multivitamin

  • Pamela Venus
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 11 6:30 PM
      I'm looking for the best multivitamin for my husband, Philip, who has Hep C.
      I know it needs to have no iron, low vitamin A-what about iodine? I thought
      that was contraindicated for something-I can't remember if it was because of
      the Hep C or his thyroid? Is there anything else that should be avoided in
      a multivitamin? Thanks,

      Pamela Venus

    • avansi7465
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12 12:25 PM
        Hi Pamela,

        Glad to hear from you again. You might want to think about trying what I do for Philip. I decide what vitamins I want and take them individually. This keeps me from getting stuff I don't need and allows me to get more of what I do need with out taking more than just the multi.

        Take care,

      • Alley Pat
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12 3:30 PM
          I can't say what's best for your husband. I take a multivitamin no iron, a B-complex, a folic acid, one that is magnesium, calcium, zinc, and one that is fish oil, at the minimum, sometimes some of them twice a day, depending on how active I'm being at the time or stressed. A lot depends on what stage his liver is. Highly cirrhotic livers can't handle a lot of things one that is stage 1 or 2 will handle easily and the body needs. Best thing to do is talk to his gastro and follow that advice.

          Good luck :)

          Alley
          www.geocities.com/dfwhcv

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13 10:48 AM
            You definitely want to avoid vitamin/mineral supplements with iron. That is the biggest, although not the only one to watch out for. Any thing that is stored in fat, vs. being water soluble, should be taken in no more than the maximum RDA, and less is probably safer. Fat soluble vitamins are: A, D, E, and K. You also need to be cautious with the B vitamin Niacin. It can cause liver damage in very large doses. All minerals you need to be cautious with, but since the liver often doesn't metabolize some properly it is easy to become deficient. Many people with liver disease are deficient in magnesium. In order for things like calcium and magnesium (and really all vitamins and minerals) to be best absorbed and utilized within the body they need to be taken together and in the right proportion. Sometimes this can be very hard to do. I continually find that mineral supplements tend to have not enough calcium and magnesium for the amount of vitamin D they put in there. The best
            calcium supplement I have found is Citrical Plus with Magnesium. All doses are safe when taken at no more than 4 a day. More is probably OK in some people. It has B-6 in it a a high dose, but it doesn't become a problem until more than 2000mg daily. Most vitamin supplements don't have enough minerals, and its usually best to take a mineral supplement separate from vitamins anyway. As for iodine, most people get all they need if they use iodized salt.

            The very best source of all vitamins and minerals is in the diet, not supplements. However, most of us don't eat the way this would require!

            Claudine