biopsy procedure, they apparently
              overshot and punctured her gallbladder. Three days after the biopsy she
              was admitted for a "small heart attack" brought on by extreme pain . . .
              from the screwed-up biopsy! Internal bleeding was discovered. Oh. We
              also had a little issue of e-coli that also popped up. That was also
              pinned on the biopsy procedure. Trust me. This Sis of mine is no walk
              in the park!!!

              We have done a great deal of researching and learning what we can of
              HCV in the past year. I figured out when she was diagnosed with RSD
              that groups such as this were of utmost importance. You can read
              reports and articles and understand what the doctors and researchers
              have to say, but getting in amongst those who have to deal with it on a
              day-to-day basis is imperative. Naturally, when the HCV was diagnosed,
              I hopped in there and found several HCV and Liver chat groups, put on my
              seat belt, and started reading. My Sis does not have a computer (and
              does not necessarily want one. Yet. She thinks it's fun that I spend
              on all this time getting the information for her. I read, research, go
              nuts, and print out tons of stuff. For her birthday a couple of years
              ago, I got her a handy-dandy fax machine, and get information to her
              either by fax or mail.

              While I spin around and get her information and answers to her
              questions, it remains her decision in terms of treatment options. On
              that basis, she elected to go for it and try the combo 2-1/2 months
              ago. And hasn't that been fun!!!!

              After four weeks on the combo, her system crashed. Of course she had
              the bad parts of all the side effects, and the anemia. Her blood count
              kept dropping, and she was pulled off the combo. The doctors were
              shocked that she was able to hang in as long as she did, and even at
              that, she was screaming about being pulled off. And her blood count
              still kept dropping. When it got down to a 2, they decided she had to
              have a couple of transfusions to get her back on the road to recovery.
              Those transfusions freaked her out -- after all, she got HCV from
              transfusions in the first place -- but they seemed to do the trick.
              (She's taking the position that the blood is being better tested at this
              point, so she isn't concerned about getting HIV. However, there remains
              the possibility that the blood might be coming from some weird-o, so she
              seems to think if she gets any weirder than she is, she can blame it on
              the recent transfusions. My response? "NOT." I promise there are
              times I just want to slap her!!!)

              At any rate, she started back up on the combo three (?) weeks ago, and
              seems to be doing better this time. She did only the injections the
              first two weeks, and added in two pills daily (200 mg. each) one week
              ago. Apparently you need to reach a 12 to clear the anemic condition,
              and as of Thursday, she is at 11.2. Much better than the 2 she was at
              before.

              On a personal level, she is divorced, has three children and three brat
              grandchildren. She lives in Everett, Washington with one of her kids
              and the three grandchildren (they rent a house). I live in Southern
              California, and have monster telephone bills each month. As a teenager,
              the Sis was a semi-regular on American Bandstand when they were filming
              in Hollywood, and that pretty much tells you what kind of person she
              is. On her good days, she is the life of every party, and more often
              than not, is in the center of the crowd raising the roof and hooting and
              hollering. When we went to Catalina a couple of years ago for a Fourth
              of July weekend, she was, of course, the first one to fall off the
              barstool.

              Prior to her car accident in 1980, she managed a doctor's office in
              Orange County, so she has a fairly good understanding of medical
              issues. I have been in the legal profession since 1966, and am pretty
              good at researching things. So between the two of us, I'd be willing to
              bet our combined IQ is somewhere close to 100. HA!

              I was recently asked by one of the kids in the RSD group how the Sis
              was doing with the combo. I said that the Sis is like a quarterback
              making an end-run for a goal. The entire defense attempted to tackle
              her and put her down, but she got up, grabbed that ball, and is still
              hauling ass down the field. She wants that goal! I can . . . and do .
              . . stand on the sidelines watching her and cheering her on. But there
              is nothing I can do to help her carry that ball. Fortunately, she is
              busy hauling ass down that field, so she can't turn around and watch me
              watching her. More often than not, I am blinded by my tears.

              Sorry this has been so long. But that's the deal with the Big Sis,
              kids.

              In advance, I want to thank you for being there, being willing to share
              so openly your experiences with the combo, and for allowing me to be a
              part of it. No one gets through life -- or this particular nightmare --
              alone.

              My thoughts, prayers, and strongest hope for remission is with each
              one of you.

              Nancy (aka the Terrified Little Sister)
            • Elin L Criswell

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 28, 2000
                  Dear Elin,
                  Hi, and welcome to this group! You will find
                  lots of support here.
                  I believe the web site you are talking about is
                  Dr. Melissa Palmers. http://liverdisease.com/ If
                  that is not the right one let me know.
                  I take 800IU of vitamin E, and 1000mg. of vitamin
                  C daily. I don't think you will find any one agreed
                  upon dose recommendation of either. I also highly
                  recommend taking milk thistle. There has been a lot
                  of good evidence that it will help protect the liver,
                  and I have read that it also has anti-fibrotic
                  properties. No, I don't think it is some miracle cure,
                  just something that can help.
                  It sounds like you have your hands full at home!
                  Try to just take one day at a time. And don't forget
                  to take care of yourself too! This is a good place to
                  'vent' when things get crazy or you feel overwhelmed.
                  Take care,

                  http://im.yahoo.com/
                • Ken & Pat @home
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 29, 2000
                    Hi Elin!

                    Nice to meet you. I'm in the Dallas area :)

                    Great introduction too! I'm sorry to hear about your Dad and your husband.
                    How is your husband feeling? Hep Symptoms?

                    I'm 45, wife, mom of 2 grown kids, gramma to 3. I've known about my hep
                    since about 87/88 but only recently these past few years began learning
                    about it, as the doc I had at the time knew nothing. My hep symptoms over
                    the years kept getting worse and worse - insomnia, joint pain, muscle aches,
                    irritability, headaches etc. Finally last spring I got a great liver doc and
                    started treatment. My PCR is 1.3 million, genotype 1B, and mild liver
                    inflamation. I'm on my 6th month of treatment and my PCR is in a few weeks.
                    I'm so excited!

                    The combo has actually helped me feel better. The very first shot took away
                    my joint pain and muscle aches. But over time the fatigue with treatment has
                    gotten worse. But that is temp.

                    I don't know about amounts of vitamins. I do know to reduce your iron. My
                    doc has OK'd lots of vitamin C and E and B. Drink a lot of water, and have
                    hubby rest as much as he can if he feels bad. As for diet, I just try to use
                    common sense - fresh fruit and veggies, NO ALCOHOL, reduce caffeine,
                    eliminate processed foods, etc.

                    Nice to meet you :) Glad you found us

                    alley/Patricia
                    ICQ 12631861
                    alleypat@...
                    http://www.flash.net/~alleypat
                  • Mzgee1@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 29, 2000

                      • RLWINNE@cs.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 30, 2000
                          Elin

                          Welcome to this list you will find it so much help in the journey you are
                          beginning. Please reach out to us and vent if needed because that is why we
                          are here to help and sooth each other. My husband is the one with Hep C also
                          and has been on the Rebetron for 14 months we are waiting to go back to the
                          doctor on the 13th of November and we are hoping he will be off of it then.
                          I will be thinking of you on the 9th of this month and hoping you get good
                          news about the biopsy. this is a great bunch of people!!!!! Try to stay
                          positive!! You seem to have your hands full already without this latest
                          development so let us help you through it.

                          Winne
                        • Suzy Balone
                          Message 12 of 12 , Oct 31, 2000
                            Elin,
                            Welcome to the group! Sounds like you have your hands full too, Good luck
                            with your doc and hope he/she meets yours needs and good luck

                            Suzy

                            http://profiles.msn.com