Fw: Patients trust docs, but often use the Internet

  • Alleypat
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 13, 2005
      got this from the Melanoma list I'm on .... Alley
      ---------------------

      Subject: [MEL-L] Patients trust docs, but often use the Internet

    • avansi7465
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 13, 2005
        Thanks Alley,

        That was interesting. I wouldn't use the Internet to make a final decision, but I wouldn't go to my doctor uninformed, either.

        Because I repaired microscopes for EVMA and MUSC, I had access to medical libraries long before I had a computer to look info up on. These libraries were open to the public. You were free to sit and read during regular hours as long as the books weren't on reserve for the medical students or residents. I did. I would hope others took advantage of this, too. The Internet just makes getting the information SO much easier.

        What 's the word on your health?

        Hugs and Prayers,

        got this from the Melanoma list I'm on .... Alley
        ---------------------

        > http://www.reutershealth.com/en/
        >
        > *Patients trust docs, but often use the Internet*
        >
        > /Last Updated: 2005-12-12 16:01:00 -0400 (Reuters Health)/
        >
        > NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Patients in the United States are likely to
        > first turn to the World Wide Web when seeking health information, even
        > though they trust their physicians more to provide them with accurate
        > medical information, results of a nationally representative survey
        suggest.

        > "The context in which patients consume health information has changed
        > dramatically with diffusion of the Internet, advances in telemedicine,
        > and changes in media health coverage," lead investigator Dr. Bradford W.
        > Hesse and his associates point out in their report, published in the
        > Archives of Internal Medicine.
        >
        > To track these changes, Hesse, who is with the National Cancer Institute
        > in Bethesda, Maryland, and his associates analyzed data obtained from
        > the first Health Information National Trends Survey (HINTS),
        > administered by telephone to 6,369 adults between October 2002 and April
        > 2003.
        >
        > The results showed that 63.0 percent of respondents had ever used the
        > Internet. Of these, 63.7 percent had looked there for some type of
        > health or medical information. Other health-related Internet activities,
        > such as purchasing medication, communicating with physicians, or
        > participating in an online support group, were taken advantage of by
        > less than 10 percent of users.
        >
        > The authors report that 62.4 percent of respondents said that they
        > trusted physicians "a lot" for cancer information, compared with 23.9
        > percent for the Internet.
        >
        > When asked where they would prefer to go first for information about
        > cancer, 49.5 percent reported wanting to go to their physicians. In
        > actuality, only 10.9 percent of those who sought information about
        > cancer reported having gone to the physician as the first source of
        > information, whereas 48.6 percent went to the Internet first.
        >
        > "Ongoing attention may be needed to adjust reimbursement policies for
        > time spent with patients interpreting printouts, for accommodating
        > shifts toward informed and shared decision making, for steering
        > consumers to credible information sources, and for attending to the
        > needs of those who fall through the cracks of the digital divide,"
        > Hesse's group suggests.
        >
        > They intend to repeat the HINTS biennially, which "should serve as an
        > important bellwether for dramatic changes in the national health
        > information environment."

      • Alleypat
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 14, 2005
          Well since I can't walk much or sit at the moment, the net is all I got :) I've got this weird sciatica thing going on, 2nd week now. ick! hurts like hell, but getting slowly better (slowly the operative word here)

          Happy Holidays all!

          Alley
          www.alleypat.com

        • avansi7465
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 15, 2005
            Mine kicks in occassionally, especially now that I've gained weight. It does hurt like hell. The only thing I can recommend is stretch exercises and lots of pain medication. Even then it takes awhile. What a nasty thing to have a Christmas. Hope that problem goes away soon.

            Merry Christmas,