question for the group

  • Lorad8@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 30, 2006
      Hi,

      I've been quiet a long time, now I need some help. My brother, a recovering
      30-year alcoholic just called from his home in North Carolina. He has been
      going through many, many tests: colonoscopy, endocscopy, and most recently,
      a ct of the liver trying to find out why he is losing weight and having so
      much pain in his shoulders and hips. We knew his liver was enlarged, and were
      hoping the aches and pains were due to his age - 52 years old.

      The results of the CT Scan were explained to him by his doctor, but he
      understands not what the good doc said. He said the doctor said something about
      "liver lytic serp", small intestine and cancer. They want to do a biopsy of
      his shoulder and hip to find out "something".

      I apologize for the vague information here, does anyone have a clue?

      Thank you,
      Lora

    • avansi7465
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 31, 2006
        Dear Lora,

        Based on what you've said, my best guess would be a metastatic carcinoma, but I tend to be a tad pessimistic, to say the least. "Serp" doesn't fit, but septa semia might. Where in N. C. is he? If I can be of any help, please let me know.

        Prayers and hugs,

      • Mzgee1@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
          Hi...I haven't been here in ages, but read the posts. I'm not familiar with
          that terminology, but just wanted to tell u how sorry I am. Hopefully, there
          is some treatment available for him. Is there someone who can go with him in
          order to get better info at his next appointment? I hope u are doing okay. I
          am still in remission & feeling well. God bless, gail

        • Lorad8@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
            Anne,

            Thank you for your prayers and hugs. I was able to speak with my brother's
            doctor in Wilmington, NC. The CT scan showed cancer in my brothers liver,
            lung, spine and shoulder. It doesn't look good. They are going to do a biopsy
            of his shoulder on Tuesday. The largest "spot" is on his shoulder. The
            resulting chemo and possibly radiation will be very expensive and because he has
            no insurance (I've been paying his medical bills to this point), the
            doctor's office will help him get his appealed Disability claim expedited. I filed
            for disability for him in May, it was denied for lack of diagnosis, I
            appealed in September, and hopefully, things will happen now. I love my brother
            enormously, and would not think twice about taking out a huge loan to support
            the chemo.

            So, the prognosis looks grim. I'm not sure how they could possibly attack
            all the sights of cancer at one time. I'm going to be learning a lot...

            Again, thanks for hugs and prayers,
            lora

          • Lorad8@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
              Gail,

              I'm so happy that you continue in remission and are feeling well. I did
              speak with my brother's doctor's nurse yesterday. I will fly down to North
              Carolina to be with him for his first visit to the oncologist so that I can pay
              attention and take notes and he doesn't have to.

              I will keep you all posted. My mom and sister are flying down there this
              weekend to be with him.

              Thank you again for all the positive thoughts,

              Lora

            • alleypat@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
                Lora, I wish the best to your brother and let us know what happens.
                Alley
                www.alleypat.com

              • alleypat@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
                  On disability... I got my check 3 months after applying. It can be tricky in a way because all that medical stuff has to be all in order. Good luck on all that.

                  Alley
                  www.alleypat.com

                • avansi7465
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
                    Dear Lora,

                    I'm so sorry you're having to go through this...and your brother as well. I know most of the oncologist in Wilmington, as they used to be my customers. The good news is that I don't know a bad one.

                    Sometimes cancers metastisize like rabbits reproduce. That doesn't mean that chemo won't work or at least get your brother into remission.

                    I'll be in Clinton, N. C. next week visiting my Mother from Tuesday through Friday AM. It's her 80th birthday week! At any rate, Clinton is about an hour northwest of Wilmington. Her number is 910-592-4663, so don't hesitate to call if there's anything that I can do.

                    David and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

                  • Mzgee1@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 2, 2006
                      Lora, God Bless and keep him and you in peace. gail