Campaign Addresses Unsafe Injection Practices

  • scarletpaolicchi
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 15, 2009
      Campaign Addresses Unsafe Injection Practices
      By Natasha Emmons
      Monday March 9, 2009

      Nurses should know better. Syringes, IVs, and vials are never used more than
      once. It's basic nursing pratice taught in every nursing school program. But
      something has gone wrong.

      A spate of hepatitis B and C infections traced to unsafe injection practices at
      ambulatory care centers across the country has prompted the U.S. Centers for
      Disease Control and Prevention to join a new national education campaign
      emphasizing safe injection practices to nurses and other healthcare workers.

      "We now have to make sure we're watching what we thought was being done safely
      and correctly and has turned out to have a huge margin of error," says Jackie S.
      Rowles, CRNA, MA, MBA, FAAPM, president of the American Association of Nurse
      Anesthetists, which heads up the Safe Injection Practices Coalition, the
      official sponsor of the education campaign. "We have to be extra diligent in
      everything we do - watching how medications are drawn up, prepared, and
      administered. We have to be willing to step forward and protect the patient,
      even if we have a fear of retribution."

      Contaminated needles are not the only culprit. More often, re-use of syringes,
      IV fluid, and medication vials are the means of transmission. The campaign -
      titled "One & Only" - stresses that infections such as hepatitis C, hepatitis B,
      and HIV can travel back through needles into syringes. If a contaminated needle
      or syringe comes in contact with a medication vial or IV fluid bag, that vial or
      bag becomes contaminated. This appears to be where the short-circuit lies.

      "We need everyone to realize the potential that [mistakes] have and not have
      this laissez-faire attitude that 'I can cut corners,'" Rowles says. "It's
      nursing school 101."

      A study commissioned by the AANA in early 2003 found 1 in 100 nurses surveyed
      had reused needles or syringes, putting about 1 million people at risk. "The
      excuses we've heard are they were told by their boss to do this to save money,
      it's done to save time, or it's easier," Rowles says. "I think there are a lot
      of pressures on providers of all kinds when they're out in the workplace and
      sometimes they just make bad judgments."

      A CDC study published in the Jan. 6 issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine
      revealed 33 outbreaks in nonhospital healthcare settings in the past decade: 12
      in outpatient clinics, six in hemodialysis centers, and 15 in long-term care
      facilities, resulting in 448 people acquiring hepatitis B or C infections. In
      each setting, the infection was tranferred patient-to-patient through failure of
      healthcare personnel to adhere to fundamental principles of infection control
      and aseptic technique, for example, reuse of syringes or lancing devices.

      Co-author of the report Nicola D. Thompson, MS, PhD, epidemiologist, Division of
      Viral Hepatitis, CDC, said all healthcare professionals, from physicians to
      nurses to technicians were implicated in the incidents. The reasons behind the
      lax procedures are unclear, however, Thompson says.

      "Somewhere along the line there's been a breakdown, maybe because there's not
      been sufficient focus on infection control during medical training," Thompson
      says. "People who have been involved in these outbreaks sometimes reported they
      had been instructed to do things in a certain way to limit costs."

      Although the AANA has been working on this safety issue since 2002,
      injection-related outbreaks did not receive widespread attention until a slew of
      infections were traced to two Nevada endoscopy clinics last year.

      The Southern Nevada Health District began a hepatitis C exposure registry last
      year to gather information related to former patients of the Endoscopy Center of
      Southern Nevada and the Desert Shadow Endoscopy Center. Seven patients who
      received anesthesia injections in 2007 at the ECSN and one in 2006 from the DSEC
      have been diagnosed with acute hepatitis C linked to procedures performed at the
      clinics.

      In the same 10-year period studied, comparatively few outbreaks were logged in
      hospital settings - seven outbreaks resulting in 48 infections, according to the
      CDC report. Acute care hospitals often have a dedicated infection control
      officer on staff, Thompson says.

      "It seems as though an increase in outbreaks parallels the increase in
      outpatient settings," Thompson says. "There's a need for improved professional
      oversight and licensing of these facilities."

      The ability of the health or governmental jurisdiction to inspect, license, or
      certify nonhospital healthcare agencies varies, according to the CDC report.
      Laws and ability to regulate these healthcare facilities differ in each state.
      In New York, for example, facilities that offer office-based surgery will be
      required to obtain accreditation from a nationally recognized accrediting
      organization, such as the Joint Commission. To facilitate inspection and
      regulation of these facilities, it would be beneficial if some similar
      standard-of-care oversight could be achieved throughout the United States, the
      report stated.

      Because of the high incidence of hepatitis transmission at hemodialysis centers,
      CDC recommendations specific to this setting include the use of additional
      infection control measures, routine hepatitis B vaccination of patients
      receiving dialysis, and routine screening to detect new hepatitis B and C
      infections. Vaccination of diabetic long-term care residents may also be
      warranted, the report stated. Six of the 97 hepatitis B infections recorded at
      these facilities resulted in death.

      Education is key, Thompson says. "It's inherently important that people in these
      settings, including RNs, are familiar with the recommendations," Thompson says.

      Infection control guidelines can be obtained from the AANA via the association's
      Web site, www.aana.com, or by calling 847-692-7050, and through the CDC at
      www.cdc.org or by calling 800-232-4636. A PowerPoint presentation illustrating
      safe injection practices can be downloaded at
      http://emergency.cdc.gov/coca/ppt/UnsafeInjectionPractices032708.ppt.

      http://include.nurse.com/article/20090309/NATIONAL01/103090149/-1/frontpage

      Best Wishes,
      Scarlet